General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Muscle or Sports?
Muscle Cars
71.43%
Sports Cars
11.43%
Sports Cars until you start modifying the motor for more power
5.24%
Its semantic
11.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

muscle or sports car

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

69% agree with Pontiac. "The muscle car lives!"

Old 09-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nseldy
Definetely a muscle car..... I've a '67 big block Chevelle and my '99 LS1 Camaro will easily keep up with it, if not beat it, and still get 28mpg on the highway!!
pics, video, info, sig give us somthin' on that 67!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sparetire
I agree too. A Muscle car is a sedan that has been endowed with a large cube motor and the driveline to handle it and not much else. I laughed so hard when people bitched that the current GTO was a rebadged Monaro. The original GTO was fricken rebadged Tempest. But after triple X and Dom Toretto lameness, suddenly the GTO is some god car. It was a 396 cube motor in your Grampys Tempest. Very cool. Very significant historicly. But based on a Tempest.

Mustangs, Javelins, Camaros, etc are made to do more than go fast in a strait line, even if that is the most popular thing to mod them for. They always were intended to handle and be smaller nimble cars. Only when displacements took a plunge in the mid 70s through the mid 90s did Camaros start to be considered Muscle.

You want brute force, a alky big block will own all. Period. You want finesse, then the Camaro is your ticket.
Pretty much agree. Couple of little things though, the GTO had a 389, not a 396. Don't just judgge the GTO on this though, ALL muscle cars were basically the same thing. A big engine in a midsize car. The original Camaro's=Pony car, 4th gen& 5th gen= modern muscle. To me, a pony car is a compromise between a muscle car and a sports car. JMHO
Old 09-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Talking

Sports car, then mod some muscle on.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

i voted musle cars.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sports cars are exotic, refined, lightweight cars that you would expect to see being driven by hot chicks in Beverly Hills.They have exhausts that sound like indy cars, and are seldom modified from stock.

Muscle cars are loud, obnoxious, heavy, and intimidating cars that have interiors filled with add-on gages,bad stereos, and pleather bucket seats.The owners are likely to be spotted at car part swap meets or local car cruises. The cars are more likely to be spotted at the local dairy queen parking lot,at a local car show with a cheesy stuffed animal on the front seat, or overheating in the drive-through at burger king.

It is pretty obvious which of the above categories that the 98-02 F-bodies fall into...
Old 09-14-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HAHAHAHA, thanks for the chuckle!
Old 09-16-2006, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

I voted semantics but on second thought I think I was wrong . I am an elderly guy of 57 yrs and I don't think there is a true spots car anymore. I think they died out with the Triumphs and MG's of the 50's and 60's because I think a true sports car has two seats,functional wire wheels, and a rag top.
just my .02
Old 09-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Muscle cars are loud, obnoxious, heavy, and intimidating cars that have interiors filled with add-on gages,bad stereos, and pleather bucket seats.The owners are likely to be spotted at car part swap meets or local car cruises. The cars are more likely to be spotted at the local dairy queen parking lot,at a local car show with a cheesy stuffed animal on the front seat, or overheating in the drive-through at burger king.
That's classic...very creative! It's funny because it's true.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darrensls1
IMO all F-bodies are muscle cars. Here is my logic:

Sports cars do not have back seats.

Sports cars do not weigh 3500+ lbs.

Sports cars do not have jokes made about them referring to mullets
aside from the mullet quip, a 911 Turbo would not be a sports car according to you.

Muscle cars:
can't handle
can't brake
can't start in cold weather
vibrate more than a 120 dB sub system
are insanely loud
should be insanely fast in a straight line
and have the biggest, smelliest, fuel thirsty polluting engine you can possibly stuff between the fenders.
Interiors are optional, roll cages should be mandatory in a muscle car.

