General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

criminal speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well.....here's my story:

Me and bud were heading to lunch with some friends after church on sunday. The two of us both serve in the MD Air Guard.....and we both like to wear camo boonie hats.
Well, on the way to lunch we had to drive through an area of town that apparently had a few complaints of people carrying guns around. We were stopped at a light, and I noticed a police car pull up behind. I let my pal know (even though he never speeds -dead serious), and then proceeded to joke around about how our airsoft guns would get us arrested if the cops saw them. We had played airsoft the day before and had put our equipment away that morning.
After we made a left, the cop followed us...then turned his lights on. We were pretty dumbfounded. We are crusing in a pathetic Ford Focus......
We pulled over, and the cop sat behind for a few minutes......and then backup arrived.
By then I had already thrown the knife I normally carried in the back of the car. One officer approached each side of the car.....and then asked my buddy to step out. One guy stayed standing about 10 feet behing me (I was still in the car), while the other guy searched my pal. They then had me step out of the car and search me for waepons. Now.....I'm wearing a goofey fruit loops t-shirt....so I thought that was a joke.
They then ask to search the car......my pal consents. One of them looks in the trunk......and feels a pile of stuff under a blanket in the trunk. he thought it was a gun collection. He asked us if we were sure there were no guns in the back.....we said we were pretty sure. He pulls back the blanket........and finds an array of 10-15 nerf guns.

After that the cops started joking with us......it was kinda entertaining.
The only reason we got pulled over was because we looked suspicious.
Oh, and friends of mine drove by while we were getting searched.....they were shocked.....
Old 02-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Launching!

No, i respect that too, and mainly my complaint is being treated courteously. I would not whine about the way I am treated and then spout rude *** comments to them. And I do not mind answering questions, I just get pissed like hell when I am asked where I am going, I give a plausable answer, the female trooper responds "that sounds fishy". I almost lost my cool after she asked me to step out to sign the ticket, obviously looking for PC, and says again, "that story sounds fishy". I was like "Look mam, I shrugged the comment off the first time, but since you will not let it go, allow me to elaborate. That comment is rude to begin with, and at no point during this stop do I have to justify to you where I am going, or what I am doing. It is a free country" I tried to look as serious as hell after saying that, laughing my *** off on the inside. I asked to sign the ticket, she complied, I asked if she had anything else, she said no, so I turned around and left. I have no problem taking a ticket when I am speeding, and I would never ask for a warning, thats like sir sandwiching them, its does you no good. Now if they call me sir I will respond in kind, and just as well if they addressed me rudely. and if they insist on me calling them officer then they can call me counselor.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Eagle Scout

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Me too. 1998.
Originally Posted by 01CamaroZ28
Me too. 2004.
I got mine in 2005. I had just turned 16 and was the youngest to get my Eagle in the Tampa Bay area! It is a great achievement and there is a lot more work and effort that goes into it then most people think. Not just about tying your shoes in 30 different knots! Great job guys!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I dont get, is why someone won't sign their citation. I can tell them a million times that if they dont they go to jail, and to sign it and get a court date if they want to contest it. Do they listen, oh no it can't be that simple. Then the whole way to jail they complain there going to miss all this work..etc. If they would have just signed the damn thing in the first place, they could have been on their way. Sorry for the rant.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Simple answer, once you drop them off at the jail, they are inmates. MOST inmates are ******* stupid! It' s kinda like when you have 16 inmates in a holding cell, and you are in the process of giving them phone calls, 1 at a time since you only 1 phone, but that doesn' t stop the other 15 ******** in there from asking if they can get make a phone call EVERYTIME you bring 1 back, and call another out. Or during chow...at our facility, we the inmates reside in dorms at all times, until they go to court, medical, recreation, etc. We have a count sheet, and roster accounting for everyone in there, some ******* always swears they the trustees didn' t give them enough trays. When I know they' re lying because I peronally counted. Their TV goes off, until someone pulls a tray out of their ***, and it never takes long!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by seawolf18
What I dont get, is why someone won't sign their citation. I can tell them a million times that if they dont they go to jail, and to sign it and get a court date if they want to contest it. Do they listen, oh no it can't be that simple. Then the whole way to jail they complain there going to miss all this work..etc. If they would have just signed the damn thing in the first place, they could have been on their way. Sorry for the rant.
Why do people think they dont have to sign them? What is their reasoning(sp)? What do they get charged with if they dont sign them?

