General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

solve a debate, 1000 hp.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Yes, but that's the whole point, a OHV would not be able to sustain such rpms. It take DOHC tech to be able to do it, plus the thing called curtain area.

Ferrari 4.3 V8, has 5 valves per cylinder and manages 493bhp @ 8500rpm. Yet it's smooth and docile at 1500rpm. A 2v OHV motor will not be able to compeat at both ends of the spectrum..
Is that true? I don't know the answer to that. I do know that there are some 7L+ V8's that make your 8500rpm number. Ofcourse they have to be solid roller, but their piston speed is MUCH greater than the Ferarri's you listed. That Ferrari's cylinder's aren't that large at 4.3L and 8 cylinders. Don't just look at the displacement of engine, but the size of the individual cylinders. Those are pretty small pistons and not nearly the stroke of the 7L V8.

Don't get me wrong, the Ferrari engine is extremely impressive. I'm just curious as to how ohc's are capable of higher RPM's than ohv's of the same size? I honestly don't know.

I hear this again and again, but no one has EVER been able to actually confirm OHV's are cheaper than OHC's to make.
I swear I didn't make this up. I thought it was mainly due to less moving parts. I actually think I wrote about it in a paper for school about 4 years ago. Maybe I'll be able to find it.
Old 10-03-2006 | 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess you have been taking this discussion personally. As logically its the only reason I can think of for some of your comments.

Originally Posted by Specialized
Another point that 300bhp/ton missed is a truity in any physics equation. Its not just the math you need to look at here. If you have a motor which makes 500lb/ft at 7200rpm, then thats great.. and it will make oodles of HP. But power is not all about HP, simply because you can state the equation and tell us that higher RPM= higher HP.
eh?

You need the torque to be there too.
HP is just an expression of torque at speed. HP WILL NOT exist without torque, but if torque exists then there is HP.

If I find a motor which makes 1200 lb/ft at 4200rpm and a motor which makes 100lb/ft at 15000rpm, Thats a tripled rpm range and the HP calc will still not be even close. (5,040,000 vs. 1,500,000)
Ok you seem of be comparing a blender with dragster. I mean what sort of engine is capable of producing 1200lb ft @ 4200rpm? None that are streetable.

But alternatively what sort of motor are you using to claim 100lb ft from???

You seem to have sat down with the calculator and just inputted numbers until you've found something you can use to argue with.

Any chance you want to divulge what engines you actually had in mind?

The higher RPM statement doesnt really ring true, unless you can prove to me that it is physically impossible to make an OHV motor spin 10k rpms,
Physically impossible is a strong word. Usable, reliable and durable are all important and this is where OHV is let down. Can you show me a single street going OHV motor using those rpms?

Also there's a thing called curtain area. I'll explane after your next quote.

and you can tune a OHC motor to have as flat of a torque curve as a OHV,
Simply - YES!

Now this is more than just OHV and OHC. It comes down to curtain area.

Assume you had a 2v per cylinder engine. Now this could be OHV or OHC it would matter not in this instance. The combustion chamber has no idea how the valves are being operated.

Now due to curtain area the engine will have an operational rpm range. Say 1500-5500rpm. After that it basically runs out of puff/air. To increase HP you can run a wilder cam(s) and ported heads or even bigger valves. But suddenly your operational power range has changed. It's now 3000-7000rpm. This means it's a bit of pig down in the low rpms. Not very nice to drive, probably won't idle very well.

This is the same for ANY 2v per cylinder engine. OHC and OHV.

Also buy adding bigger vlaves and higher lift cam(s) it means you have to have much greater valve spring pressure. This means increased wear rate.

Multivalve setups like 4 valves per cylinder which are typically found in DOHC engines (but not exclusively, there are some SOHC and even OHV multivalve engines out there).

Such an engine may have an operational rpm range of 1500rpm-7000rpm. So the torque curve will look different anyhow, because it's doing more over the entire rpm. If you took a snap shot of the torque curve over a smaller rpm range (say same as what the 2v works in) then it would be identical. Assuming same bore & stroke of course.

To then gain HP you can do cams and p&p heads the same. But beacue you have double the amount of valves opening you generally won't need such a wild cam or heavy vlave springs so wear rate is reduced.

But you can get say 2000-8000rpm usuable rpm range with a good idle.

With an OHV a limitation is valve train mass. The higher the rpm the less suited it becomes compared to OHC setups.