Since they made f-bodies from 1985-2002 actually capable of handling decently, and handling like formula 1 cars with suspension mods, I'd say late model f-bodies are sports cars. They have the look, feel, and handling of one, inspite of having a back seat (which IS removable) and hick jokes associated with them.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quick1998Z28
aside from the mullet quip, a 911 Turbo would not be a sports car according to you.
I'm not so sure about that. The 2007 Porsche 911 turbo is under 3500 pounds (albeit just barely). The 2007 Porsche 922 turbo has a rear storage area but I'm not prepared to call that a back seat I know my back seat is small but I can and have gotten two 220 lbs guys back there. I think the Porsche might get two 20 lbs bags of groceries back there but that's about it

Muscle cars:
can't handle
can't brake
can't start in cold weather
vibrate more than a 120 dB sub system
are insanely loud
should be insanely fast in a straight line
and have the biggest, smelliest, fuel thirsty polluting engine you can possibly stuff between the fenders.
Interiors are optional, roll cages should be mandatory in a muscle car.
That was true back in the sixties. This is where the term "modern muscle car" has to come into play. My very basic criteria for modern muscle is the car has to be:

Fast in a straight line: check
Heavy: check
loud: It has a nice rumble. Add LT's and catback to get a monster..CHECK
Aggressive looks but not enough to drop non-enthusiasts jaws: Check
Handles ok but won't break any world records: Check

F-body fits perfectly to me

Since they made f-bodies from 1985-2002 actually capable of handling decently, and handling like formula 1 cars with suspension mods, I'd say late model f-bodies are sports cars. They have the look, feel, and handling of one, inspite of having a back seat (which IS removable) and hick jokes associated with them.
I disagree. I think they easily fit into modern muscle more then a sports car. I consider a sports car something that makes people turn thier heads at the site of one. Not to mention being light, powerful, defined but not obnoxious exhaust, two doors, two seats and mostly driven by rich men mostly over 35. Thus I think of sports cars as being like the Viper, Vette, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Ford GT and well you get the idea.

And by looking at the current poll results, it would seem the majority of people here agree with my conclusion of F-body = modern muscle. But of course this is just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by Stanger88
See, Unit agrees with me and you are all wrong, its a pony car

*Runs for cover while dauning flame suite*

Pony Cars are a class of muscle car. GTO, CHARGER,CHEVELLE are intermediate muscle cars. Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Cudas are pony car muscle cars. Check the American Muscle Car club for the classifications.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stanger88
The F-body is a Pony car. Dang, and its NOT SEMANTICS, you want proof?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car

Give it up, your car falls under a category defined and created by Ford Motor Company.
That's not proof, dont you know that wikipedia is NOT based on proven fact. It's opinions. You ever watch the Colbert Report? He explains that.

Also, i'll never refer to a F-body as a pony car. As far as i'm concerned, only the mustangs are pony cars. Pony=a horse, Mustang=a horse, Pony=Mustang. Period

Last edited by 98 Raptor TA; 09-24-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Voted muscle car.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

It's a pony car.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 Raptor TA
That's not proof, dont you know that wikipedia is NOT based on proven fact. It's opinions. You ever watch the Colbert Report? He explains that.

Also, i'll never refer to a F-body as a pony car. As far as i'm concerned, only the mustangs are pony cars. Pony=a horse, Mustang=a horse, Pony=Mustang. Period
Old 09-28-2006, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

If you look at the basic formula for muscle cars which is the lightest car you can find with the biggest engine you've got with a dash of the average guy can afford it then it fits a muscle car perfectly. It will also run almost as fast as the fastest muscle cars could back in the day. In many cases faster. As far as calling it a sports car... it has a suspension that does have some good handling qualities but it is ultimatly a solid axled race car. To me a sports car must have a few things. One is 4 wheel independent suspension,two seats only,a raspy exhaust, often less then 8 cylinders, often more then one turbo, a price tag out of reach for the average joe and a fear of high speed bumps. The camaro has none of these and is therefore a musclecar. The new camaros get mislabeled as sports cars because unlike their older "real" muscle car counterparts the new cars have the chassis, suspension and tires to handle the power and speed. That doesn't make them sports cars that makes them better muscle cars.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K Z28
If you look at the basic formula for muscle cars which is the lightest car you can find with the biggest engine you've got with a dash of the average guy can afford it then it fits a muscle car perfectly.
Actually many many muscle cars were on the porky side...
Old 09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Since they made f-bodies from 1985-2002 actually capable of handling decently, and handling like formula 1 cars with suspension mods, I'd say late model f-bodies are sports cars.
F-bodies are capable of handling very well with suspension mods but I doubt they could ever equal a formula one car.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

muscle car all the way, most everyone here said what i was thinking.

F-body will never ever = a Pony car
Mustang=Pony car

I heard this once ..."Ponys can run...but Birds can Fly"...

Quick Reply: muscle or sports car