Ive got anothe question since we have a lot of cops posting in this topic. I posted this on SSU without to many results.

Lets say I was in my car I had a bottle of booze in the car that the seal was broke and some has been drank but the cap is on. Would you give me an open container? Lets say Im completely sober, legally can you give me a open container and how likely would a cop be to give me one? How about if I had a case of beer with a few taken out of it?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

People don’t want to sign them because they think they are pleading guilty if they do. In reality they are not. They are signing to acknowledge, that they have received it, kind of like signing for a package when UPS drops by. Right under the box it clearly states that it is not an admission of guilt, but a promise to appear by either calling the clerk of courts and setting up a trial date or sending in the money. If you send in the money, you have to fill out the power of attorney box on the back, which states you plead no contest and allows the court to take care of the fine with the money you sent in.

I deal with big trucks (motor carrier), and with them you can’t have booze in the truck period. It doesn't matter if it’s opened or not. If you do get caught with alcohol in your truck it’s a fine and 24 hours out-of-service. Also any detectable amount of alcohol on a driver’s breath is out-of-service 24 hours. If the reading is .04 BAC or higher, it is a DUI; which is half of what a non-commercial vehicle, which is .08 BAC.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i stroke people all the time for open containers....primarily because you cant tell if someone had a drink that hour or yesterday.....

the statue states...you cant have an open container...period...
Old 03-01-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staringback05
i stroke people all the time for open containers....primarily because you cant tell if someone had a drink that hour or yesterday.....

the statue states...you cant have an open container...period...

So does a thermos count?

I mean if you tighten it really, really, really, tight?

Don't answer that please I don't care. I don't use a thermos and I can't really drink alcohol since it screws with my anti-seizure medication.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK85
Ive got anothe question since we have a lot of cops posting in this topic. I posted this on SSU without to many results.

Lets say I was in my car I had a bottle of booze in the car that the seal was broke and some has been drank but the cap is on. Would you give me an open container? Lets say Im completely sober, legally can you give me a open container and how likely would a cop be to give me one? How about if I had a case of beer with a few taken out of it?
Since I' m not familiar with all the traffic statutes, this will be more speculation than anything. It does stand to reason, that they could charge you for having an open container, but that only pertains to the passenger area of the car. If it' s in the hatch, more specifically the well in an F-body, you should be ok. If you' re in a car with one of those little doors, or fold down seats, that opens to the trunk....have someone throw that bitch in the trunk! I recently heard a commercial on the radio the other day, that said if ANYONE within the passenger area of the car has an open container, they' ll get a ticket for it. If the seal of your bottle is broken, it is an "open" container. How is the officer to know you didn' t drink anything? He' s not going to want to smell your breath. My advice, play it safe, and keep it in the trunk.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Out here in So Cal...as long as its NOT in the passenger area and its in the hatch your fine!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

well i think i just lucked up. i was cruising around monday night, probably a little after midnight, had a friend in the car. i see an ls1 camaro, silver. i saw the black roof so i didnt suspect a thing.

he busts a u-turn and he's cruising alongside me, maybe a car-length behind. i even stop at a light and he still doesnt pull all the way up next to my car. so i take off at the light, i am following a friend in another car so i'm not speeding, but i am holding it in 2nd gear at around 45, pretty loud, i say "man this guy looks like he wants to do something, unless its a damn cop" and laughed at that thought.

about 1/4 mile later i'm still riding in 2nd gear waiting for the car to pull up when i finally just say **** it, my passenger says "it says state trooper on the side of his car". i look in my mirror to get a look at his plates, definitely not normal plates. i pull to the far right lane, he follows. i turn onto another street, he follows...

you guys dont get a happy ending on this one, no juice. i pulled into a parking lot and i guess he had better things to do because he just slowly drove right past and kept going...talk about sweating bullets.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

in florida it would have to be in a normal trunk area, such as seperated from the car....not like an fbody....but like a lincoln or something...

also if theres a passenger in the car, i can just charge him with it...its a lesser charge then if its in possesion of the driver...but most of the time the guys wont own up to it...soooo i charge both
Old 03-01-2007, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth Z
How is the officer to know you didn' t drink anything? He' s not going to want to smell your breath. My advice, play it safe, and keep it in the trunk.
They could always give me a breathalizer. And I would keep it in my trunk but I dont have one (Blazer). If I ever need to do that Ill just carry it in the way back although if a cop wanted to be a dick Im sure I could still get a ticket. If I had 4 people in here they could just reach back and grab it, its not like a Tahoe or Suborboun. Its not something Im worried about just wondering.

