General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
dakota R/Ts are sweet, get a club cab
I was looking at an immaculate CC R/T for 11,500 with 40k miles, all new $$nice$$ tires, etc. The main reason I wouldn't go for it is because 1: a little much over book and 2: the guy who had it was such a douche I wouldn't support him.

The guy was trying to tell me all the other nice R/Ts i was finding on internet werent a 5.9... they were a v6 . He said he has one of the very few R/T that is an actual 5.9.....

Maybe if he's comparing old R/Ts to new R/T.. but the guy was basically telling me I'm a dumbass because I was arguing with him that there are no V6 R/Ts that are the older style. That was a turn-off to me, because he was ignorant.. and it made me wonder what else he could have been lying about.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

1st dont listen to the ones saying NO LS1 FOR 1ST CAR its BS just dont be stupid

I'm 17 and it was easy for me I looked at them and said "I want a LS1. Before you say no its gonna be slower than the chevelle, airbags, antilock brakes, A/C, so its an all around better car than the hotrod (chevelle had 500 hp BBC and 4-spd)

Parents said "whatever"

It helps my dad had a 81 Z28 with a built 400 SBC when he was young its easier to talk to him about it.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Teching In

all i got to say is a Dodge Dakota R/T DOES NOT GET GOOD GAS MILEAGE i know acouple people who has and the best i've heard em gettin is 12mpg but i guess it depends on how you drive it too but i dont see it being that big of a difference maybe one to two miles oh yeah there really slow too spin way to much.........really i dont think you would want that..........just dont take no for an anwser
Old 07-08-2006, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Neither of my parents are fans of fast cars really. My mom is happy with a Jeep and my dad is happy with a Ford F250 diesel. I want a decent gas mileage vehicle, and the rest of my family is like **** gas mileage
Old 07-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Heres food for thought, dont buy anything that you cant afford. I was aloud to have any car i wanted when i first started driving as long as i paid for it and the insurance. If you dont pay for it with your own hard earned money, you will never respect as much as you would if you paid for it. My parents never gave me nothing or money and i am a better man for it now. If your parents are gonna buy you a car, DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT and take the car. People are way to spoiled these days i swear.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

I completely agree with you and will be paying for everything for it, including the car, mods, gas, and insurance.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. My parents were worried that I would go out racing and get speeding tickets, or worse kill myself. We made an agreement that if I got any sort of exhibition of speed tickets, racing tickets, or even just a speeding ticket that was 10mph or more over, that I would sell the car. More than three years later I've only gotten one ticket, and that was for no front plate, $10. And now they think it's neat that I'm dropping in a 427 soon
Old 07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Am I the only one that realizes the gas pedal isn't an on/off switch? There is a part-throttle section in there. Honestly, I don't really look at age. I look at posts, and you seem to be responsible enough to know what you're doing (unless you're really good with words). I wish I had some actual advice to give you. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

That is a very true statement. Every time I tell my parents that you can drive ''normal'' in any car, they automatically think high hp means spinning tires and speeding tickets. There is just a litttttle bit of variance between idle and WOT .
Old 07-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Banned

I want you to think about something, once again comming from a fellow 17 year old. Do you plan on moving out in a year? You gonna go to school? You say you will pay for everything, seriously add it all up and realize how much that is going to be. Then think about how much you spend living on your own, AT LEAST $800 a month, probobly more, on top of what, $500 or $600 on the car? So now that you have $1400 in bills every month, what are you gonna do besides work? What happens when the clutch goes out and all of sudden you need another $500? What happens when you snap that piece of **** 10 bolt and need $700 to fix it or $2500 to upgrade? Are you gonna have to get money from your parents or go into debt?

Don't live paycheck to paycheck, start figuring out what you are gonna do and dont bank on scholarships or anything like that until you actualy have the scholarship check in your hand. Think about how you are gonna pay for everything and dont kid yourself, it will only get you into trouble. The last thing you want to do is have to rely on your parents for anything, that only gives them more power. If your car is insured under your moms name and you **** her off, whats to stop her from uninsuring your car? Or if you need $200 a month from them for food and what not, whats gonna stop them from telling you to go starve? I dunno, maybe your parents arnt as harsh as mine, and maybe you dont plan on moving out like I do, but its time to seriously think about how much money you are gonna need and where it is going to come from.

