General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Muscle or Sports?
Muscle Cars
71.43%
Sports Cars
11.43%
Sports Cars until you start modifying the motor for more power
5.24%
Its semantic
11.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

muscle or sports car

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Muscle car
Old 09-29-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Muscle Car all the way!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definetely modern muscle...I got into this arguement at a local car show when i entered my car in a muscle car class and took first over a 69' big block chevelle. The old bastard argued with me for awhile and then when the proposition of a race to prove who's really got the muscle came up, he backed off real quick. A V8 camaro/firebird has and always will be american muscle..no if, ands or buts about it.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

I dont know guys, the only GM cars I consider muscle cars are the ones you have to flip the license plate down to fill the gas.

I consider the F-body a pony car.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for pony car... although muscle works just as well when you compare to the other performance variants out there.

The '96 Impala SS is a good example of a modern muscle car IMO, as are the Charger, 300C, & Marauder. I think a true "muscle car" is bigger than a pony car that has its roots based in a mid to large-sized "normal" car. Many people consider the birth of the muscle car to be the 1964 GTO... a re-badged Tempest with a big motor in it. Think of Chevelles, the Imala SS, Super Bees, Road Runner, Galaxy, Charger, Torino, Skylark, 442, etc... F-bodies have always been designed to compete with the Mustang... therefore are pony cars.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by A-man930
+1 for pony car... although muscle works just as well when you compare to the other performance variants out there.

The '96 Impala SS is a good example of a modern muscle car IMO, as are the Charger, 300C, & Marauder. I think a true "muscle car" is bigger than a pony car that has its roots based in a mid to large-sized "normal" car. Many people consider the birth of the muscle car to be the 1964 GTO... a re-badged Tempest with a big motor in it. Think of Chevelles, the Imala SS, Super Bees, Road Runner, Galaxy, Charger, Torino, Skylark, 442, etc... F-bodies have always been designed to compete with the Mustang... therefore are pony cars.
In the sixties a 3800 pound car was a light car. Thats a GTO and many others. It started using the light car bodies the companies had then it evolved into them designing chassis that were dedicated to putting the most amount of engine in the smallest car possible. Cases in point are the nova,camaro,chevelle,dart,cuda,challenger,buick GS,Olds 4-4-2, and the firebird. All of these cars are what i consider to be the high point of old school muscle and each of these cars in 1969 would be hard pressed to weigh mre then 3500 pounds. Sure there was the chargers and the like but to me real muscle has always ment under 3500 pounds. I guess we should just throw all these into the pony car catagory too? Pony car to me has always ment it has a horse on it hence the name. Camaros and the rest were simple muscle cars ment to kill ponies. If you think a big block camaro or hemi challenger is a pony car your just plain silly. Those cars where not built to do anything but go fast in a straight line.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Launching!

camaro and firebird were general motors answer to the mustang a little something called the pony car wars
Old 09-29-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nukeemall454
camaro and firebird were general motors answer to the mustang a little something called the pony car wars
and the pony car wars was an important part of the muscle car era
Old 09-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Launching!

yes i agree Y2K a little of both but still a pony car
Old 09-29-2006, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because a car has alot of ponies doesn't mean it is one

Muscle car.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stanger88
The F-body is a Pony car. Dang, and its NOT SEMANTICS, you want proof?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car

Give it up, your car falls under a category defined and created by Ford Motor Company.
well you should check out the link you posted click on pontiac firebird and look at its class ..
MUSCLE CAR
Old 09-29-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

A Mazda Miata or a Honda 2000 is a sports car, but a V8 F-body is a muscle car!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

I was watching the Barrett Jackson auction on the Speed Channel yesterday, and when a 1st gen Camaro rolled across the block, they called it a pony car.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

I was at a Ford dealership about two years ago looking for a car for my wife. I told the salesman she wanted something kind of sporty and with a little power. He said and I quote:

"If she likes muscle cars I have a 2000 Trans Am on my used lot."

I didn't think much about that comment until this thread. I know it's just one guys opinion but I do find it funny that a Ford salesman called the TA a muscle car.

What I want to know is why does this matter? Will labeling it one name or another change what it does in a quarter mile, how it looks or how we feel when we are driving it?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i believe an F-Body is a musclecar, which derived from what was once a pony car. a corvette, on the other hand, is a sportscar. 2 seaters are sports cars, and 4 seaters aren't.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stanger88
The F-body is a Pony car. Dang, and its NOT SEMANTICS, you want proof?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car

Give it up, your car falls under a category defined and created by Ford Motor Company.
considering GM purposely made a ponycar to compete with ford's.. and did quite well against it, if not better. it's not like it unintentionally fell under the name "ponycar" like u make it sound. we're not ashamed of our ponycar siblings.

and thank god GM never made a "fox body" F-Body...
Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Y2K Z28
In the sixties a 3800 pound car was a light car. Thats a GTO and many others. It started using the light car bodies the companies had then it evolved into them designing chassis that were dedicated to putting the most amount of engine in the smallest car possible. Cases in point are the nova,camaro,chevelle,dart,cuda,challenger,buick GS,Olds 4-4-2, and the firebird. All of these cars are what i consider to be the high point of old school muscle and each of these cars in 1969 would be hard pressed to weigh mre then 3500 pounds. Sure there was the chargers and the like but to me real muscle has always ment under 3500 pounds. I guess we should just throw all these into the pony car catagory too? Pony car to me has always ment it has a horse on it hence the name. Camaros and the rest were simple muscle cars ment to kill ponies. If you think a big block camaro or hemi challenger is a pony car your just plain silly. Those cars where not built to do anything but go fast in a straight line.
Notice I said "mid to large SIZED car", I don't care how much it weighs. Yes, there were Camaros, Firebirds, 'Cudas, Challengers, Mustangs, etc... that had big blocks stuffed between the fenders with the pure intention to go fast in a straight line. But the bottom line is these cars were all built to compete with the Mustang. Face it, the Mustang created a new catergory of muscle cars, appropriately named pony cars. They directly competed with eachother on the market and on the racetrack, remember the TransAm series?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

That is all.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darrensls1

That is all.
Doesn't really prove alot, only that Pontiac wanted to advertise the 4th gen as a "muscle car". It would've been stupid for them to say "the pony car lives", not as many people know what that means.
I think of it like this: A pony car is a type of musclecar spawned from the Mustang. This would include the Chevrolet Camaro, Pontiac Firebird, AMC Javelin, Plymoth Barracuda, Dodge Challenger, and Ford Mustang. All of these cars competed in the Trans Am race series, and all had street versions of them avalible (Boss, Z/28, T/A, Trans Am, AMX, etc...)
The lines are a bit blurred nowadays, for instance modern "musclecars" can handle unlike their predecessors. But to say a 4th gen Camaro or Trans Am isn't a pony car would be like saying a Ford Ranger is a truck. A correct statement, but more specificly, it's a small truck. 4th gens were pony cars, and so will the 5th gens.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Who should I believe? A-man930 or Pontiac along with 72% of the voters here?

Decisions, decisions.

Oh yeah,

That works for me

Quick Reply: muscle or sports car