General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I would not want an LS1 car for my 1st car. Im 20 and my car still scares me sometimes granted im not the greatest driver and I do my share of stupid things in my car. I can tell you now the cops WILL be all over you. I got pulled over once by 2 cops one in front of me and one behind me for doing " a 200ft burnout " When in reality they were cleaning the streets and there was dust on the streets. Gotta love the cops and their awesome judgement. For that I got a careless driving ticket and I lost my liscence.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

i know this guy and i think he can handle an ls1, it doesnt matter what you drive you can still get in trouble. look at me for example i had a 97 GMC sierra and i was just fking around with my friends one night and did a burnout and then some guy started following me so i was like fk that and i lost him and it turned out to be a off duty cop in his own vehicle. i got 10 tickets my dad had to bail me out of jail for over 1000 bucks and i had to do 10 days in jail for child endangerment of a 17, just because i was 18.... now i have a 2000 trans am with 410 hp to the wheels and ive never gotten a ticket or even pulled over in it.....its one of those things if the cars nice youll want to baby even more so it last...i pay out the *** for car payments and insurance on my car and my truck almost 700 a month. so if he got an ls1 or an lt1 i think he could afford it for sure and also be responsible with it, which is the most important thing.

we have a friend that rode in my 11 sec car and wanted one right away so he went out and got his mommy to buy him one... the first day he had it he put it in the ditch trying to do a burnout and all he has is a stock lt1. this guy is a complete moron and does not deserve to be driving a t/a he is the complete opposite of flashlcd. hes cocky and flashlcd isnt. he has to show off now matter what and flashlcd doesnt.

me and flashlcd understand that us having a nice car is prove enough that the cars fast and nice we dont have to show off, i have people try to race me all the time and i just blow them off cuz why should i waste my gas to prove that my cars fast when i know it is, if we want to race we can go to the drag strip its only 40 min away
Old 07-09-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

I remember a someone saying it doesn't matter what car you give your kid they are going to test out the limits. Would you rather them do it in a 150hp honda, or a 350rwhp sports car. Exactly.

Originally Posted by Speed Density
You suck at driving.

Tony.

Yup! If he's really been pulled over 6 times since march it's only a matter of time.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by schmidt69
i know this guy and i think he can handle an ls1, it doesnt matter what you drive you can still get in trouble. look at me for example i had a 97 GMC sierra and i was just fking around with my friends one night and did a burnout and then some guy started following me so i was like fk that and i lost him and it turned out to be a off duty cop in his own vehicle. i got 10 tickets my dad had to bail me out of jail for over 1000 bucks and i had to do 10 days in jail for child endangerment of a 17, just because i was 18.... now i have a 2000 trans am with 410 hp to the wheels and ive never gotten a ticket or even pulled over in it.....its one of those things if the cars nice youll want to baby even more so it last...i pay out the *** for car payments and insurance on my car and my truck almost 700 a month. so if he got an ls1 or an lt1 i think he could afford it for sure and also be responsible with it, which is the most important thing.

we have a friend that rode in my 11 sec car and wanted one right away so he went out and got his mommy to buy him one... the first day he had it he put it in the ditch trying to do a burnout and all he has is a stock lt1. this guy is a complete moron and does not deserve to be driving a t/a he is the complete opposite of flashlcd. hes cocky and flashlcd isnt. he has to show off now matter what and flashlcd doesnt.

me and flashlcd understand that us having a nice car is prove enough that the cars fast and nice we dont have to show off, i have people try to race me all the time and i just blow them off cuz why should i waste my gas to prove that my cars fast when i know it is, if we want to race we can go to the drag strip its only 40 min away
I've got a friend from Salina that i'm going to go see up there once i get done with all the regular maintenance crap on my LS1(needs new tires, brake pads, etc)...good to hear that theres a drag strip only 40 minutes away. I prob won't run my car, seeing as how im' gonna be driving it up there and having to drive it ALL the way back to Dothan, AL( which is almost a 20hr drive i think) but i'll def. have to go check it out...
Old 07-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Teching In

JESUS Read the friggin post people! IT'S NOT HIS FIRST CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that's all thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

As far as i am concerned, that is nothing more than generalizing saying that 17 year olds are all bad drivers. Inexperienced, yes. But only some more than others. I got a 98 Z28 when i got my license at 17 and i was a great driver then, and still am now at 23. Never had any close calls, nor accidents, nor speeding tickets. Everyone is different. Plus i live in the most densely populated state in america, in one of the most densely populated parts of that state, I did fine. That must say something. You can call it luck or just good driving. when my parents took me to the dealership, they refused to let me get a V6. They actually wanted me to get a V8. I help out with insurance and already paid my portion of the car off. I am sure if you convince your parents that you will be careful, they should give in. The thing is, keep your end of the bargain. Worse comes to worse, at least let them give you a chance, and if you screw up, they can take it away from you and sell it. They should at least give you a chance.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:33 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 93' Z when i was 16, im nowing coming up on 18 and i have 1 ticket for "Insufficent Muffler" thats it. Got it in January of this year.

Tony.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, couldn't keep my mouth shut anymore.

