General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Speeding Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reckless is 20 over here so i'm pretty sure she wasn't doing him any favors. I guess the cop was sitting in a private driveway area. hard to explain but definatly private property. I wonder if he could contact the home-owners and see if the cop was given permission to be there. if she wasnt would that help the case?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Launching!

I got a 106 in a 65, got a lawyer and they kept my points off, i still had to pay the ticket and it went on my record but the points didnt go on so my insurance stayed the same. Its a long story but I was going 75-80...Ive gone 106 as all of us have many times, but I wasnt any where close this day, cops can be unhonest *** holes, I learned the hard way.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Launching!

how much do you think a lawyer would cost? this is his second ticket (first was for sliding through a stop sign during a snow storm) and his insurance went up from that and i'm sure it will again. another reason he needs to get this off his record is because he is looking into buying a Z28 or ,god forbid, a mustang and we're both sure that 2 tickets and a car like that would make the insurance go through the roof.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Teching In

lawyer fee typically $50-125, plus fine of the reduced charge and court costs, another $50-150 depending on where you are.

still better off than going on driving record and insurance imho.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

He can do three things.

1) Nothing and get fvcked
2) Get a lawyer to take care of it and call it a day.
3) Go back to the shop have it fixed and have them write a letter.

When I was yonger I got clocked going 14 over. Took it to a lawyer and he got it dropped completely all I had to do was pay the lawyer fees. That sometimes depends on your area and the lawyer. Best to ask around when looking for a lawyer.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Launching!

I think my lawyer was $150 or $200 I cant remember which.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLVR_99-Z
Reckless is 20 over here so i'm pretty sure she wasn't doing him any favors. I guess the cop was sitting in a private driveway area. hard to explain but definatly private property. I wonder if he could contact the home-owners and see if the cop was given permission to be there. if she wasnt would that help the case?

A reckless driving ticket can be given at a police officers discretion, its not cut and dry, like " you go xx over the limit, its reckless" though they may have guidelines around it... i got pulled over going 100 in a 50 a long time back, (and that wasn't the only ticket i got that time) and I didn't get reckless driving, i just got the speeding ticket. Needless to say the judge wasn't happy when he seen it in the court room. I dunno what its like where this kid lives, but in NYS most everything gets dropped to parking tickets + a fine, and never goes thru to the insurance, i've had countless tickets dropped and i didnt have o say a word, u walk into the D/A office, they say, u did this, were gonna drop it to blah blah parking tickets, wait in court.

In this case i would definitly go get your speedo adjusted and have a something in writing from the shop sayin that it was broken, it'd be even better if u can get it fixed at the same shop and they can say from "this date to this date" the speedo was off by aprox. xx MPH... it definitly can't hurt ur cause...
Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

DO NOT TELL THE JUDGE YOUR SPEEDOMETER WAS BROKEN!!!!! Informing the judge of this might backfire because then you're guilty of operating an unsafe vehice. 14 over the limit is not that bad, you shouldn't get hit too hard, get a lawyer if you want to, I'm sure he could help you out with some sort of supervision.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by just1news6
14 over and you got a ticket? isnt there an innocent woman being battered every 2 minutes????? O WAIT THOSE WOMEN DONT PAY MONEY, i would rather pay a lawyer anyday than pay for those that protect and serve those kinds of rediculous tickets. and btw 14 overs i heard dont go on your insurance

Ridiculous? Break the law, get a ticket. What's so hard to comprehend?

So what if a woman is being battered......if they don't know about it and/or it is not near them what the F*** do you want them to do about it?

Should they stop every woman they see throughout the day to make sure they are not currently being battered?

You speed and get caught you get a ticket. Man up and take responsibility for your actions. That is my standing advice/response to anyone and everyone.

Speeding is almost always a strict liability offense, which means there really aren't any excuses unless you were under durress (sp?) or had to do it out of necessary. A faulty speedometer won't get you out of the ticket.

People who bitch about the police giving them a ticket for breaking the law disgust me.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Ridiculous? Break the law, get a ticket. What's so hard to comprehend?

So what if a woman is being battered......if they don't know about it and/or it is not near them what the F*** do you want them to do about it?

Should they stop every woman they see throughout the day to make sure they are not currently being battered?

You speed and get caught you get a ticket. Man up and take responsibility for your actions. That is my standing advice/response to anyone and everyone.

