General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did any one see the the cover/article in Sport Compact Car thsi month?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sport compact guys all think they are the ****.

I remember one time I played around with a teen in a Neon SRT. I came out of the light at 1000 RPM and floored it and still kept up with him and he swears he was 2x faster that I would ever be. I really gave him a huge advantage by taking off very slow and he still couldn't pull infront of me.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i test drove an srt today... a girl i know wants one, and she aint the best at stick yet.. needless to say, i wasnt impressed.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Veteran

I am not saying it is a horrible car but would you rather have a 'fast' NEON or a stock Camaro?

It is a status thing. People look at what you drive and the Neon's rep is an econo box.

The Camaro has RWD, wishbone suspension, and a big V8. Even if you can make a Neon, or whatever... marginally faster than a built Camaro why do it? You only can go fast for a couple of seconds at a time but you have to live with an inferior car for as long as you own it WHY??? Besides the fact that a built 4 cylinder is less reliable and driveable than a similar HP V8.

You can make a Civic faster than a Ferrari but who gives. The car is all around at a loss to the exotic in many other areas.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkCloud
and im with em on the 6 speed.. autos arent fun to drive.. i dont care how fast they are. it takes more skill to drive a stick on the track over an auto. in an auto u step and go.. not saying there isnt ne skill to an auto.. just a lot less is required.

Yes I agree especially since they were testing the car at a roadcourse. Having a stick gives alot more control for the turns.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I am not saying it is a horrible car but would you rather have a 'fast' NEON or a stock Camaro?

It is a status thing. People look at what you drive and the Neon's rep is an econo box.

The Camaro has RWD, wishbone suspension, and a big V8. Even if you can make a Neon, or whatever... marginally faster than a built Camaro why do it? You only can go fast for a couple of seconds at a time but you have to live with an inferior car for as long as you own it WHY??? Besides the fact that a built 4 cylinder is less reliable and driveable than a similar HP V8.

You can make a Civic faster than a Ferrari but who gives. The car is all around at a loss to the exotic in many other areas.
a stock ls1 to a stock 4g63 or srt4 motor are all reliable and really strong stock..and put out the same amount of power stock block till you have to forge them.

the interior of our cars sucks(probably comparable to a econo box that cost 13k) and you saying that its a inferior car means nothing...its inferior to YOU..that does not make it a fact that its inferior to everyone. and who cares if its inferior? are you trying to make up for soemthing? a car is a car. I guess its a status thing..and YOU need people to think your of higher status.... keep on dreaming of that bigger *****.

The ls1 rx7 wasn't completely done(which makes me wonder why the decided to test them..i guess it was a deadline) the car needs mroe tuning...it only make 350ish whp(don't remember exact)..with a cam and maybe heads..don't remember, but you could tell by the power band that was going straight up and didn't start to flatten out yet that it had a lot more left. One car was a stripped out drift car(the 13bt-rew), the ls1 wasn't fully stripped out and only weighed 50lbs or so more. the rotary rx7 had sticker tires I believe too. both cars ran low 12s, but the trap speeds where high...116-118 if i remember correctly which suggests that they have mroe in them. SCC also tests in really hot shitty for quater mile time places.

also..the only reason why they refered to it as a bastard is because the rotary engine is completely unique..nothing like a piston engine..and when ever you rip out that POS for a different engine..with..gasp..PISTONS...the rotary community looks down on you for removing the "soul" of the fb, fc, or fd.

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Sport compact guys all think they are the ****.
so because one douche thinks he is better than you...ALL of the people that drive sport compact cars think the same way?

Originally Posted by su_maverick
SCC has always been biased and dont think for a minute that they like RX-7s.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...a_rx_7_part_9/

funny how a mag that doesn't liek a certain car would do a 10 part build up on one. Also, kind of funny how a biased sport compact car mag would PUT A 01 SS on the cover and test the car too.

I don't understand why everyone has to be..oh..my ls1 was touched by god, but as soon as a car threatens the performance...it turns into...well...he is driving a neon..or a focus..so his car is more inferior than mine....that si CALLED a ricer excuse. How come people can't just liek all types of cars. I've owned a sentra spec v, focus zx3, 91 rx7...and now i'm looking for a svt focus.