Originally Posted by spy2520
well i think i just lucked up. i was cruising around monday night, probably a little after midnight, had a friend in the car. i see an ls1 camaro, silver. i saw the black roof so i didnt suspect a thing.

he busts a u-turn and he's cruising alongside me, maybe a car-length behind. i even stop at a light and he still doesnt pull all the way up next to my car. so i take off at the light, i am following a friend in another car so i'm not speeding, but i am holding it in 2nd gear at around 45, pretty loud, i say "man this guy looks like he wants to do something, unless its a damn cop" and laughed at that thought.

about 1/4 mile later i'm still riding in 2nd gear waiting for the car to pull up when i finally just say **** it, my passenger says "it says state trooper on the side of his car". i look in my mirror to get a look at his plates, definitely not normal plates. i pull to the far right lane, he follows. i turn onto another street, he follows...

you guys dont get a happy ending on this one, no juice. i pulled into a parking lot and i guess he had better things to do because he just slowly drove right past and kept going...talk about sweating bullets.
How can this be legal for a cop to just follow someone around forever? You know hes just waiting for you to do something wrong or find something wrong with your car.

Last edited by BLK85; 03-01-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

They could always give me a breathalizer. And I would keep it in my trunk but I dont have one (Blazer). If I ever need to do that Ill just carry it in the way back although if a cop wanted to be a dick Im sure I could still get a ticket. If I had 4 people in here they could just reach back and grab it, its not like a Tahoe or Suborboun. Its not something Im worried about just wondering.
I don' t think all officers have breathalizers in their units. I work in a correctional facility, and we have a breathalizer that city, state, and parish officers use to test DWI arrestees before turning them over to the booking officers. If you have have a bottle with you, while people are in the back, throw something like a blanket or jacket over it. If the officer doesn' t see it, and doesn' t have any reason to search your vehicle, he can' t ticket you for it.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth Z
I don' t think all officers have breathalizers in their units. I work in a correctional facility, and we have a breathalizer that city, state, and parish officers use to test DWI arrestees before turning them over to the booking officers. If you have have a bottle with you, while people are in the back, throw something like a blanket or jacket over it. If the officer doesn' t see it, and doesn' t have any reason to search your vehicle, he can' t ticket you for it.
Huh that doesnt sound right. So a cop will just take you to jail if he suspects you of being drunk in your state? Ill definatly be more careful next time people are in my truck with booze.

Well hopefully Seawolf chimes in since I know hes a cop in the same state as me.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

how do you think we can take people to jail....even when they refuse ALLLL test?....breath,urine,blood,and field test...

and i can honestly follow someone around all day....they have no reasonable expectation of privacy when driving in public....
Old 03-02-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can this be legal for a cop to just follow someone around forever? You know hes just waiting for you to do something wrong or find something wrong with your car.

Talk about baiting someone that's ridiculous.

Maybe if you didn't have it in 2nd for so long though he would have ignored you sooner, otherwise it's definately ridiculous.

I had a chaser cop car (LT1 Camaro) follow me in my C5 once, I think he was seeing if I wanted to race I couldn't be sure though. I didn't even know it until the guy pulled up beside me stared at me and then bolted at like 15 over the limit. I am such a boring driver, all I was doing was talking to my wife.

My wife noticed him but I was just cruising at exactly the speed limit the whole time. He was apparently speeding then braking whole time, my wife thought he was drunk.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

ALWAYS hire a lawyer. I've had 10-12 or so normal speeding tickets dismissed by my lawyer in court. Costs me $250 a case.

75mph in a 35mph is a serious safety hazard. DONT DO THAT.

Go way out in the country to unpopulated areas to drive fast for extended periods (more than a few seconds to let it rip once in a while).

And make sure you have good visibility.

Safe speeds are set according to your sight distance and the probability of hazards appearing (from driveways, cross streets, etc)
Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Huh that doesnt sound right. So a cop will just take you to jail if he suspects you of being drunk in your state? Ill definatly be more careful next time people are in my truck with booze.

Well hopefully Seawolf chimes in since I know hes a cop in the same state as me.
He won' t bring you to jail just for seeing an open container. If he suspects you may be drunk, he' ll do a field sobriety test first. Fail that, and it' s breathalizer time. Also, as staringback said, if you refuse to submit to all the tests, which you do have a right to do, you will be taken to jail, and your license will be automatically suspended.