Lastly, it's very easy to confuse bore & stroke, or more rather forget all about it.

Most OHV engines are long stroke. This suits the valvetrain and the large displacement. Thus making lots of torque low down but generally not liking high rpms.

OHC motors are generally short stroke which again suits the valve train setup, so you will generally see torque in the higher rpms.

This is not a direct function of valvetrain layout, it is merley a side affect associated with bore & stroke in combination with vlave train.

then stop trying to prove mathematically that a motor of higher rpms automatically means more HP.
If you can find where I said that I'll buy you a C6 Z06!

What I said is:

HP = torque (lb ft) x rpm / 5252

Meaning the more torque you can make at higher rpms the more HP.

So to go back to your example:

12,000lb ft @ 4200rpm = 9596HP

Imagine if the SAME torque was produced 2000rpm higher?

12,000lb ft @ 6200rpm = 14,166HP

A massive difference. Using the equation its easy to see that small chances to rpm will have a greater affect on HP than small changes to torque.

Its in the PHYSICS, not the math.

Physics IS maths.
Old 10-03-2006 | 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Physics is the application of math. I didnt take it personally, nor did I intend to personally insult your intelligence in any way.

I was making up theoretical numbers. What should be said here and now and always is that you can have a 3.0L v6 OHV and a 3.0L v6 DOHC, and both can make exact same HP numbers. Its all in the tune.
Old 10-03-2006 | 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Physics is the application of math. I didnt take it personally, nor did I intend to personally insult your intelligence in any way.

I was making up theoretical numbers. What should be said here and now and always is that you can have a 3.0L v6 OHV and a 3.0L v6 DOHC, and both can make exact same HP numbers. Its all in the tune.
No worries, I;m not insulted at all

I love these topical debates, its just sad if it reduces to name calling.

As for your example, then I'm afraid I'd have to disagree.

Assume 3 engines. Identical bore/stroke and heads (where possible). For all intensive purposes they are the same. Except on is 2v OHC, 2v OHV and 4v DOHC.

Now under this circumstance:

both the 2 valve engines will make very similar power across the same rpm range.

However the 4v unit will have a bigger rpm range and will not run out off puff at the same point. So it will by means ot making torque at higher rpms make more power at PEAK. But crucially MATCH the 2v setups below the curve.

for the 2v setups, if you made the stroke longer and bore smaller. You would see very little difference between them. The higher rpms would be restricted due to inertia of the pistons. But a 2v OHC would match the 2v OHV in torque and HP. The down side is the OHC isn't playing to it's strengths. It's using a more complex and liely heavy valvetrain to achieve what a OHV can do.

However if you changed them to a short stroke and large bore setup. The OHC would be more comfortable at higher rpms. And has the potential to make more PEAK HP. However the operational range of the engine would not change, so the advantage is somewhat limited.

A nice example is the ford 4.6 2v unit. It's OHC but for some reason uses a long stroke and really doesn't not make any use of it's OHC design. The DOHC engine adresses this nicely and is by far a superior engine over the 2v unit, although it is still not ideal.

Have a look at the attachment. It's not a particulary good example but I hope it gets the point across.

The left hand chart shows what happens on a 2v setup if you add a high lift cam or big valves, etc. It moves the torque up the rpms (pink line). so you get more HP but you loose out at the lower end. Remember this is the same for ANY 2v setup be it OHC or OHV.

The other graph is a represenation of what a 4v setup can manage. It matches the stock 2v in the low rpm and also in the high rpms. It is in many ways the best of both worlds.

It's never just as simple as OHV vs OHC because there's so much more too it. But ultimatley a multivalve engine capable of spinning high rpms will be able to offer the highest HP and the most driveable.
Attached Thumbnails solve a debate,  1000 hp.....-torque-curve.jpg  
Old 10-03-2006 | 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

I live my life one liter at a time.
Old 10-03-2006 | 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

300bhp/ton-

I did some googling and everything I read pointed to DOHC's generally being more expensive than OHV's.

Another interesting thought I found from someone:

"Here's why GM OHV engines have higher displacement than their OHC competitors...BECAUSE THEY CAN...the absence of a overhead cam makes the engine MUCH smaller, so that the block can be bigger to support higher displacement...

