General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Muscle or Sports?
Muscle Cars
71.43%
Sports Cars
11.43%
Sports Cars until you start modifying the motor for more power
5.24%
Its semantic
11.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

muscle or sports car

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a classic car show the other day. I loved talking with those old dudes about cars. They all reminesced about the good old days when cars had muscle. Then I realized that my RX7 that I drove to the event could outrun all of them as they came from the factory (not to mention outhandling them), even the GTO's. In fact, I think NOW is the golden age of cars. Engines are putting out ridiculous amounts of power. When a Honduh Accord can do 0-60 in 6 seconds, something wonderful is going on.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silicone boy
I went to a classic car show the other day. I loved talking with those old dudes about cars. They all reminesced about the good old days when cars had muscle. Then I realized that my RX7 that I drove to the event could outrun all of them as they came from the factory (not to mention outhandling them), even the GTO's. In fact, I think NOW is the golden age of cars. Engines are putting out ridiculous amounts of power. When a Honduh Accord can do 0-60 in 6 seconds, something wonderful is going on.
It's not they didnt make power , they did. They had shitty little tires and used leaf spring suspension<which has been made to work on lethally quick cars in recent times though. My 68 uses mostly factory parts as available and is quick for being almost 35 years old. Be warned that you might be comparing your car to common/ better known muscle cars which arent the quickest ones. its the obscure ones that'll pull someone that hasnt done their home work.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They had more problems than tires, they were a little on the heavy side also. Having said that, I love old muscle. Even though I swing from the nuts of the Ls1, nothing can compare to the site or sound of a bbc under the hood. Just my $.02
Old 09-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
They had more problems than tires, they were a little on the heavy side also. Having said that, I love old muscle. Even though I swing from the nuts of the Ls1, nothing can compare to the site or sound of a bbc under the hood. Just my $.02
For the time period they were hot performers. It takes alot of work (money) to make them perform like a newer model. My 68 has manual drum brakes all around. Not many people I'de wish that safety problem on . Replacing the front subframe is a great mod but it comes with cost and labor getting the old fenders and panels to re aline. Weight? usually they are heavy. Dont kid your self though. My 68 in street trim,junk in trunk, half tank of gas, blah blah blah weighs in at only 3200 lbs. compare that to the newer ones. easy to make them even lighter. Some old muscle weighs under 3000lbs! Same muscle car (s)I just mentioned in the last post that doesnt get the attention a first gen camaro gets.
And yes.. new cars import and domestic and some not ment to be performers have ran close to my 68 in the 1/8 and street. frustrating and embarassing most definitly. original for my car as I used to run it was open dif rear, 2.73 gear, two speed auto no stall, two barrel 327 no 2x hump heads. WEAK!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They ran 11's in a ZR1(or was it Zl1?) Vette from back in the day (with slicks and exhaust removed). All aluminum 427 with 500+ whp from the factory, I really would call THAT the pinnacle of a golden age. I mean, back then a burnout got no attention from the cops for the most part, it was all in fun, much less people on the roads, no emmissions standards, etc. etc. etc. That was the golden age man, we may have more technology, but we are so limited in its use I mean, when is the last time you got to do 120 on a road trip for an extended period of time w/o fear of not being able to just mash it and go on your way? I dunno, I just dont feel like now is the golden era, I was born way too late
Old 09-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

Muscle car with fresh technology. ~Joshua
Old 09-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stanger88
They ran 11's in a ZR1(or was it Zl1?) Vette from back in the day (with slicks and exhaust removed). All aluminum 427 with 500+ whp from the factory, I really would call THAT the pinnacle of a golden age. I mean, back then a burnout got no attention from the cops for the most part, it was all in fun, much less people on the roads, no emmissions standards, etc. etc. etc. That was the golden age man, we may have more technology, but we are so limited in its use I mean, when is the last time you got to do 120 on a road trip for an extended period of time w/o fear of not being able to just mash it and go on your way? I dunno, I just dont feel like now is the golden era, I was born way too late
ZL1, I get the times mixed up for the camaro version and the vette. I'll look em up its been awhile. Yep, I'm with you on that I also feel they were the pinnacle of muscle cars in their day. Born late? I dunno. I also talk to the older folks that was there and they all enjoyed it but really had no idea at the time that those cars would be this popular 40 years later not to mention this valuable. Fun back then? You bet! my old man has some stories to tell. Varified by mom, his brother, and his dad. Easier to run from cops back then .
Old 09-10-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ALL fbodies are MUSCLE cars......like it has been said before Sport cars are 2 seaters...
Old 09-10-2006, 02:44 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