The F-body can wait another year for you to get setled and on your own, dont go getting yourself into money troubles at 17.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

honestly man, 1'm 19 and this is my second f body....take my advice DO NOT DO NOT buy an ls1. save yourself some money and go with a v6 as a first car. chocotaco and i both had 3.4l's before our ls1's. You will be tempted to race each and every person on that road. Take my experience as a lesson, I got arrested two months ago for an unauthorized speed contest. i spent the night in jail, paid 1,500 bucks for a lawyer, i go to court every month, i'm on probation, my parents lost all respect and trust for me. I never thought i would never even see how prison looked, but this car made that possible. THey ended up towing my car, but i got off the hook i didn't get my license suspended. But if it happens again, its a FELONY and i will be in jail for a good time. So honestly take my experience as a good good lesson for yourself wait a little bit until you "Mature" a little more then buy it. I still have my car but i drive it maybe once or twice a week for a little bit, and i keep my racing STRICTLY to the TRACK. We all make mistakes but learning from the mistakes of others and yourself is what really counts. But again, you can just ignore what i just wrote and buy the ls1. I'll be hearing from you in a few months.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Note my post above where I said what I meant by ''being a good driver.''

I've driven LSD RWD on sand roads, mud, rain, snow, ice, etc..

whoa wait a minute.

driving a car while on LSD does not make you a good driver!!!!
if your parents read this and find out what you've done, you'll be in serious trouble.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agreed....thats has nothing to do with good driving....a defensive driver is a good driver not someone that is impulsive..
Old 07-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastest94v6
honestly man, 1'm 19 and this is my second f body....take my advice DO NOT DO NOT buy an ls1. save yourself some money and go with a v6 as a first car. chocotaco and i both had 3.4l's before our ls1's. You will be tempted to race each and every person on that road. Take my experience as a lesson, I got arrested two months ago for an unauthorized speed contest. i spent the night in jail, paid 1,500 bucks for a lawyer, i go to court every month, i'm on probation, my parents lost all respect and trust for me. I never thought i would never even see how prison looked, but this car made that possible. THey ended up towing my car, but i got off the hook i didn't get my license suspended. But if it happens again, its a FELONY and i will be in jail for a good time. So honestly take my experience as a good good lesson for yourself wait a little bit until you "Mature" a little more then buy it. I still have my car but i drive it maybe once or twice a week for a little bit, and i keep my racing STRICTLY to the TRACK. We all make mistakes but learning from the mistakes of others and yourself is what really counts. But again, you can just ignore what i just wrote and buy the ls1. I'll be hearing from you in a few months.
The type of car you own doesn't determine the type of driver you are. I have a 18 y/o nephew that drives an older stock turbo'd Eclispe (94 i think, GS-something, not the awd one). Not only does he race the thing every chance he gets, he got a speeding ticket for 94 in a 55. That's not the only speeding ticket I might add.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jassick
The type of car you own doesn't determine the type of driver you are. I have a 18 y/o nephew that drives an older stock turbo'd Eclispe (94 i think, GS-something, not the awd one). Not only does he race the thing every chance he gets, he got a speeding ticket for 94 in a 55. That's not the only speeding ticket I might add.

Thats because hes an idiot that thinks hes fast and furious, and I can promise you the car he drives influences that.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 300whp car is not a good choice for a first car. Almost EVERY first car gets wrecked in my experience (idiot pulled out in front of me) and almost all my friends have had someone, or they themselves wreck their first car, and we are talking NORMAL cars, like a civic (not rice) intrepid, crown vic (me, and yes, it was a motor swap and police car, kinda neat and had some nuts), etc. etc.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

I definitely agree with not living paycheck to paycheck, always make sure that if you lose your job you can support yourself for a while without losing everything. I went to iraq and saved up alot of money, came back and payed for my car cash, payed off credit cards, and motorcycle loan. I can tell you from experience, the best car is the one thats payed off.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:48 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you're probably not gonna want to hear this, but i STRONGLY recommend you do not buy an LS1 for your first car. i suggest you buy a cheap, beater car to teach you how to drive. you say you're a pretty good driver for your age. bullshit. no 17 year old is a good driver. i don't care if you're the best track driver in the world either, you can very well suck on the street. there are far too many variables that you have to learn. your first car will likely get pinged, dinged, you're gonna scrape the rims on soooo many curbs, if you parallel park a lot, i'm sure your back bumper will see action...