Another by product of the absence of an OHC is LESS WEIGHT...therefore not only can an OHV have more displacement in less size than it's OHC competitor, it WEIGHS LESS...in fact a 5.7 Liter LS1 weighs about the same as the 3.5VQ and has similar physical dimensions, but also with, of course, more displacement..."
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

Default Heh you want HP?

Here is your 1k+ hp N/A pushrod engine
You wont want to see this in your rear view mirror pissed off at you =)
Attached Thumbnails solve a debate,  1000 hp.....-aimg_1429.jpg   solve a debate,  1000 hp.....-aimg_1440.jpg   solve a debate,  1000 hp.....-daves-pics-005resized.jpg  
Old 10-04-2006 | 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Louie83
300bhp/ton-

I did some googling and everything I read pointed to DOHC's generally being more expensive than OHV's.
Yeah I know, but what I can't determine is the truth behind the claims. It just seems to be internet folk lore.

Someone onced claimed it ws cheaper, they told two poeple who told two people and so on.

It's just like some of the mods we perform on our cars, like TB coolant by-pass. Everyone seems convinced it's there to prevent the TB freezing. I say bollox to that, the avaialble evidence and physics don't support that conclusion. However do a search and that's what you'll be told.

Now I'm NOT disagreeing on the costing of OHV compared to OHC. I merely state that I see no evidence to support the theory except for hear say from people who actually don't know. If I was a kjudge and this was a court of law based on the evidence I've seen I would not be able to rule that OHV is cheaper, infact there is more evidence to support that it isn't.

I would like to know though.

Another interesting thought I found from someone:

"Here's why GM OHV engines have higher displacement than their OHC competitors...
Yeah this is something I've heard before. But again I don't really know the truth, sure I know what a OHV looks like, got two different one on my drive at the moment. But I can't really believe OHC can't support the same displacement. Again I think this is very much folk lore spawned by the lack of a large displacement OHC.

I mean take the Ford 427 OHV, it was converted by Ford into a OHC engine for Nascar, known as the Cammer. It still retain 427ci and the block didn't get any bigger. Sure the heads where larger but it didn't double the size of the engine. Also had it been designed from the ground up then the block could have actually been made smaller because you wouldn't have needed room for the cam.

At the end of the day, yes a DOHC engine must end up a bit bigger and heavier, but you have 4 cams as opposed to 1 in the OHV. But I do honestly believe the size and weight difference is minimal under ideal circumstances.

Sadly people always then look at the Ford modular unit, this is not the pinnicle of OHC engines and should never be used as an example as one.

The Jaguar AJV8 is a much better example. It's similar sized to a LS1 ( a little narrower I think but a tad taller, due to 90 degree V and not 45 degree). It also weighs slightly less than a Ls1. So far maximum production capcity is 4.4 litres. But I have no idea what true potential it has. No where near what the displacement an LS1 can be taken too, but then the AJV8 was never intended for that kind of use. Had it been, who knowns. An extra inch in length would of allowed much bigger bores and thus more displacement.

BECAUSE THEY CAN...the absence of a overhead cam makes the engine MUCH smaller, so that the block can be bigger to support higher displacement...
Not sure I understand this, smaller engine can support higher displacement. Doesn't make sense. A cubic inch is a cubic inch and requires the same amount of space regarless of valve train. And as stated an OHV has to make room for the cam in the block where as OHC doesn't. OHC should in theory have greater potential to have a smaller short block but larger displacement. Becuase the block doesn't have to cater for any of the valve train. Th elong block due to DOHC heads maywell make it bigger overall, but that's not relative to your statement.

Another by product of the absence of an OHC is LESS WEIGHT...therefore not only can an OHV have more displacement in less size than it's OHC competitor, it WEIGHS LESS...in fact a 5.7 Liter LS1 weighs about the same as the 3.5VQ and has similar physical dimensions, but also with, of course, more displacement..."
Well I think the above covers my views already on size and weight.

But also look at it this way, an OHC doesn't need the same displacement as a OHV to make the same or more power. This is again one of the key reasons why we don't see large displacement OHC engines. They simply are not needed for production road cars.

Example:

OHV to make 500bhp and be FULLY legal as a production engine. Which means noise and emissions complient, along with durability and driveability.

Currently the best is the LS7 which requires 7 litres. (specific out put of ~71bhp/litre)

Even "aftermarket" modified it will still only reach ~96bhp/litre in a fairly wild setup and produce ~675bhp.