i guess you could say f-bodies are just another chapter in the timeline of muscle cars.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silicone boy
The ZL1 Camaro was tested by Super Stock magazine in 1969 and it was driven to the track from the dealers lot. Bone stock with the 2/4" exhaust and 6 1/2" biased ply tires the car ran a low 13, after a set of M/H racemasters, some minor tuning adjustements and unbolting the exhaust manifolds the car ran an 11.64 @122. The 69 Yenko Camaros recorded an average time of 12.60 and the Baldwin Motion fase three Camaros were guaranteed to run at least 11.50 or your money was refunded. then you had the 68 Shelby KR "considered the baddest of the production Shelbys" with the 428 CJ that ran the same numbers as the 302 CI Z/28, approx. 14.70. Your correct in saying the muscle cars by todays standards were not the best of performers but there were some bad *** cars back then.

When the Z/28 was introduced in 67 I believe it started pushing the envelope as a sports car. The Z/28 could out handle most of the european exotics, remember the Z/28 was invented to compete in SCCA "Sports Car Club of America".
Old 09-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLMoses
ALL fbodies are MUSCLE cars......like it has been said before Sport cars are 2 seaters...
You sure they aren't pony cars?

Old school muscle cars made no power. Technology back then
was basically non-existant. The same will be said about us 50 years
from now. It's inevitable.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by unit213

See, Unit agrees with me and you are all wrong, its a pony car

*Runs for cover while dauning flame suite*
Old 09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213

68 hemi dart ring a bell?

2150 pounds
MODESTLY rated 425hp actuall was closer to 600hp.
mid-low 10s @ 130-135 mph

goes like hell in a straight line, God help you if you had to brake or turn.

my vote= modern muscle

Last edited by -Freak-; 09-10-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,202 Posts

You can try to swing from someone else's ***** all you like, but most of us still disagree with you.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 09-10-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You can try to swing from someone else's ***** all you like, but most of us still disagree with you.

I just go with what GM themselves call it. The GTO could ARGUABLY be called muscle, but I dont think the F-bods fit that quite as easily. Matter of opinion at this point it seems though.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:59 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Stanger88Matter of opinion at this point it seems though.[/QUOTE]

We have a winner! We're all so full of opinions
Old 09-11-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Pontiac said "The Muscle Car Lives"..........end of debate
Old 09-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Read the poll results. Seems most people who have their own opinion have a common idea. Maybe just that... an idea. But look at the tread. gotta point it out at this point i time. This tread's getting long..hehehe
pony cars sports cars
Old 09-12-2006, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Definetely a muscle car..... I've a '67 big block Chevelle and my '99 LS1 Camaro will easily keep up with it, if not beat it, and still get 28mpg on the highway!!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Launching!

*Runs for cover while dauning flame suite*
I agree too. A Muscle car is a sedan that has been endowed with a large cube motor and the driveline to handle it and not much else. I laughed so hard when people bitched that the current GTO was a rebadged Monaro. The original GTO was fricken rebadged Tempest. But after triple X and Dom Toretto lameness, suddenly the GTO is some god car. It was a 396 cube motor in your Grampys Tempest. Very cool. Very significant historicly. But based on a Tempest.

Mustangs, Javelins, Camaros, etc are made to do more than go fast in a strait line, even if that is the most popular thing to mod them for. They always were intended to handle and be smaller nimble cars. Only when displacements took a plunge in the mid 70s through the mid 90s did Camaros start to be considered Muscle.

You want brute force, a alky big block will own all. Period. You want finesse, then the Camaro is your ticket.

Quick Reply: muscle or sports car