Speeding is almost always a strict liability offense, which means there really aren't any excuses unless you were under durress (sp?) or had to do it out of necessary. A faulty speedometer won't get you out of the ticket.
What are you, a freaking cop?? Cut the bullshit right now, because I guarentee nobody here wants to listen to you rant and rave about how speeding tickets are deserved.

First off, speed enforcement is nothing more than a revenue generating machine. A cop hiding in the woods on the side of the road with a radar gun isn't protecting or serving anyone, nor are they keeping anyone safe. They are simply sitting there waiting to **** somebody over for going a few MPH over the "posted speed limit", which we all know is artificially low 95% of the time anyway, so that people accidentally break it and they can write tickerts. All in the name of making money for the town.

What do we want cops to do instead of writing speding tickets?? How about driving around and looking for suspicious activity in neighborhoods, patrolling high crime areas, and pulling over drunk drivers?? How about that?? I think that does a hell of a lot more good than camping in the woods with a radar gun and clocking minivans as they bring their kids to soccer practice. Thats ******* retarded.

Why should he "take responsibility" for something thats completely unfair and unjust in the first place?? Can the cop actually prove that he was going so fast that he was in fact posing a safety hazard or endangering other people's lives?? Chances are he can't, because its not about that at all. They just want their payout from the ticket.

People who bitch about the police giving them a ticket for breaking the law disgust me.
And people like yourself, that support a corrupt and dishonest system ("we can drop the points, just give us more money ) completely disgust me. Speed enforcement is bullshit, I figured everyone knew that by now, but apparently you are just too ignorant to face reality.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
What are you, a freaking cop?? Cut the bullshit right now, because I guarentee nobody here wants to listen to you rant and rave about how speeding tickets are deserved.

Why is a speeding ticket not deserved? There is a posted speed limit and you exceed that limit....how much simpler can it get?

You cut the bullcrap about cops having "better things to do"....not only is it a bullcrap argument but it has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you deserve the ticket. It is a red hearing (sp?) at best.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 07-21-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Why should he "take responsibility" for something thats completely unfair and unjust in the first place??

And people like yourself, that support a corrupt and dishonest system ("we can drop the points, just give us more money ) completely disgust me. Speed enforcement is bullshit, I figured everyone knew that by now, but apparently you are just too ignorant to face reality.
I've had my car for over five years, been pulled over about 15 times and have received only one ticket...which was not even a moving violation. I have been pulled over going tripe digits in a 30 mph zone (empty country road), drag racing and destroying some slow Honda, doing a donut in a parking lot, exibiting my car's performance from 0-60 on a country road....and I have one non moving violation. Yeah, they are out to do nothing but write tickets.

Do you know how many people are killed in automobile accients every year? Do you? Do you know how many are attributed to speed? Go check the thread about the guy racing his SS who lost control, swerved into the other lane, hit a truck and died.

Edit:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/545416-ss-driver-killed-while-racing.html
Old 07-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Teching In

What do we want cops to do instead of writing speding tickets?? How about driving around and looking for suspicious activity in neighborhoods, patrolling high crime areas, and pulling over drunk drivers?? How about that?? I think that does a hell of a lot more good than camping in the woods with a radar gun and clocking minivans as they bring their kids to soccer practice. Thats ******* retarded.
I am just wondering, because I know that there are cops who are on this forum, but what do you spend most of your time out on patrol doing? I personally believe that the speed limits around my area seem to be at about the perfect level for most vehicles to be operated safely. Just because your car can safely go seventy mph in an area doesn't mean that an old junker van or another vehicle could.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Banned

I've had my car for over five years, been pulled over about 15 times and have received only one ticket...which was not even a moving violation. I have been pulled over going tripe digits in a 30 mph zone (empty country road), drag racing and destroying some slow Honda, doing a donut in a parking lot, exibiting my car's performance from 0-60 on a country road....and I have one non moving violation. Yeah, they are out to do nothing but write tickets.

Do you know how many people are killed in automobile accients every year? Do you? Do you know how many are attributed to speed? Go check the thread about the guy racing his SS who lost control, swerved into the other lane, hit a truck and died.
This concept is obviously way over your head, Mr ignorance. I'm sure all those people wouldn't get killed every year if only the cops had pulled them over and given them more tickets for doing 35 in a 30MPH zone

I don't know about your part of the country, but out where I live, cops write tickets all day. Theres at least one person getting pulled over in my town at any given point in the day. One girl I went to school with got pulled over for 27 in a 25MPH zone. Thats bullshit right there, I would have went nuts on that *******. Only a scumbag would write a ticket for 2MPH over the speed limit.

