General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

train wrecked full of gto's

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1obsession
Carfax won't find anything unless there is a record of it. I'm pretty sure there will only be a record if a claim was filed with the insurance company or something was recorded by the dealer, i.e. maintenance.
True, Only if a car was paid off by an insurance company or if a major accident was turned into the insurance company will carfax have a record of it. Even that is iffy. My wife got hit in a parking lot and the car had 5k worth of damage and it showed clean in Carfax. If you smash up your car and pay to get it fixed Carfax won't know **** about it.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g-ryde1
know how you feel my car had been rearended like a bitch and no record of it.
Carfax will only have a record if the incident was reported to either the insurance company or the police. If no police report was filed and the owner didn't make an insurance claim, then there will be no record. Its unlikely that a totalled car would not have a police report filed though, and trying to fix one without insurance would be extremely expensive and probably not worth it.

So if the carfax comes up clean, theres still a chance that it was in a minor to moderate accident, but its less likely.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

not sure what its like around there but here if a train wrecks the goods can not be sold to anyone , they usually destroy all items that were on the train[liability purposes]
Old 10-01-2006, 08:15 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

THAT SUX
Old 10-01-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I work for the railroad. THe guy that posted above is right. If there is any damage they destroy the cars. Usually at big derailments they will dig a hole and bury them in the ground. At auto facilities where they load them into railcars they have to be extremely careful. If one of the tires pops off the little spots the wheels are spotted in they consider them totaled. Where to get these cars for cheap...im not sure but I think they are destroyed as well
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badass02WS6
not sure what its like around there but here if a train wrecks the goods can not be sold to anyone , they usually destroy all items that were on the train[liability purposes]
The responsible railroad buys them and crushes them. They are then sold as scrap iron.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

That doesn't make any sense that they'd crush them. Wouldn't the shipper's insurance company declare them a loss and sell them with a salvage title or something?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

what about scrap aluminium!?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gtowned!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What a terrible waste
Old 10-01-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
The responsible railroad buys them and crushes them. They are then sold as scrap iron.

Nobody would never be dumb enough to do that. They are still worth plenty of money. Most of the time they be sold at salvage auctions(dealers only) and end up in used car lots. I got to dealer auctions and I see new cars everyonce in a while. Sometimes they have a caved roof from or extensive hail damage. I have seen a couple of wrecked new cars as well.

The weirdest thing I have ever seen was a performance crate motor that literaly feel of the back of the truck. It was not a pretty sight. I dont kow what it was because I'm no expert in the matter but it was a very nice one with aluminum heads and nice oil pan.

I would not be surprised if everyone of them were on the road today.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfman
Nobody would never be dumb enough to do that. They are still worth plenty of money. Most of the time they be sold at salvage auctions(dealers only) and end up in used car lots. I got to dealer auctions and I see new cars everyonce in a while. Sometimes they have a caved roof from or extensive hail damage. I have seen a couple of wrecked new cars as well.
How much do these cars typically go for? (Broad question I know.)

The weirdest thing I have ever seen was a performance crate motor that literaly fell off the back of the truck. It was not a pretty sight. I dont know what it was because I'm no expert in the matter but it was a very nice one with aluminum heads and nice oil pan.
Ha, that's hilarious. I guess the internals were still ok?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
How much do these cars typically go for? (Broad question I know.)

Hard to say, depends on the mood of the people there(that's about 100 bidders) But it's not dirt cheap. Nothing goes for dirt cheap. A lot of people assume that salvage auctions are full of bargains but it's not the case. A fixable gto will still fetch $7-12k.

Most of the cars I buy are really nasty. The best deal I ever got was a lancer EVO for $4400 it had hit and wrapped a pole in the driver side.

I bought this 98 camaro for $2800 i was pleased witht the price and was willing to keep going to about $3300.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=organ+donor

That's the kind of deals you can expect to get as a dealer. Not bad deals but theres always risk involved. If that motor had been cracked from the wreck I'd have been SOL. AND THAT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.