DAMN IMPRESSIVE!!!!!

But potentially a DOHC V8 could easily achieve 100bhp/litre as a STOCK FULLY legal production engine. In which case the OHC would only require 5.0 litres to math the OHV on power.

And then if the "aftermarket" wanted to tune it up, 120bhp/litre would not be out of the question which would bring it very close to the OHV. At 600bhp.

And to be honest you would only need to get the OHV to 135bhp/litre for a 5.0 litre engine to actually match the wild cammed 7.0 OHV @ 675bhp.

Now it probably would end up being rather a revvy beast, but due to curtain area it would probably be smoother in the low rpms and more driveable. This is very a doable, as there are a few 4 cylinder DOHC in production as FULL legal engines making almost this specific output.

At the end of the day, I'm not claiming OHV is rubbish. Because I genuinlly like OHV's and have a personal preference for them. However as an ultimate performance engine DOHC is in concept technically and ultimatley superior.

It's like taking an F15 fighter and pitching it agains a F22 Raptor. You can add every hop up to the F15 with bigger guns extra rockets and so forth. But at the end of the day the F22 is technically superior.
Old 10-04-2006 | 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MadSpeed
Here is your 1k+ hp N/A pushrod engine
You wont want to see this in your rear view mirror pissed off at you =)
Cool truck!

Is it yours?

Got any info on the motor, like displacement and fuel it runs on?
Old 10-04-2006 | 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

It isn't random people on forums claiming OHC's are more expensive, I'm finding this on sites with pure information on the various differences between OHC and OHV.

The only disadvantages they give for OHC's are more moving parts and more expensive. I don't see why that is so hard to believe - take a 4 valve/cylinder DOHC compared to a 2 valve OHV. Is it going to be cheaper to make 4 valve cylinders with more lobes that need to be actuated or a simple 2 valve design? And I don't need to give you scientific proof as to why 4 cams (and all of the parts each entail) are more expensive and will take up more space than 1 cam.

But I agree that if cost is no object, DOHC is king. That's why F1 cars use them. They can rev them to the moon and have more valves for breathing, yielding a lot of power with minimal displacement. Oh, I also had found exactly why DOHC's can be spung higher than OHV's, but I'll have to find it again when I get home.
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well Lotus Engineering does

Lotus did most of the earlier work on the LT5. There was also an American company involved that took the lead later in the production cycle. Lt5 was an awsome engine, but remember it's nearly 20 years old. And at that time the direct alternative OHV was heavy and massivly underpowered by comparison. Times have chanegd though.
GM bought Lotus in 1986 -- before the ZR1 was planned....Lutus = GM GM North America actually had a good deal of influence also. Every month during development, there was a meeting with GMNA/Lotus/Mercruiser to hash out design details. The fact that the motor could hold the endurance record for over 10 yrs only to be dethroned by a non-production prototype is a testament to how great it was.

That I highly doubt, not a FULL legal productoin engine. Remember production engines have to meet much stricter regulations than we you for an annual inspection. Plus driveability and durability would be issues also. Again look at what the current LSx engines are like. 100bhp/litre is pretty much unheard of from a street going setup. And that means no cats, very noisey exhaust a cam which doesn't stand a chance of passing emissions and expensive ported big valve heads. Plus on these setups the motors are usually pretty usless in the low rpms. And have much increased wear on the valve train.
Seeing as we only have a few of the 800hp+ engines from TVR -- it is hard to say how durable or drivable they actually are. Would one last 50k, 100k or 150k miles with just basic maintenance -- I seriously doubt it.
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:29 PM
On The Tree

But I agree that if cost is no object, DOHC is king. That's why F1 cars use them. They can rev them to the moon and have more valves for breathing, yielding a lot of power with minimal displacement. Oh, I also had found exactly why DOHC's can be spung higher than OHV's, but I'll have to find it again when I get home.
OHC engines may make peak power but f1 cars only weigh around 1500 pounds and they idle at around 4000 rpm. Try putting that in a street car. I dought the engine would even have the torque to move the car. Horse power is the measure of the amount of work an engine can perform. therefore horsepower is directly related to rpm's to the point of which the engine becomes inefficeint due to mechanical limitations (ussually thte heads or valve train). Torque is the actual twisting force of the engines crank shaft. f1 cars have great heads and valvetrain but lack torque very much so. So you should really rethink the idea of DOHC being king. Maybe king of the road corse. But for sure not king of any drag strip. I see no DOHC on the topfuel funny cars or dragsters. I don't see too many of them even setting world speed records. So they're king? Not really. When you get down to it both setups have pros and cons like anything and you have to decide which one suits your aplication best. Just because DOHC works great in a 1500 pounds f1 car that'll never have to sit in traffic at a stop light and only has to accelerate a few times in a race doesn't mean it is the hot ticket for everyone.
Old 10-04-2006 | 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