And then you claim its not hard to follow the limit?? You try maintaining exactly 25MPH on a perfectly straight road with the people in front of you going 35 and the traffic behond you right on your ***. The speed limits are artifically low, for the sole purpose of making more money. They even stooped so low as to lower the speed limits on 2 roads in my area. One is a completely straight road that goes through farmland, yet the speed limit was lowered from 45 to 40. And do the ******* cops sit on that road with radar?? You're damn right they do, and they nail people all day. They are worthless.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

This concept is obviously way over your head, Mr ignorance. I'm sure all those people wouldn't get killed every year if only the cops had pulled them over and given them more tickets for doing 35 in a 30MPH zone

I don't know about your part of the country, but out where I live, cops write tickets all day. Theres at least one person getting pulled over in my town at any given point in the day. One girl I went to school with got pulled over for 27 in a 25MPH zone. Thats bullshit right there, I would have went nuts on that *******. Only a scumbag would write a ticket for 2MPH over the speed limit.

And then you claim its not hard to follow the limit?? You try maintaining exactly 25MPH on a perfectly straight road with the people in front of you going 35 and the traffic behond you right on your ***. The speed limits are artifically low, for the sole purpose of making more money. They even stooped so low as to lower the speed limits on 2 roads in my area. One is a completely straight road that goes through farmland, yet the speed limit was lowered from 45 to 40. And do the ******* cops sit on that road with radar?? You're damn right they do, and they nail people all day. They are worthless.

Funny, I mentioned this in another thread not long ago.

You live in New Jersey. NJ is a very messed up state that is on my list of "refuse to ever step foot in". I am not surprised that you get tickets left and right. My advice to you, for multiple reasons, is to move. Here in Indiana that kind of bullcrap is virtually never an issue....at least it hasnt been for me or anyone I know.

If you know the cops are "out to get you" and write tickets left and right maybe you should, well, go the speed limit? Better yet, invest in a Valentine One or similer. It won't see everything (instant on and lidar can be a bitch) but it will certainly help you avoid speed traps.

Edit: I routinely go 10 mph over the speed limit with cops on my butt or right past them as they are hiding and gunning people. Never been pulled over doing so. Sometimes I go 15-18 mph over, depending on the road. I drive what I feel is reasonable for the road, traffic and weather conditions and am not hastled over it.

The one ticket I did receive (non moving violation) was completely and totally 100% undeserved. However, given the situation I can understand how it was mis interpreted and I paid the ticket with no fuss...I have deserved many tickets I did not get anyway.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Funny, I mentioned this in another thread not long ago.

You live in New Jersey. NJ is a very messed up state that is on my list of "refuse to ever step foot in". I am not surprised that you get tickets left and right. My advice to you, for multiple reasons, is to move. Here in Indiana that kind of bullcrap is virtually never an issue....at least it hasnt been for me or anyone I know.

If you know the cops are "out to get you" and write tickets left and right maybe you should, well, go the speed limit? Better yet, invest in a Valentine One or similer.
I also live in Indiana and today I drove right past a cop going 65ish is a 45 He didn't do anything. Also once I was following a car, both of us going 45 - 50 in a 35 and a cop was coming the other way, he just flashed his lights on and off really quick and kept going.

Edit: I forgot, I got pulled over for going 70+ in a 35 and the cop only thought I was going 50 and let me go.

Edit again: I actually had the same problem as blkZ28spt, my only ticket was completly undeserved. I got a seatbelt ticket when I was wearing it the whole time, and the cop knew it. What I did deserve, but didn't get was a ticket for going 15 over and not having the regristration in the car (was my sister's car, I didn't know she didn't have it)

Last edited by Rabada; 07-21-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default Ticket

I say as with everything If your gonna fight, FIGHT! use everything.............

Call in everything get a lawyer and go at it, call in the circumstances, weather, calibration of the gun, officer experience/training, the in question speedo, the fact that "radar Love" was playing on the radio and you just couldnt help it........

And if all that sounds silly just pay the damn ticket.

Its about as silly as those folks you see running from the cops on "Cops" they run for like 2 hours then get out and jump on their bellies scared, screw that if your going to run RUN !
If I ever RUN! you better believe you'll see it on America most Wanted Or Ripleys believe it or not, not on Cops.

