General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Advice on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on what to do

Recently i purchased a 99 z28 m6 with 75k miles on it. The car was fairly clean and ran well. The first week i got it i had to replace the rear end because the guy didnt put the 3.73 gears in it and it beat the carrier all up so i replaced everything. Now i have that classic 3/4 bent shift fork so i need a tranny rebuild. My ses light is also on for crankshaft position sensor and i need my rotors turned. I feel like i didnt make the best decision and the car has been raced pretty bad. Here are my options....
1) Keep the car and fix the tranny and sensor. It will cost alot but i will basically have a new tranny and rear end.
2) It could be a series of continuous problems. Sale the car but because of the tranny condition i will lose about 3 grand which is money i could always use to fix it.

Basically just want your opinions on whether to keep or sale given the circumstances. I am leaning towards keeping it at the moment.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

You own it now...

Meaning you can take a loss and sell it with the problemns or fix the problems and make it stronger. Myself, I would go the latter route.

Fix that bad boy up.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it would depend a lot on what you would be able to buy next and how much money you have. If you have enough money to buy a newer F-body with lower miles after you take the hit for the resale, I would do it.

My 98 was similar to yours in that it was one problem after another which eventually. I ended up spending 6k in repairs on that car so keep that in mind.

Also, if the tranny and the rear are beat up, along with the crank sensor, there is a good chance that the clutch+slave/master are not in good shape either. The engine might also not be in the best shape either. I am of course guessing for all of this, it could be a couple of isolated problems, but things to keep in mind.

No matter, if you decide to fix it, you will have a great running car with a new tranny, rear and while your down fixing the crank sensor, you might as well do some "other" fun things as well
Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gloveperson

Also, if the tranny and the rear are beat up, along with the crank sensor, there is a good chance that the clutch+slave/master are not in good shape either. The engine might also not be in the best shape either. I am of course guessing for all of this, it could be a couple of isolated problems, but things to keep in mind.
I think you could have worded it better lol
Al Sharpton will kill you if he sees this

Last edited by streetassasin; 07-27-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by streetassasin
I think you could have worded it better lol
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

I had to replace the clutch on my car right when I bought it,twice.....

it could be just a little bad luck on your end getting the car at the wrong time,but you still might not want to give up yet,unless there are other signs the car was beat to hell and back and mistreated.
you never know when buying a used car.some win,some loose...either way if you were gunna be modding that car i gurantee youda been pulling those two out sooner or later.my 98 has been through 4 10bolts and 4 clutches in 2 years.Then I decided it was moser time.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I sort of got hosed when I bought my car too. My car even had holes drilled in the dash for a shift light/guage pod. I think she had a hard life. I had little odds and ends to do like you, had to replace brakes, a rear end, remount the front grill and this thing had non existant tire tread. but I guess this is what I get for buying a car online while I was in Iraq.
I dont know what your budget is, but rebuiding the tranns isnt all that much. I hear good things about T56rebuilds.com and I`ll use them when the time comes.