General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

loading a Z28 on a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 AM
SMS
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default loading a Z28 on a trailer

I am looking at possibly traveling this next week to look at/buy a camaro. Is there enough ground clearance to drive it onto say, a U-haul trailer without scraping, or hitting the nose on the ramps? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SMS
I am looking at possibly traveling this next week to look at/buy a camaro. Is there enough ground clearance to drive it onto say, a U-haul trailer without scraping, or hitting the nose on the ramps? Thanks.
Depends on how steep the ramps are. Never use Uhaul but any other trailer I've used needs longer ramps to make the angle shallower. nose hitting was not a problem but high centering the ramp/to/trailer transit might scape. someone else whose used these particular trailers should chime in soon. sorry if I didnt help any or much.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

When I put my lowered Z with kook LTs on a flat bed tow truck we used 4x4s to make sure i wouldn't scrape.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Launching!

IF...you decide and or find out the available ramps are too short and provide too steep of an angle you can (very carefully) place a second set of boards/ramps on the first pair where the tops of the second ramps lie on the middle of the first ones. Kinda two stage it. it provides a more gradual slope but this can be unstable if the boards are not thick enough or too narrow.
on a nother note you can back the trailer up too a steep slope/hill or a ditch and use the ramps to brigde any gap not closable. the angle should be fairly shallow. hope this helps, if I convied this in a confusing manner let me know and I may able to clarify a little. good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Ive used the Uhal dual tandem trailer to move my car, I had some problems with my X-pipe getting caught up when I was off loading it(eibach pro-kit), but just lowering the landing gear down and raising the nose of the trailer fixed it, and the nose of my car didnt rub or anything when I was putting it on or taking it off. Hope this helps!!
Old 08-26-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might want to have some 2x4's handy. i had mine towed on a trailer once and it scraped really bad going up and coming off. It was really painful. i also have the pro-kit.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several options in my area. I've used a couple of them.

Call around to all the rental places within 20 miles and find out what car carriers are available. Go look at them. Make sure you have a big enough truck to pull the car/trailer combo out of any contortions you may make while loading (ditches, etc.)

The place I go to has an aluminum car carrier that provides a tilt option. They also have a big flatbed with ramps that was a close fit, but worked pretty good.

Don't forget to check all your light connections, and ensure you have the correct size ball and hitch in advance. You don't want any suprises when you arrive to hook up!

It may help to air the car's tires up extra to give a smidge more clearance, so an air tank may be nice to have.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:29 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also place a jack under the tounge, and bring it to a peak. this will help with the slope of the trailer.
steer clear of the jack of course, just in case it moves.
ive done this numerous times with good luck.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Try and get a trailer that is dove-tailed on the end. That will help you out with clearance. Also make sure the trailer fenders are out of the way of your door, or you'll have to pull a Bo Duke each time you load/unload.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea a jack in the front helps a lot otherwise go to a lumberyard and get some long boards to put on the ramps.. its like extensions for a helluva lot cheaper