Suck it up pay the ticket, get a lawyer if the points out weight the insurance and ticket cost, and live and learn welcome to the wonderful world of driving a cop magnet.

P.S.
I literally have a 133 MPH Warning Ticket Framed in my living room.
It Says 65+ miles an hour over the posted 65MPH Speed Limit.

I was flying, saw a trucker way up the road in the middle of the night was going to do an "Indy Corner" and take him in the bend. I was like at least 1/8 mile back when I saw the trucker hit his breaks and knew I was screwed
You know how I got off.
Officer no kidding walks up to the window and asks "Do you know why I pulled you over" I respond "Yep I was flyin" He chuckled and gave me a ticket for not having a seat belt on and told me to "slow down"

Its like hitting the lottery you either do or dont I know the tickets say "Chance of winning 1 in 15550040505 yadda yadda hell no they are all 50/50 you either do or dont

Last edited by StompaStang; 07-21-2006 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Adding more "Story"
Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by StompaStang
I say as with everything If your gonna fight, FIGHT! use everything.............

Call in everything get a lawyer and go at it, call in the circumstances, weather, calibration of the gun, officer experience/training, the in question speedo, the fact that "radar Love" was playing on the radio and you just couldnt help it........

And if all that sounds silly just pay the damn ticket.

Its about as silly as those folks you see running from the cops on "Cops" they run for like 2 hours then get out and jump on their bellies scared, screw that if your going to run RUN !
If I ever RUN! you better believe you'll see it on America most Wanted Or Ripleys believe it or not, not on Cops.

Suck it up pay the ticket, get a lawyer if the points out weight the insurance and ticket cost, and live and learn welcome to the wonderful world of driving a cop magnet.

P.S.
I literally have a 133 MPH Warning Ticket Framed in my living room.
It Says 65+ miles an hour over the posted 65MPH Speed Limit.

I was flying, saw a trucker way up the road in the middle of the night was going to do an "Indy Corner" and take him in the bend. I was like at least 1/8 mile back when I saw the trucker hit his breaks and knew I was screwed
You know how I got off.
Officer no kidding walks up to the window and asks "Do you know why I pulled you over" I respond "Yep I was flyin" He chuckled and gave me a ticket for not having a seat belt on and told me to "slow down"

Its like hitting the lottery you either do or dont I know the tickets say "Chance of winning 1 in 15550040505 yadda yadda hell no they are all 50/50 you either do or dont
FYI: Drive like that often and you are hitting the lottery to avoid ending up dead.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Personally, I can't condem people for doing things that I do myself.

Every day I go well over the speed limit on the expressway headed to work....and so does every other commuter on that highway each and every day.

Some people talk about speeding like it's the most inconsiderate thing you can do on the road, like you should be ashamed because you are endangering everyone and killing innocent people all day. To me, that's all just self-righteous liberal BS.

How many of us speed regularly (5-15 over depending on the road)? How many of us drive when we're tired? How many of us take our eyes off the road for a moment to adjust the radio, or look for an address, glance at a map, dial a cell phone, etc.? How many of us try to get just a few more miles out of a set of tires that we know should be replaced?

Any and all of these things can be and are dangerous. Basically, any time you are on the road you are putting yourself and others in danger, because I guaranty you that there is something you'll do on the road each and every trip that will somehow increase the danger of driving. Hell, even just going for a cruise that you don't need to go on is dangerous; you're on the road for pleasure and if something happens and you kill someone, just think, you didn't need to be driving at that moment, but because you did now someone is dead.

Point is, where do you draw the line? IMO, avoid overly reckless behavior (like doing 75mph down a residential side street, or drunk driving) but don't sweat the small stuff and don't condem other's for things no worse than what you do all the time.

And yes, many speeding tickets are a joke. I once received a ticket for doing 45mph in a 40 zone. That was purely revenue generation. Nothing more. On the other hand, I've been let go for speeding much more serious than that, so I just call it even.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

i agree that some schemes are just money makers... for instance the first week of school there is about 10 cops scattered throughout ( my h.s is waaaay in the country so many country roads to patrol). It's a regular sting operation the first week. People are gettin nabbed left and right. They prolly get 15 kids a morning. After that not a one the whole yr. one of my friends got a ticket for taking off his seatbelt before he got into his parking spot. That would have pissed me off horribly if that was me.