But you are just using bad numbers. Yes a S2000 is not the answer, its just an example of possibility. Also you're pricing is well wrong. The £ is strong against the $. So you claim the TVR Sagaris cost over $90k, were as in fact its the same preice as a Z06 over here (~£65,000). So for comparisons sake you need to also say a Z06 is $93k.
Yes, you are correct because very few Corvettes are actually imported to the UK and the import tax is very steep. Regardless, the Z06 out performs the Sagaris handily regardless of engine design. I pointed out price to show what American consumers would be paying for a car like that -- I imagine well over 100k (if imported here). When you buy an American car in the UK, you are still getting a car that is made around the American price point. In the case of a Z06, it is a car built for $65,000 or £35000. Another example is the Mustang -- the base price is ~£300 less than the cheapest Vauxhall Astra (a 4cyl econo car similar to the base Saturn Ion ) in the UK.

If us people living in the US had to pay the same import tax and VAT -- a $93,000 Sagaris would cost us $110,000 --That is $17,000 flushed down the drain. Even with the extreme tax on the Z06, it still smokes the Sagaris for a little more money.

But again, just because there is an abscence of DOHC V8's doesn't mean they are bad. Take the S2000 again. Honda could quite easily turn it into a V8. And probably maintain the same specifict output. So you'd have a 4.0 V8 with 480bhp STOCK.

However Honda have no need to do this! V8's are pretty much an American market only engine. Japan they just would not sell or be suitable and the same goes for Europe. This is why you don't see these engines, there is really no real call for them.
I don't think they're bad. It has yet to be seen if Honda can just double the displacement and double the power at the same time. The biggest question is can they do it and compete price wise with OHV alternatives, namely the Viper and Corvette. So far the most HP we have received from Honda was the NSX (I believe) -- $95,000 290hp 3.2L...performance similar to a '96 C4. Currently, the 290hp 3.5L is the HP king.

Last edited by mattkimsey; 10-05-2006 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2006 | 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Last quote

Ok, this is where the country you live in dictates the answers.

$80,000 is about £42,500 at present.

In the UK a Ford Focus coast about £12-14, C6 Vette £45k and a Viper £80k+

So choices would be limited.

Know if you want to talk direct alternative and we assume that 80k is £80,000 then yes you could buy a Z06 or a Viper.

But there are a lot of other cars in this price range:

-BMW M6
-Porsche 911
-Any TVR
-Marcos
-Mercedes
-Jaguar
-Noble
-Caterham
-Radical
-Ariel

and many more.

Now drag racing doesn't exist in the UK really. And racing on a circuit isn't everyday normality either. So many of these cars are certainly comparable, even to the Z06 in terms of outright pace on a public road. Several infact would be much faster.
Can you give the price of the cars that will outperform the Z06 in both £ and $ amounts? Please exclude things like Catherham, Radical, or Ariel as they are more purpose built for racing. From what I've seen, UK buyers are paying ~58,000 GBP for a Z06 On-The-Road and ~33,000 GBP for a regular C6.

In comparison, something like a Noble M15 cost £75000 and ran a tenth slower around Top Gears track. That is $32,000 extra to match the handicapped Z06 with about $30,000 in taxes added to it. A 911 Turbo is £96000+, M6 is £82000, Marcos with performance pack is £58000 (462hp LSx pushrod engine )

But the price of the Vette and the Viper are shown up in terms of refinement and quality of components. They are plasticky inside. So you pays your money and you takes your choice.
The Corvette and Viper have plenty of refinement and quality for their price/performance combination. In comparison to something like a TVR I'd say they are leagues ahead in quality and reliability. If you want more, you'll have to step up about $70,000 and get a Porsche -- but hey, even they aren't perfect(and the 911 TT is outperformed).

Last edited by mattkimsey; 10-05-2006 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2006 | 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Cool truck!

Is it yours?