f-bodies are one of the trickiest cars to drive. they have one of the biggest blind spots in the world (i have to make crazy angles to see when i make some left turns), they are a very strange shape with the super long nose and super short rear end, they have very poor weight distribution, and they are nearly impossible to drive in the snow and not the best in the rain either.

i think it's a poor decision to buy such a nice car as your first car. buy something that you don't mind if it gets dinged or scraped. then, once you're used to driving (and we're talking 1-2 years here), get something nice.

i'm so glad i bought a V6 f-body for my first car. i think i woulda got into a lot of trouble with an LS1 for my first car. it's hard to handle all that power when you've never been driving.

i strongly recommend you buy a V6 f-body as your first car and drive it for a year. it'll teach you all the tricks of driving/parking an f-body, but the car won't have power to break itself or you since mashing it at a standstill gets traction in 2 seconds. you won't have to worry about going sideways when you shift.

i hope you take my advice on this. get a V6 and learn how to drive before you make such a big leap. people that buy V8's with tons of power in their first car have a big possibility of getting into a bad wreck. you think you know how to drive but man, you just don't. no one is safe on the road, no one.

just for the record, my 2001 5.7L V8 firebird forumla is only $50 a year more to insure than my old 1995 3.4L V6 firebird, so the engine makes nearly no difference in insurance - and i live in NJ, home of the nation's highest insurance premiums and i turn 20 in 2 weeks so i'm a young'n.
i agree to dissagree i was 16 when i bought my 98Z and it was the first driving car i had bought ill admit the first week was getting to know the car,but was skilled enought to drive a 6 spd if you want a f-body get one there ment for all ages! i said ill get a bike she said fine you can get the Z28
Old 07-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like all the usual ideas have been touched on. Stress that you will be responsible, show them facts like gas mileage, crash test ratings, etc. Ask them how often they see a vette or fbody out on the highway raising hell weaving in and out of traffic and being generally dangerous. I got my WS6 when I had just turned 17, and I told my parents that you don't see people out being stupid as often in fbodys and vettes because when you have something nice like these cars, you don't want to do anything to risk harming them. Usually the cars that you see being driven erratically are low-performance imports that are only worth a couple of grand, so it's not a big deal if Seargant Dumbass behind the wheel wrecks it while playing real life Matrix getaway scene on public roads.

While many say that an Fbody is not a great first car, I'd naturally have to disagree due to the fact that I fall into that category. While an Fbody is not the ideal car for most young drivers, usually the kids that look at Fbodys instead of imports know what the cars are and what they're capable of, and are more inclined to be able to handle the car better than the average kid. I got my 2001 WS6 last November, and live in Eastern PA. I bought my car on a friday that we got off of school from due to a foot of snow having fallen the previous night. (Hella good deal, not too many people looking at RWD V8's in the beginning of winter). I drove my WS6 60 miles home in the snow, with a six speed manual and NO traction control. It being my only car, I drove it every single day to school, regardless of road conditions. Being obsessed with the car, I went outside and washed it in 20 degree weather almost daily, and put it back in the garage for the night, then back off to school the next day in the snow. Here I am, past the challenge of winter, and the WS6 is still in the same shape as I got it in November. I haven't had a single close call, despite the fact that the car doesn't play well with snow. As long as you are responsible and know the limits of the car, it can be driven in most any kind of road conditions.

So basically take care of your Fbody, and it will take care of you

Here's a picture of mine, I'll never get rid of this car, I'm hooked for life.

Good luck with the parents, and make sure to take your time when you are looking at Fbodys, don't settle, wait for "the one" and hold onto it for life, I'm glad I did.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cascadesys
Stress that you will be responsible, show them facts like gas mileage, crash test ratings, etc.

The four deadliest cars ever in all of history are the Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, and the Mustang.

"The Firebirds and Camaros have done very well in crash tests," says Pund. "Combined with high death rates, what that statistic tells you is how people handle those cars."

Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1