Last edited by BrandonDrecksage; 08-06-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

i feel envyous of you guys my best time is only 14.15 on a M6 LS1.... well my tranny is messed up but still i feel so sloooooowwww
Old 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

What's your trap speed and 60'?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

normaly i get very high 9X mph's and when i got 14.15sec, trap speed was 102.
my 60' are about 2.3-2.4
and the funny thing is that i have LID and an exhaust

anything strange with these numbers?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

just read it, pretty good article for an import magazine
Old 08-21-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

That was my 2001 Camaro SS. The 1/4 mile test was conducted on pit row of California Speedway, not a true drag race track. They had a professional driver driving all the cars, to even the playing field. I took video and pictures of the event, and you could clearly see that it was very difficult to launch the car. By the way, my car has 3.73 ... they made a typo. It also dynoed 332hp and 348tq. Elevation for this place was 1100' (DA was about 2500'). If you look at the lap times, mine kept up very well with the RX7 ... with a factory suspension. The driver they used for all the test was a road race driver, not very familiar with launching from a dead stop. Heck, my wife ran a 13.0 at 108 during this event, but they couldn't use those times due to it being a different driver. Any more questions, ask!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by old and good
i feel envyous of you guys my best time is only 14.15 on a M6 LS1.... well my tranny is messed up but still i feel so sloooooowwww
how far above sea level are you?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

The camaro might of had 273 gears instead of 323's which is why it ran slower, a A4 will put down less power but if driver right with those mods shoulda been into the 12's very easly
Old 08-21-2006, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
The camaro might of had 273 gears instead of 323's which is why it ran slower, a A4 will put down less power but if driver right with those mods shoulda been into the 12's very easly
He already stated that he has 3.73s in post # 30.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by old and good
normaly i get very high 9X mph's and when i got 14.15sec, trap speed was 102.
my 60' are about 2.3-2.4
and the funny thing is that i have LID and an exhaust

anything strange with these numbers?
Get that 60' to 2.1 and you'll have your mid 13 second slip. Mph is a bit low but that can be the cause of your elevation if you have any. The car should trap at 108 with it having an exhaust, lid and it being a manual at sealevel.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 12secSS
That was my 2001 Camaro SS. The 1/4 mile test was conducted on pit row of California Speedway, not a true drag race track. They had a professional driver driving all the cars, to even the playing field. I took video and pictures of the event, and you could clearly see that it was very difficult to launch the car. By the way, my car has 3.73 ... they made a typo. It also dynoed 332hp and 348tq. Elevation for this place was 1100' (DA was about 2500'). If you look at the lap times, mine kept up very well with the RX7 ... with a factory suspension. The driver they used for all the test was a road race driver, not very familiar with launching from a dead stop. Heck, my wife ran a 13.0 at 108 during this event, but they couldn't use those times due to it being a different driver. Any more questions, ask!

I knew that I recognized the owner's name from somewhere before.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Get that 60' to 2.1 and you'll have your mid 13 second slip. Mph is a bit low but that can be the cause of your elevation if you have any. The car should trap at 108 with it having an exhaust, lid and it being a manual at sealevel.
im at or realy close to sea level. to my defence its was my first time at the track but it seems that any way i launch the car i always seem to make 2.3-2.5 60' i dont know how much of a factor it is but my sparkplugs are so far gone that the car is begining to throw codes becouse of fisfires. also my tranny is giving me greaf as a resault i cant change gears fast.

well i wasnt going to hijack the trhead i wuld love to have a LS1 RX7! must be a blast to drive.... yall recon it very different than a vette?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
a stock ls1 to a stock 4g63 or srt4 motor are all reliable and really strong stock..and put out the same amount of power stock block till you have to forge them.

the interior of our cars sucks(probably comparable to a econo box that cost 13k) and you saying that its a inferior car means nothing...its inferior to YOU..that does not make it a fact that its inferior to everyone. and who cares if its inferior? are you trying to make up for soemthing? a car is a car. I guess its a status thing..and YOU need people to think your of higher status.... keep on dreaming of that bigger *****.