If you respect your parents at ALL, you will respect their decision for them NOT to want you to get a LS1. They aren't trying to be "mean" "nasty" "hateful" or anything of the sort. They are looking out for your WELL BEING!

I have children now, and understandy why my parents asked me not to do something, no matter HOW bad I wanted something. IF you get the car, it could cause problems down the road. Wait until after you graduate high school and move out of the house, then IT's YOUR MONEY and YOUR INSURANCE , YOUR RENT, YOUR COLLEGE TUITION, etc etc etc.

Just my $.02
Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got my formula when I was 17, it was my first car. I drive it like an ***. it was cool passing a string of 10 cars on the way to school one morning on a 120 blast only to find out some of the cars were my teachers, (by far the stupidist thing I have done in my car) other than that it is possible to get an ls1 at a young age. yes you WILL have an experimental phase where you do stupid stuff in it. but, tell your parents it will be a hobby to work on rather than going out and wasting your money on crack, thats what I said.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redbanditz28
As far as i am concerned, that is nothing more than generalizing saying that 17 year olds are all bad drivers. Inexperienced, yes. But only some more than others. I got a 98 Z28 when i got my license at 17 and i was a great driver then, and still am now at 23. Never had any close calls, nor accidents, nor speeding tickets. Everyone is different. Plus i live in the most densely populated state in america, in one of the most densely populated parts of that state, I did fine. That must say something. You can call it luck or just good driving. when my parents took me to the dealership, they refused to let me get a V6. They actually wanted me to get a V8. I help out with insurance and already paid my portion of the car off. I am sure if you convince your parents that you will be careful, they should give in. The thing is, keep your end of the bargain. Worse comes to worse, at least let them give you a chance, and if you screw up, they can take it away from you and sell it. They should at least give you a chance.
You can argue all you want, but the simple facts are the Camaro/Firebird make up 2 of the 4 deadliest cars ever. You are more likely to die in a Camaro/Firebird than almost any other car on the road.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 02 SS when i first turned 16 and i had my license for a month and i thought i was a great driver! but me bein an idiot was ******* around a lost control and hit a car! it sure shows me and now im the try to be the most cautious driver now and really dont **** around im kinda glad it happened and taught me a lesson! if you do get one dont **** around but at the race track not on the streets! they are a hand full even stock!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:38 AM
MASS seller approved

what it all comes down to is what you parents will let you buy and what you want not what everyone is telling you! before i turn 18 ill have a 408ci Z28 in the 10's with a 200 shot as long as you can control yourself and not make a race everytime you get in the car it will be a nice 1 car!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Veteran

tell them they get great gas mileage b/c of the power to weight ratio!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Junkie

If you can get it good on you. I have to agree with age though. I never was in trouble, great grades etc. Guess what FL sent me a little letter reminding me that I was one point away from loosing my liscence. Yeah here is my history:
1st car 86 v6 5 speed Camaro -5 tickets 17-19yrs. old
2nd car 83 Z28 -Remanufactured heads/cam 350 rebuilt 700R4 19-20
3rd car 94 z28 6speed. No tickets.
So I'm glad that I started low, cause if I had a v8 when young I probably would have wrecked, even though else wise in life I was very responsible.
So do whatever you want. If your wallet takes the hit due to tickets it may or maynot happen. Do what makes you happy. I was happy that I got to learn on a 86, it sucked to part with it, but I didn't mind that I got rid of the rust bucket.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:42 AM
TECH Junkie

eh just use the cruise control is you get the ls1, I think that saves my *** alot in the 94.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
and look at the signature of this ******... a true man of safety

what does that speedo read again?

but its ok because you are so much more mature than a 17 year old
It's a photochop genius! Your also very mature with your retorts.

Last edited by Mike02Z; 07-10-2006 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default first car

my first car was a 69 camaro i bought in '90. I bought it with on a loan from my aunt and worked it off $6 a freaking hour. by the time i was 17 i built it to run 12's and drove it every day in the summer, 12's with a small block and a carb is much more of a handful for a daily driver than a 12 sec ls1 car. i bought 5.0 beaters to drive in the snow, never wrecked the camaro and still have it. if its your money get what you want and learn to take care of it.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
ah the safety and security of the internet

like i said before... do what you can, try and get the car, these guys think they are tough **** cuz than can drive an ls1 and think you have to be some kind of superhero to drive a v8... just dont be a dumbass and you are all set, accidents happen

everyones gotta start out somewhere
Once again, you are a ******* moron, stop talking. Better yet go get yourself killed since thats what insurance is for.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
B/c My parents let me buy it, Im just saying dont make a big deal out of and ruin your relationship with your parents.
The same parent's who live in a trailor and Lower a 3500 Dually?

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
As far as warnings, I've been pulled over six times since I Got my lisence in march. 3 times in my T/A, all warnings.
You've also jumped your car into a ******* corn field! I've had my LS1 ( faster than your car btw spuds ) for a year now and I haven't been pulled over once.

Oh and BTW for the 100th time you can't drive for **** Spuds. You suck at life.

Your picture says it all Spuds.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I begged my parents. It annoyed them to the point where they just said "**** it" and bought the damned thing. I was 19 at the time.

Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1