Got any info on the motor, like displacement and fuel it runs on?
The truck belongs to a customer.
It used to be his high school truck and was 2 wheel drive and lowered.
It has since morphed into the monster you see it as now.
The engine is a merlin alum tall deck, with dart big chief heads, Lunati crank, oliver rods ect ect ect.... it is just shy of 600 inches.... you can se more photos of it at www.offroadfabrication.com
The engine just makes STUPID power

I work with Darren @ fulcrum fabrications and he built most of the truck before I started working with him.... I did the front engine cage from the a pillar downtubes forwards, as well as bunch of other things =)
Old 10-05-2006 | 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K Z28
So you should really rethink the idea of DOHC being king. Maybe king of the road corse. But for sure not king of any drag strip. I see no DOHC on the topfuel funny cars or dragsters. I don't see too many of them even setting world speed records.
I hear what you say, but I can't help feeling its a rather naive viewpoint.

1. If you wanted to use a DOHC large displacement V8 for Top Fuel use, which engine would you use?

Well you see there aren't any in production. So that's the real reason behind it. Lack of availability not lack of ability.

2. Where is top fuel drag raving most common?

America, and what engines are plentiful and affordable in the USA? Yes large displacement OHV engines.

Not too sure where the world speed record comes from? I mean piston engines haven't been used for such attemps in decades. Jet and Rocket powered vehicles like the Thrust SSC are the current record holders.

But that aside, again where does this high speed attempts take place? America (Bonoville) so what large displacement engines are readily avialable at affordable prices? Yes OHV. And if you wanted to use a large displacement OHC which one would you choose?
Old 10-05-2006 | 04:35 AM
TECH Addict

It isn't random people on forums claiming OHC's are more expensive, I'm finding this on sites with pure information on the various differences between OHC and OHV.
I'm still not convinced. I've read a lot of these articles and non ever talk figures or have any references. It's like the EGR myth, do a search on Google and you'll find plenty of info out about how harmful it is to HP. This is all bollox, but to find the truth you have to dig deeper.

REMEMBER - I'm not claiming either way. I merly seek proof rather than non-fact based opinions.

The only disadvantages they give for OHC's are more moving parts and more expensive. I don't see why that is so hard to believe - take a 4 valve/cylinder DOHC compared to a 2 valve OHV.
But not all OHC's have 4 cams. I still think its pretty even.

SOHC - 2 cams, 2 sprokets & timing chain
OHV - 1 cam, followers, lifters, push rods, 1 sproket & timing chain

A DOHC only requires a few more components. A cam is not expensive to make, sure we may pay a lot for aftermarket ones, but that's due to R7D as much as anything.
Old 10-05-2006 | 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
GM bought Lotus in 1986 -- before the ZR1 was planned....Lutus = GM
Well did GM own 100% of Lotus? I’m not sure they did, as part of the company is still privately owned today. The rest being Proton. But regardless, Lotus Engineering is/was a British company based in Britain.

GM North America actually had a good deal of influence also. Every month during development, there was a meeting with GMNA/Lotus/Mercruiser to hash out design details. The fact that the motor could hold the endurance record for over 10 yrs only to be dethroned by a non-production prototype is a testament to how great it was.
Personally I think the LT5 is fab engine. And after a little research it appears that it actually weighed pretty much the same as the LT1.

Seeing as we only have a few of the 800hp+ engines from TVR -- it is hard to say how durable or drivable they actually are. Would one last 50k, 100k or 150k miles with just basic maintenance -- I seriously doubt it.
No I agree, we don’t know what they would be like long term. But looking at the only available data we have from smaller displacement engines producing high specific outputs then one could surmise that reliability should be very good. Although any issues would likely be due to other design flaws and not directly related to the basic valve train setup.

2.0 Honda VTEC engines have proven to be very reliable.

But realistically, if GM sold the Ls1 with a huge cam and all the trimmings making 450-480rwhp would it still be reliable for 100k with services every 20k or so?

Yes, you are correct because very few Corvettes are actually imported to the UK and the import tax is very steep.
Sadly comparing costs is not really possible. The easiest way I’ve found is assume $ = £ so if someone in the US earns $35,000 a year then in the UK for the same job they would earn £35,000 and vice versa.

Another example is the Mustang -- the base price is ~£300 less than the cheapest Vauxhall Astra (a 4cyl econo car similar to the base Saturn Ion ) in the UK.
I hear what you say, although a Mustang is actually about £23-26k here. So the same numbers as in the US just a different currency. It all goes back to not really being able to compare prices trans-Atlantically.

