General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Getting used to an f-body?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting used to an f-body?

Just curious. I've always wanted to buy a Trans Am all my life... Black, 6-speed, WS6, eventually forge it and do a twin turbo setup... That's always been my thing.. I love the styling inside and out.. I'm buying one soon and if I like it as much as I've liked it in my head, I'm going to keep it until I'm an old fart.

I test drove a WS6 tonight for the first time tonight (automatic, but I just drove it to see how I liked it)...

It's... Something to get used to I guess. The nose was wayyy longer and harder to see out of than my GTP, that's for sure.. The doors were a lottt longer and heavier than what I was used to and the steering was a lottt tighter. I can get used to the low thing... But the nose seemed to bother me from the drivers seat.. I just hopped in for a test drive real quick, maybe I should've put more time into adjusting my seat...

BUT! Here's the question.. Have any of you guys done the whole non-sportscar to WS6/F-body jump? Did it take you guys a while to get used to it? Any regrets?

I'm ~5'10" but I'd be tempted to get a seat cushion just to have a better view over the nose.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

you will get used to it..I have had a Trucking Company for 20 years and after we saw one at a dealer, we went for a drive.......We drove there in one of my 5 Ton - 24 ft Flatdecks....talk about different....
Old 09-21-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you will quickly get used to the nose and realize they are very comfortable to drive. I'm 6'3 and I think it's the most comfortable car I've ever sat it. No regrets here
Old 09-21-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to hear. I made a post on LS2.com and they all have said the same things so far.. Still looking for people's inputs though.

I'm looking to buy one really soon (within the next 2 months), so I thought I'd ask. Gotta see what business is doing first though. Should be funded by next month! wooo hoo!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went from a 94 MX-6 to my 99 Camaro. The long front end was the first thing I noticed. It felt like it was twice as long as my MX-6. After time though, it was smooth sailing. Good luck when you get your WS6
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Youll get used to it after a couple weeks of driving it.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get used to it. The hardest thing for me to adjust to was getting in and out. People think I park at the back of the lot to avoid dings, and that's true, but I also park there so some ***** bag doesn't park next to me. Then I can't open the door all the way and its a major PITA to get in.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1cleanbird
you will quickly get used to the nose and realize they are very comfortable to drive. I'm 6'3 and I think it's the most comfortable car I've ever sat it. No regrets here
cosigns
Old 09-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a modded 93 crown vic, then got my TA. No problems, VERY short learning curve, good to go in an hour. Loved it. Soon to get another one, LS1 this time
Old 09-22-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

I went from an 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE to a 98 Formula.....took me about a week to get used to but the torque is seriously insane, just be careful around turns in the rain, very easy to get sideways
Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp
Just curious. I've always wanted to buy a Trans Am all my life... Black, 6-speed, WS6, eventually forge it and do a twin turbo setup... That's always been my thing.. I love the styling inside and out.. I'm buying one soon and if I like it as much as I've liked it in my head, I'm going to keep it until I'm an old fart.

I test drove a WS6 tonight for the first time tonight (automatic, but I just drove it to see how I liked it)...

It's... Something to get used to I guess. The nose was wayyy longer and harder to see out of than my GTP, that's for sure.. The doors were a lottt longer and heavier than what I was used to and the steering was a lottt tighter. I can get used to the low thing... But the nose seemed to bother me from the drivers seat.. I just hopped in for a test drive real quick, maybe I should've put more time into adjusting my seat...

BUT! Here's the question.. Have any of you guys done the whole non-sportscar to WS6/F-body jump? Did it take you guys a while to get used to it? Any regrets?

I'm ~5'10" but I'd be tempted to get a seat cushion just to have a better view over the nose.
nah, i went from an S-10 to my Camaro, ive wanted it my whole life so i got used to it. it aint hard, just crank your seat up if you have power.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp

I'm gonna guess you are quite young right?

You get used to anything in time. And at 5'10" I really doubt a cusion is needed, I'm not that tall and I have no problems with it. Plus sticking a cusion behind you is hardly in the interests of safety is it.

Plus Fbody's aren't really low, just cos the Mustang is upright doesn't mean the Fbody is lying on the floor. My Tr7 is much lower as was my XJS I owned previous and my borthers MGF seats you much closers to the ground than an Fbody.

Personally I don't think there's any issues with a car the size of an fbody, espcially not considering the size of US roads and car parks (parking lots!!!!).

But if you really aren't happy then I guess it's not the car for you, but in that case I think you probably wouldn't like a GTO, Mustang or even a Corvette.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

From a 94 s-10 (first car) to my 98 T/A, maybe its just me, but it doesn't take me long to get used any car or truck. plus my friend had a 97 camaro for a long time, and I drove that every once in a while.

Good luck getting your car.

JD
Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
cosigns
what did you mean? cosign?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Default 5'9" and no cushion

You just have to get used to it. It is a very comfortable cockpit for me. I'm 5'9" and have owned F-bodies for 10+ years now. I can't imagine being without one. I drove about 25,000 miles a year in my job in a regular full-size sedan. Jumping into the F-body afterwards was like coming home. You will see.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

mahhddgtp- You live only 40 miles away from me. My turbos will be in the car Saturday night. I've got some cruising lined up. If it's nice weather on Sunday we could meet up.

You can see for yourself what a cammed/twin turbo'd Firehawk is like.
~Joshua 678/492/6843
Old 09-30-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah crap.. Of course I work this Sunday (unless it rains)

But hey, it'll be the last weekend then I'm done with this job. So maybe there's something else to be worked out... Definitely want to know how your car freakin' feels
Old 09-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GF got put into the '01 T/A to replace the crappy Sentra she was driving, scared the livin' beejeebus outta her at first . Then came the fateful day when some kids in a Mustang started messing with her on the interstate, and something evil awoke in her. Suddenly, there were questions like " What kinda stuff can we do to make it faster?" and now I'm being harrassed 'cause "You spend all your money on that Camaro and you won't buy anything for your T/A !" Holy googly moogly , I've created a monster here.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

youll get used to it and youll love it i promise that
Old 10-03-2006, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

i've got a chyrsler and a t/a...tell u what to do ..come to a complete stop..mash the throtlle ...if u don't have a smile on ur face buy a caddy!!