General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

driving f-body in snow...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, with my first T/A (a '94 LT1 A4), I just happened to be living in Colorado...so I dealt with snow all the time. Get snow tires. Bridgestone makes a great set. However, make sure your brakes are up to speed, considering it's a little easy to get out of control, or for that matter, hard to stop sometimes. If you're on a hill with an steep incline, prepare to slide BACKWARDS unless you're willing to fight the car to go forward. If you're on a hill with a steep decline, there better be a road going up to help slow you down. Even slush can be bad.

If you've got no weight in the back, I'd suggest you somehow put some there.

Make sure you don't drive anywhere with ditches, either, even cars lighter than mine with (supposedly) better traction can get into a ditch, or worse, something hard (like a fence, light pole, telephone wire pole, or a tree).

Better yet, get yourself a Sy/Ty for the winter and and F-body for the summer.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
I see someone post this question every year. The point isn't that you "can't" drive an f-body in the snow. The point is why would you when you can buy a 2nd car for the price of a good set of snow tires and rims.
The point is some people "have to" since the places they live either don't allow them more than one parking spot and they CANNOT park on the street overnight ($50.00 ticket, tow away after 2nd offense), or a 2nd spot (if available) will cost them $50.00-$100.00/month extra. Now add that into the cost of a beater, plus the insurance in an expensive area, and a set of steel 16x7s with a really great 215/60 16 snow tire seems cheap!!!
Yeah, I know you'll say, "If I had to live there I would move for the sake of my ride". Well, some of us do not have that choice right now, but still want our LS1 f bodies.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

4 hakkapallitta's and 3 40lb salt bags in the back and your good to go in minneapolis.
That's my recipe on my 95 ta winterbeater lt1 m6.I pass 4x4 's on the road with superior traction and braking ability.The taller and skinnier tires also add some grround
clearance.Now if the ****** would just let me stud them we'd really have something.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z-ya
4 hakkapallitta's and 3 40lb salt bags in the back and your good to go in minneapolis.
That's my recipe on my 95 ta winterbeater lt1 m6.I pass 4x4 's on the road with superior traction and braking ability.The taller and skinnier tires also add some grround
clearance.Now if the ****** would just let me stud them we'd really have something.
AGREED!! ANY Nokian tires are better than the Bridgestones everyone seems to think are the cat's azz, especially the RSIs in the narrow 215/60 16 size.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

i had my 96Z last winter.. with kuhmo ecsta's on it.. and it was pretty decent.. i was very impressed... i only got stuck like 3 times.. 1st time.. in a drive way w/like 2 inches of snow with ice bellow it.. then in a snow bank *i was bein an ******* and doin donuts.. and lost control a bit* and then in another drive way.. but all in all its not bad.. just gotta take ur time when the roads are bad. the way i look at it is.. there are only a couple days out of the winter when the roads are COVERED with snow.. you'll be fine.. but try to get a better deal.. i got my 99 SS for 11,700 w/45k
Old 08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Don't drive like an idiot and have proper tires and you will be fine. I have driven mine in the snow and slush although not on purpose. I was on my way to a car show(to look not to show) and got caught in a storm. it was part rain part snow for a while then just snow. My buddy was following in his mazda3 and almost flew off the road a few times. The T/a did great and stuck to road better than I thought it would. There were 8-10 cars in the ditch FWD and RWD.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Teching In

i don't think driving on snow is all that bad. its the ice underneath that gets you.
and here in michigan, yes we get some really icy roads and an f-body does not belong out there. i won't do it. and salt sux.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Be wise.

I drove in the snow over 320 miles home from college. Only to crash into the brick post of my driveway.

It's all fixed now... but it wasn't fun or pretty.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just get Real snow tires.. It makes a massive difference. I've been driving f-bodies in the snow in chicago since 1997 all with good snow tires. I have a set of stock wheels with 225's on them and It better than a FWD car in the snow. Hell my 1995 didn't even have ABS because of constant wheel sensor problems and didn't have traction control. My 01 Z28 the first thing I do is shut off the horrid traction control. Much too unpredctible with that crap on. Rearend comes out a bit on throttle just countersteer and stay in it. Its impossible to keep control when the TCS is slaming on the brakes. also the TCS makes it impossible to get up even a slight hill. I enjoy driving in the snow though. Mabey I'm sick but its fun comming around corners and easing into the throttle and having to countersteer around turns.

another thing everyone should do.. go and read books on driving.. understand what a car does at the limits of traction and what you can do keep the car under control and put it all into practice. in the slick conditions you will be driving at the limit of traction if you know what to do and can react properly it will make you a better safer driver.

Thats My 2c.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not saying anyone is wrong but this is my experience as living in South Kansas and only seeing moderate snowfall. Keep in mind I am speaking of roads with very few cars and rural setting so if you go into the other lane no biggie.

FWD is easier for most people to drive in snow as it is set up for understeer. However, if you start to loose it you are totally screwed, can't change direction or brake ect. FWD cars can't go up hills well in slippery conditions either. I lost traction in FWD and was not able to point the car at all. With RWD maybe I could spin the rears slightly and turn the car.

A RWD car would be better if you had the experience to control the oversteer.... With RWD if the front wheels can't get traction you can still engine brake. If the rear wheels can't get traction you have the brakes.

If you wanted to do a tight turn it would be easier in RWD.

I like the idea of adding as much weight as possible and using higher gears. I find it hard to say that manual would be better than auto as auto has a smoother take off. I can drive manual but man I would even if the lightest touch it would spin the tires.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 08-10-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

The problem with FWD is that most people treat them like RWD when losing control. When losing it while driving a FWD you need to give it a little gas and it will help pull the front end of the car back in the right direction.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the advice. I have been driving for a long time but snow is a different story. Not everything is so obvious if you have never done it.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

I've been through many northeast nebraska winters. My first car was an 89 cougar RWD V6. Driving in the winter sucked but like any car just be smart and you'll be fine. My current car(daily driver/winter car) is a 2001 cougar FWD V6 and I can tell ya it is much easier to get around in the snow,ice and slush with FWD.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by spitfire2332
So I live in MI, I just sold my 4x4 truck and I feel as though I could have made it through the winter fine w/o it. There were a few times where I NEEDED it but no often.

I was looking at a pontiac G6 GTP with the 6-speed but there are NONE within a 500 mile radius of me like I want. So I got on autotrader and I found this 99 TA 6-speed 31k miles for 17,000$. This will be my ONLY car, so I'm wanting to know how well these things handle in snow if at all. I'd hate to get this car and have a blast for a few months and then get pissed at my decision because I cant go out when it snows.
I live in Colorado and my TA is my daily driver.....It snows here but not enough to justify getting rid of my TA. The days when it snows so bad where I can't drive it's usually a bad blizzard and nobody can drive, so no big deal.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Just out of interest would you say it is more difficult to get around in hilly areas in a FWD car? I have found that to be true in my experience. It was to the point where the front wheels would just spin awhile going up the hill. So I turned the car around, went into reverse, and what do you know??? The car pulled the hill like it was born to perform!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Staging Lane

When it comes to hills it's all about throttle control and gearing. It is also good when you get a nice run at it then you just have to give enough throttle to keep the momentum without breaking the little bit of traction you have. I'm lucky that where I live now there are no hills but when i was growing up and learning to drive I lived on a nasty hill. I would say if you have a lot of hills to deal with get a cheap 4X4 as a winter vehicle.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:33 AM
12 Second Club

would not recomend it stock or modded ..but you can take your chances if you want just as long as your smart about it i guess you would be ok