The ls1 rx7 wasn't completely done(which makes me wonder why the decided to test them..i guess it was a deadline) the car needs mroe tuning...it only make 350ish whp(don't remember exact)..with a cam and maybe heads..don't remember, but you could tell by the power band that was going straight up and didn't start to flatten out yet that it had a lot more left. One car was a stripped out drift car(the 13bt-rew), the ls1 wasn't fully stripped out and only weighed 50lbs or so more. the rotary rx7 had sticker tires I believe too. both cars ran low 12s, but the trap speeds where high...116-118 if i remember correctly which suggests that they have mroe in them. SCC also tests in really hot shitty for quater mile time places.

also..the only reason why they refered to it as a bastard is because the rotary engine is completely unique..nothing like a piston engine..and when ever you rip out that POS for a different engine..with..gasp..PISTONS...the rotary community looks down on you for removing the "soul" of the fb, fc, or fd.

so because one douche thinks he is better than you...ALL of the people that drive sport compact cars think the same way?

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...a_rx_7_part_9/

funny how a mag that doesn't liek a certain car would do a 10 part build up on one. Also, kind of funny how a biased sport compact car mag would PUT A 01 SS on the cover and test the car too.

I don't understand why everyone has to be..oh..my ls1 was touched by god, but as soon as a car threatens the performance...it turns into...well...he is driving a neon..or a focus..so his car is more inferior than mine....that si CALLED a ricer excuse. How come people can't just liek all types of cars. I've owned a sentra spec v, focus zx3, 91 rx7...and now i'm looking for a svt focus.
I cant believe ur on LS1tech asking questions about why we are so blindly loyal to LS1s!! Come on man, ofcourse people are gonna automatically stick up for the camaro, ITS FRIGGIN LS1TECH!! Im not sayin i agree, and yes it does sound like a ricer excuse, but what the hell do u expect? This is like me going on some tuner site and asking questions about why everyone is so one sided about thier rice,(Dont get me wrong, i know its not everybody)!! No matter what the car is, u are always gonna have ur thick-headed blind loyalist, they are all the same, just drive different cars, and they are always gonna give the rest of us bad names!!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

well GYREEN SAID IT ...what do you expect..i love chevy and i fuggin got a chevy tattoo. scars from my chevy's in the past and present..and with mild mods ive hung with some mean cars.just waiting for some spray and waiting for a PORSCHE CARRERRA GT TO RUN.DO YOU THINK 580 RWHP ON SPRAY COULD BEAT ONE..
Old 08-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Teching In

that article was dumb. a friend of mine made a big deal of how the rotary car beat it. he doesnt seem to understand that the ls1 fd was a piece of **** compared to the rotary car. a better comparison wouldve been two identically prepped fd's each with the same amount spend on the motor. you can do the whole ls1 swap for the cost of putting a fresh stock motor in the third gen rx7, and with that you get reliability and a much higher performance ceiling without sacrificing reliability. the fact that they compared them on a road course is stupid, because you can do the swap without gaining weight, and it doesnt really shift the weight forwards either, so isnt it still the same car as far as handling characteristics are concerned (other than feeding in power).

and of course the reason the camaro does better at drag racing is because thats what its good at...its a solid axle car with alot of weight over the rear, not to mention better tire fitment etc

this biased, ignorant writer on a deadline made a bs article that is sure to just boost the riceboy ego, most of which will never even set foot in a third gen rx7

and trust me im not biased, i've owned plenty of rx7 and japanese cars and do like the rotary engine but **** man, rip it out and put a v8 in there
Old 08-24-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pearlwhitemike
that article was dumb. a friend of mine made a big deal of how the rotary car beat it. he doesnt seem to understand that the ls1 fd was a piece of **** compared to the rotary car. a better comparison wouldve been two identically prepped fd's each with the same amount spend on the motor. you can do the whole ls1 swap for the cost of putting a fresh stock motor in the third gen rx7, and with that you get reliability and a much higher performance ceiling without sacrificing reliability. the fact that they compared them on a road course is stupid, because you can do the swap without gaining weight, and it doesnt really shift the weight forwards either, so isnt it still the same car as far as handling characteristics are concerned (other than feeding in power).

and of course the reason the camaro does better at drag racing is because thats what its good at...its a solid axle car with alot of weight over the rear, not to mention better tire fitment etc

this biased, ignorant writer on a deadline made a bs article that is sure to just boost the riceboy ego, most of which will never even set foot in a third gen rx7

and trust me im not biased, i've owned plenty of rx7 and japanese cars and do like the rotary engine but **** man, rip it out and put a v8 in there
the reason why they did it on a road course is because the rotary faithfull always look down on swapping to a piston engine. they claim that the car will always handle worse and it would be slower.

I guess I'm just the minority(not ignorant) with likely all types of cars as opposed to being ignorant and a brand loyalist.