General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one way to convince them is to not let them see youre looking at this site

and a dak r/t getting 30mpg? ha! my slightly modded 02 r/t got maybe 14mpg in town, and all i had done was exhaust, air intake, and chip. the way my car is modded now i still get 18-19 in town and 22-25 on the highway
Old 07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lady is fking on drugs, seriously. She convinced my mom her 5.9 ram got 30mpg and that I should buy it, mainly because she is sick of the problems. I laughed when I saw her ''gas mileage chip'', which was a JET chip. MY friend has an SST and that lowered his mpg hardcore.

I'm planning on taking care of the car to the max basically. Rainy days it will be in the garage, snow the same. I have a beater car to drive.

Working on it is another huge advantage for me. I'm in an auto mechanics class for HS where I go for 2.5 hours every day. I'm sick of wasting money into my Heep with 188k miles, and want something that I can see where the money is going to. I'll be able to save a ton of money on mods because I will be doing them all myself. I can do anything from oil changes to pulling motors and rebuilding trannys, and half the time I just did detailing like wax, wash, and vaccuum.

Am I young? Yes.. but I don't really care. Life is too short man, I dont wanna spend the first 1/5 of it being unhappy. Driving the car with blindspots and etc is really no problem for me, I've drivin a few fbodies and a wide array of vehicles. I'm also pretty tall (short enough to fit comfortably, tall enough to see over the dash ) So I can see around the car pretty good.

Parents are usually right but I just don't see where I'm going wrong here. Insurance IS high(er), but any newer vehicle with full coverage will be.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Oh and about seeing this site, not to worry I gave my em my old computer when I built this one a month ago, so it's never disturbed
Old 07-08-2006, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Oh and I'm a dodge fan, but they have tons of problems. For one, they're definatly not known to be economy vehicles, and they are bugged with tranny problems. Also like someone said before, after you put a few miles on them they all crap out at once.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

i got mine at 16 and got no tickets but i dont understand if its your money do what you want its not like they can take it away if its all yours. But i recommend having them buy it or so becuase if the title is theres and there the primary insurance wont be too bad. save alot money if thats an issue at all. If not complain alot and site alot of reasons why this car is better then others thats what i did
Old 07-08-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Man you may not like this but If I was your folks I would say no also. The LS1 are silly fast just bone stock, and I guarantee that as soon as you drive it you are gonna want to start saving pennies for mods to make it even faster. I'm sure you are very responsible but you never can tell what is gonna happen, that's why its called an accident. And yeah you can easily have a wreck in a dakota but over 300 rwhp in a 3700 pound car makes it a whole lot easier. I've had camaros almost as long as I've been driving ('82 'Z, 86 IROC, & 87 IROC) and I had a lot of fun in them but those cars were NOTHING compared to my LS1 even when it was bone stock. I know a lot of you are going to disagree very much with this, but I have said a few times that a 16 year old does not need a car like this. You may be a great driver in a beater truck, but get behind the wheel of an M6 LS1 and . And good luck on the insurance, when I first got my car at 23 I was paying $350 a month, switched to Progressive and now I pay $200, but still. My buddy pays $80 a month (full coverage) for his 2003 S/C Harley Truck. So, as a lot of people have mentioned, maybe it would be best to start off with something just a little more milder like an LT1 (or a lot milder like an Mustang ) But whatever you do, good luck and please be safe man.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

I can see your views and I'm not trying to bash you at all, but you can roll doing 100mph in any vehicle. Also, if people don't like you, they will **** up your car no matter what it is.

My friend has an LT1 and I must say I'm not a fan of it. I have driven some silly fast cars before (420 to the wheels NA in a Z) so any new car will seem mild

I honestly plan on doing full exhaust, lid, and little mods. Don't plan on pulling the motor and H/C or anything like that. I'm starting late, I wanted to buy a car and have it paid for before I go to college but it doesn't seem like that will happen with anything nice now.

I think I may have talked her into one, I had a convo with her just a few mins ago and since we're both off tomorrow we're going to check on the car. My mom has the cash saved to buy the car, so I'm going to see if she will do that and I can pay her monthly. Don't pay and she takes the keys, just like a bank.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Launching!

i'm 16 and i just got my LS1 about a month ago (Z28 M6). it took some talking to the parents to let me get it but eventually i talked them into it. i'm also pretty responsible. insurance isn't too bad for me (also good student discount). after i got the car my dad found out how fun it is to drive. before thsi i was driving an '01 Chevy silverado and this is much easier to drive just because of the size difference and handling. The worst thing about it is the "deal" i have with my mom is the car is sold if get a ticket, no questions asked. good luck and know it is possibe to talk them into one, especially if it's your money.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was 16 when my dad handed me down my '94 TA. It was an LT1, but it was awesome. Like most typical kid-racer-with-fast-car stories, I did get into an accident that totaled that beautiful car.

But don't let those stories stop you. Teen years are good years, and nothing says "American" like having the keys to a big, hulking V8. It's like cake and ice cream, or strawberry and banana; few things go so well together.

Yes, f-bodies handle like trash in snow, and depending on your tires, rain too. Their long hoods, blind spots, weight, and power give the car a considerable learning curve. I can't say you sound responsible because that's a hard thing to gauge online. But I can say that everyone at that age is deserving of a chance. Not everyone wrecks their first (fast) car.