BTW: all of the new cars that went thru Katrina were and are still being sold at auctions like these. A lot of them will get fixed and sold again. I see thousands and thousands of them sell thru copart. I never bought one because I dont mess with flood cars. But some people do.

Ha, that's hilarious. I guess the internals were still ok?
I dont know... it went for about $300. It looked pretty bad and had been left out in the rain for a month or so.. I didnt even consider it. Maybe now I would know how much some of that stuff is worth.

Last edited by jfman; 10-02-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:04 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Hard to say, depends on the mood of the people there(that's about 100 bidders) But it's not dirt cheap. Nothing goes for dirt cheap. A lot of people assume that salvage auctions are full of bargains but it's not the case. A fixable gto will still fetch $7-12k.

Most of the cars I buy are really nasty. The best deal I ever got was a lancer EVO for $4400 it had hit and wrapped a pole in the driver side.

I bought this camaro for $2800

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=organ+donor

That's the kind of deals you can expect to get as a dealer. Not bad deals but theres always risk involved. If that motor had been cracked from the wreck I'd have been SOL. AND THAT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.
I knew nothing went for super cheap, my friend used to work auctions and resell cars. Got my first car from him and he sold it to me for what he bought it for (hell of a good deal).

So what do you expect those GTOs would go for. I know it's hard to tell the damage from two pics, but? Is there any way around the salvage title? Especially if it was something like extremely minor damage. Some of those GTOs look barely touched.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew nothing went for super cheap, my friend used to work auctions and resell cars. Got my first car from him and he sold it to me for what he bought it for (hell of a good deal).

So what do you expect those GTOs would go for. I know it's hard to tell the damage from two pics, but? Is there any way around the salvage title? Especially if it was something like extremely minor damage. Some of those GTOs look barely touched.
yeah you can get salavaged cars inspected and get a rebuilt title and drive it. Check the laws with your state as everyt state is different.

Let me find some goats in the system and tell you how much they are at now(I cant find out the final price unless I watch them sell the minute they sell but I can find out how much they are going now... sorta like ebay but once the car is sold, it disapears from the database)

Like this now going for $3300(it will come way up believe me)
Attached Thumbnails train wrecked full of gto's-09984736_4x.jpg  

Last edited by jfman; 10-02-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's the kind of cars I would buy

This will prolly go between $3k and $5k

NOTE: PLEASE PPL dont pm me and ask me to "hook you up" I cant do it, it's not my company and I consider myself very lucky to be able to get in there when I need something but I cant start doing it for other people.
Attached Thumbnails train wrecked full of gto's-09982586_1x.jpg  
Old 10-02-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badass02WS6
I can attest to that. I have watched with much sadness as brand new cars with seemingly little damage were run thru a shredder. Dude that brought them in filmed the carnage as proof for the insurance company.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Teching In

That sux, if I was there and they were all gonna be destroyed I would have to drag me one out of there and take the ls2 out of it.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would have fled the scene in my new gto..
Old 10-02-2006, 01:13 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 00SS!
I can attest to that. I have watched with much sadness as brand new cars with seemingly little damage were run thru a shredder. Dude that brought them in filmed the carnage as proof for the insurance company.
Originally Posted by 99_C5_99
That sux, if I was there and they were all gonna be destroyed I would have to drag me one out of there and take the ls2 out of it.
Yeah me too. If they had to film it I would make that thing look just like it was a whole car from the outside, but rip everything out of it. Hell if you had to take the 243 castings and change the heads to some blown crappy ones, replace the trans with a broken one or just take it out, pull the shortblock and put in a bare cracked block. I know it would be a lot of work and probably hard to pull off, but just think about the fact that you are getting super low mileage, if not brand new parts for almost no cost what so ever would be worth the cost. Even if you couldn't use the parts yourself think of the profit you could make just selling the parts and buying cracked blocks or blown heads to put in the crusher cars.

Quick Reply: train wrecked full of gto's