General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Think My Car Was Wrecked Before

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think My Car Was Wrecked Before

Well I Always Noticed That My Driver Side Door Had The Sticker Removed,the One With All The Good Info. And Noticed That The Black Paint On The Bolts That Hold The Door On The Car Are Chipped And Rusty.as If The Door Has Been Off Before.and Wondering If Its A Different Door Entirely.also Looks As If Someone Taped Off The Door Because Of Paint Build Up Around The Stickers.definately Re Painted At Least...how Can I Find The Real Info Sticker For My Car And How Could I Know If Its Been Wrecked......also Wierd Is The Front K Member Has Markings With A Salvage Yard Type Parts Pen.like A Pen They Mark **** With..i Am Getting Worried As I Bought It Used And For A Good Amount Of Green..please Help Me Find Out The Truth.thank You!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like it's been apart before. If there's nothing on carfax, you'll never know. Doesn't really change anything, if it's been rebuilt properly it'll drive good as new. Might lower the value a small bit, but if you're planning to keep it that hardly matters.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM dealer can pull all the options it has if you give them the VIN. Honestly if the K-member has been replaced then you may have something worry about, CarFax??
Old 08-20-2006, 04:00 AM
Banned

so i go to carfax and enter my vin number.it should show wrecks and such.and if it was wrecked then could i get some money back or sue the dealership that sold it to me.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW friend,

I had a brand new ford truck at one time. I bought it from the local ford dealer with .5 miles on the clock... I had to give 14.5k CASH for it new.

I then promptly SMASHED into the back of a damn 'wonder bread' truck on the 7th day of ownership.
Popped the airbags, Smashed a rim, Flattened one tire, Smashed the front of my truck so darn bad it pushed the quarterpanel (among other things) back into the door jamb somewhat. It took 3 guys (at the scene) to crack the door open enough so I could get the hell out. The front it was so crushed that it exploded (mushed) my battery and shot battery acid all over the engine bay (among other misc. fluids). I 'mushed' this truck so bad, i was leaking at least 3 different kinds of fluid on the ground...

(I still got really cool pics of the damage I inflicted to a Ford and a couple of 'souveneir' pieces of the carnage )

The Insurance Company would NOT call the truck 'totaled' because it was new and that 'their' estimate to repair the damage was less than 80% of the vehicle cost... The shop that was fixing it took @3 mos. and I had to take it back MANY times because things were just not right with it afterwards...
A few things that never were really 'repaired' correctly were:
They never did replace all of the stickers that were melted by the battery acid under the hood. (I had NO stickers at all under the hood in the front of the truck)
They never could figure out why the airbag light would come on at random while driving down the road...
They never would fix/replace all of the engines' aluminum parts that were 'stained' by the battery acid...
Under streetlights at night, the mismatched paint job was painfully obvious...
The list goes on and on...

This truck was 'traded in' for a newer model SUV at the same dealer that I bought it at after about 6 mos. of ownership.

It was a rainy day and the truck was a little dirty. (no one noticed that the paint on the front half did not match the paint on the back half) The 'vehicle Inspection' consisted of them getting in the truck, starting it up, revving it one time, writing down the mileage, and then getting out so we could go back inside to finish the 'deal'.

They never noticed and had no clue at the time... (no carfax run, I got KBB)

I soon thereafter drove off in a NEW SUV and they got my... (you know)

Damn good on your part to notice stuff like 'missing stickers'...
IMHO, That is a really BIG red flag...

Keep your eyes open and try to look closely if you think something may be amiss... My advice FWIW.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was NOT trying to bum you out BREAKPARTS. I just wanted to tell you that story so you would be a little more 'aware' of what CAN sometimes happen when buying a used car...

I really hope it all works out with you and your ride friend. It IS possible that you were more lucky than the guy that bought my old truck.