I don't think they're bad. It has yet to be seen if Honda can just double the displacement and double the power at the same time.
I don’t think it’s a question on whether it’s physically possible or not, such tasks have been undertaken in the past. Radical make their own V8 based out of 4 motorcycle engines. And for the state of tune it pretty much retains the same specific output.

The biggest question is can they do it and compete price wise with OHV alternatives, namely the Viper and Corvette. So far the most HP we have received from Honda was the NSX (I believe) -- $95,000 290hp 3.2L...performance similar to a '96 C4. Currently, the 290hp 3.5L is the HP king.
On price I have no idea. But performance wise it’s hard to compare the NSX. Remember when it was launched in the early 90’s it had more power than a Corvette (TPI was it, 250bhp?) and was well on par with Porsche and Ferrari.

Also Japanese BHP numbers are mis-leading as for a long time legally they where not allowed to claim anything above 280bhp, regardless of the actual figure. The last of the NSX’s must have had a lot more power. Autocar Magazine clocked one 0-100mph in 10.6 seconds, they are also capable of running low 13’s @ 108mph. Very comparable to a manual Corvette C5.

Can you give the price of the cars that will outperform the Z06 in both £ and $ amounts? Please exclude things like Catherham, Radical, or Ariel as they are more purpose built for racing.
For £ or $ per HP you CAN NOT beat American muscle. Hence I drive one

But in the UK cars such as Caterham’s are comparable to the Z06. The Z06 is designed to be extreme and track able. So for many it would be a weekend toy or a plaything. Caterham’s would fall into this category quite nicely. And believe it or not some people do DD them all year round.

Prices vary quite a bit. But for £35,000-£40,000 you could have a new car capable of beating a Z06. Maybe not in at the ¼ mile although it would be close. But certainly on the road and a circuit.

From what I've seen, UK buyers are paying ~58,000 GBP for a Z06 On-The-Road and ~33,000 GBP for a regular C6.
I think a C6 will setup you back about £45,000 not £33,000 in the UK.

In comparison, something like a Noble M15 cost £75000 and ran a tenth slower around Top Gears track. That is $32,000 extra to match the handicapped Z06 with about $30,000 in taxes added to it. A 911 Turbo is £96000+, M6 is £82000, Marcos with performance pack is £58000 (462hp LSx pushrod engine )
I agree FULLY.

Generally exotica cost more money over here. The Noble is getting more expensive all the time, but then it is hand built and very exclusive. Price does not fully reflect performance, and there’s also the thing called FUN.

The Corvette and Viper have plenty of refinement and quality for their price/performance combination. In comparison to something like a TVR I'd say they are leagues ahead in quality and reliability. If you want more, you'll have to step up about $70,000 and get a Porsche -- but hey, even they aren't perfect(and the 911 TT is outperformed).
That was my point, not everyone wants outright performance.
Old 10-05-2006 | 05:17 AM
12 Second Club

At the end of the day, I'm not claiming OHV is rubbish. Because I genuinlly like OHV's and have a personal preference for them. However as an ultimate performance engine DOHC is in concept technically and ultimatley superior.
We've been over this. No, they're not. Not even when money is no object. They have advantages and disadvantages. That's it. They're superior only if you're racing in a displacement-limited class. Or your idea of superiority is less NVH.

OHV engines are, all other things being equal, smaller, lighter, and less expensive.
Old 10-05-2006 | 05:23 AM
12 Second Club

However this is usally dimissed as "ricer bs". It however isn't!
Yes and no.

What is dismissed, rightly, as "ricer bs" is the idea that a HP/L is a meaningful measure of an engine. In fact, an engine could have less HP/L and yet be smaller, lighter, cheaper, and make more power. It could be in every meaningful way better and still lose in a contest of HP/L. (This is no abstract "well it could be" discussion, either. There are actual engines out there that fit that scenario)

Nobody dismisses that OHC can make more power per liter. What is dismissed is the idea that that statement is in any way meaningful outside of displacement-limited racing classes.

In other words, specific output is not a useful, meaningful, or intelligent way to compare engines. Anyone who does so, outside of a very limited context, is revealing their ignorance.

Thus, "Ricer Math."

Quick Reply: solve a debate, 1000 hp.....