The best way to convince your parents to support you getting your car? There isn't one. You're talking about a proven 13-second car. All you have to do is tell your parents it has a Corvette's engine, and they won't even stay to hear the rest. What you need is trust, build that however you can. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
I beg to differ. My TA was crap in the rain. I was glad I had traction control. Seriously it was a horrible to drive in the rain. Oddly enough the Z doens't have that problem (maybe due to irs).
It's all in the tires. Like I said my car does better in the rain than the Expedition but mainly due to the tires. Now snow is a whole other story.

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
28-30 mpg? Yeah maybe when coasting in 6th gear doing 60 mph under 2,000 rpms. Only expect this kind of mileage on long trips with few stops. In reality expect about 15-18 city. It may very depending on driving habits. I think the LS6 Z gets better mileage than my LS1 TA did. The driver's information center shows that I regularly get between 19-21 mpg, 80% city driving. I also drive like a grandma though and very few people on this board who own LSx's drive like I do.
Yep 28 - 30 mpg. It's obviously highway mileage though. I got 32 on one trip. 6th gear doing 75 the whole way. Now daily commuting with me driving the car pretty hard I get about 18 mpg.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
I can see your views and I'm not trying to bash you at all, but you can roll doing 100mph in any vehicle.
um... no.

my first car - i could mash the accelerator to the floor in top gear and i would be lucky if the car held 69mph.

also, the power steering would quit working when it rained.

that's how all first-car experiences should be.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you should convince them to get you a nice 93-97 LT1 car. My first F-Body was an LT1, it was a nice car but had 88k when I bought it and I learned a lot driving it, I scraped the curb a few times... never had any accidents, but I basically learned how to drive a big V8 Powered RWD car and not killing myself in it... I also learned how expensive it was to maintain such a car at the age of 17 and how even 1 ticket will effect your insurance rates. After about a year my LT1 was approaching 100,000 miles and I convinced my Grandpa to co-sign another loan for Me based on my driving in the LT1, and wanting a better car for college. At first he was like hell no, you shouldn't have bought one in the first place, but after a little thinking they came to realize how responsible and happy I was since owning my LT1... I took pride in that car and it showed... so he co-signed and I'm driving around a beautiful Black 98Z now with much more respect for F-Bodies. The car isn't perfect but close enough for Me. I'm 18 now and I started off wanting an LS1 just like you, but settled for the LT1 and a year down the road here I am in the car I've always wanted. So settle for the LT1 if you can talk them into it, and get used to an F-Body and owning one before jumping right into an LS1 car.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

I would take an LT1, but looking around most of them seem to be trashed or with high miles. If I find either specific car that I want, the fact that it's an LT1 wouldn't stop me. I just happened to find an LS1 that is exactly what I want so I posted asking about it. The thing is my parents don't know the difference between an LT1 and an LS1 so that is a mute point, and insurance is $3 more a month going from a 97-98.. probably because the one year and not the engine.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

um..there's a lil stipulation that most people overlook. If you're a minor, you have no legal possessions. That includes money that you make...so even if he busts his ***** getting the money, his parents can still legally stop him. why do you think so many child stars get emancipated from their parents?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you, and I was once, I suggest buying something that is not quite as powerful. Learn how to drive a rear wheel drive car first. At 17 you do not have the experience base to call yourself a good driver.
In the US anyone can get a license, I can promise you do not have the training to make up for lack of experience.
I suggest looking at buying a crappy older sports car and then get a LS1. Think of it as getting your bachelors degree before you get your masters degree.
Look at perhaps: a older SN95 mustang gt 215hp, Mark III Supra 230hp, 3rd gen f body 225hp, fox body 5.0 ect. These cars handle in a similar way to a late model f body but without the power level.
Build your way up to an LS1. Thats what I did, hell I still look at it like that. Next on my list is the ZO6! Good Luck bro.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
um..there's a lil stipulation that most people overlook. If you're a minor, you have no legal possessions. That includes money that you make...so even if he busts his ***** getting the money, his parents can still legally stop him. why do you think so many child stars get emancipated from their parents?
I was going to say this earlier but forgot . Parent permission is DEFINATLY a must.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLCKBRD
If you're paying for it all yourself and your own insurance, why do you need their permission? Just buy it and be responsible.

lol probibly because hes living in their house? Thats quite a bit of leverage
Old 07-08-2006, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
If I were you, and I was once, I suggest buying something that is not quite as powerful. Learn how to drive a rear wheel drive car first. At 17 you do not have the experience base to call yourself a good driver.
In the US anyone can get a license, I can promise you do not have the training to make up for lack of experience.
I suggest looking at buying a crappy older sports car and then get a LS1. Think of it as getting your bachelors degree before you get your masters degree.
Look at perhaps: a older SN95 mustang gt 215hp, Mark III Supra 230hp, 3rd gen f body 225hp, fox body 5.0 ect. These cars handle in a similar way to a late model f body but without the power level.
Build your way up to an LS1. Thats what I did, hell I still look at it like that. Next on my list is the ZO6! Good Luck bro.
Note my post above where I said what I meant by ''being a good driver.''

I've driven LSD RWD on sand roads, mud, rain, snow, ice, etc.. so I know how to handle one pretty well and know what they tend to do. Obviously an LS1 car is going to be a big jump in power but I still know the main characteristics of how a RWD handles.

See I dont want to start with 5 crappy cars, because you GENERALLY don't get out of them what you pay for them and you just have the hassle of buying and selling all of them. I may just be blind but it seems like jumping straight to an LS1 is the thing to do

Thanks for the comments as always
Old 07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

dakota R/Ts are sweet, get a club cab
Old 07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
lol probibly because hes living in their house? Thats quite a bit of leverage
Their house and the whole them owning everything of mine legally till I'm 18

Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1