General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

how much would u charge.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much would u charge.

i know a few people with f-bodies that want to make there cars a little faster but don't really want to spend much money and are not mechanicly inclined. i am going to do all the free mods on there cars, like free ram air, throttle body bump stop., coolant by-pass, port throttle body and for those who want it descreen and poet maf. thats all i can think of from the top of my head.
so how much would be a good price for these mods?

also from experience did you guys fell a difference? when i did these things on my car i felt a difference in throttle responce and i could hear the stock lid suck air up after the free ram air.

Thanks
Eric
Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I guess that depends on how good of friends they are, if they were my friends I wouldnt charge them anything... just get them to maybe grab some beer & burgers or something..
Old 10-03-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly....besides the porting of the throttle body, that other stuff doesnt do a damn thing really....dont port there mafs....take your time on there port jobs...honestly id charge them about 100 bucks....the bump stop mod, coolant bypass, and porting can all be done when you pull the TB....the free ram air just gets the filter dirty as hell...those three things are all i would do
Old 10-03-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MasterZ
I guess that depends on how good of friends they are, if they were my friends I wouldnt charge them anything... just get them to maybe grab some beer & burgers or something..
also a good point.....i still charge my friends for dremel bits and a "couple" of dinners for porting....usually a 65$ job
Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00formLs1
i know a few people with f-bodies that want to make there cars a little faster but don't really want to spend much money and are not mechanicly inclined. i am going to do all the free mods on there cars, like free ram air, throttle body bump stop., coolant by-pass, port throttle body and for those who want it descreen and poet maf. thats all i can think of from the top of my head.
so how much would be a good price for these mods?

also from experience did you guys fell a difference? when i did these things on my car i felt a difference in throttle responce and i could hear the stock lid suck air up after the free ram air.

Thanks
Eric

If someone did all that for me and charged, It would be business and it would be dropped after that.

If someone said "man, lets hang out and I can help you with some stuff you have questions about on your car and afterwards if you like it, hit me back with some Burgerking* "

and then they showed me how to DO IT MYSELF and helped if I did not feel comfortable doing something by myself, then took them to supper, that would be the beginning of meeting other cool people and both of us would have made friends that day. Let me put it another way for you. I talk to everyone I meet who is sociable. Over time I have rubbed shoulders with lawyers, doctors, supreme court justices, mayors, police officers, ect. a LOT! of dealership managers and high-ups. Right now if I wanted to I could get any car I want at wholesale + $300 from a dealer auction.

Basically, a half a day of dicking around with a car that we all love and shooting the **** can be worth a HELL! OF A LOT! more than what you could charge someone and still sleep at night.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

thanks i was thinking around 50.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Dpends really. Word of warning, only the ported TB will really make any real difference. And if you start messing with the MAF and some of the other components you may end up buggering something up.

So be prepared to havin to pay to right any wrongs you make.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:14 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Free mods = Free work
Old 10-04-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't screw with the MAF sensor.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Friends charge beer and pizza, because some day down the road your going to need them to help you and you don't want to have to pay them, other than the beer and pizza. People that arn't your friends..... $50-60 for the above mentioned mods.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah man, id say some pizza and a 24 pk. thats assuming you have all the materials to do the porting. id say make them buy thier own bits, but do all the labor for free. and i second the notion to show them how to do it. teach the guys, so that some day they maybe able to help out someone else. and definatly let them know about possible troubles with descreaning the maf. im not saying your going to screw up, but **** happens.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

i agree friends i'll do it for free, someone i don't know very well prob 50 bucks.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with stanger on this one. Even if you don't know the guys very well, just helping them out for free, showing them how to do, and hanging out with them in the proccess is a really good way to make friends and connections for things down the road. When they ask me what I want for pay I would just say, how about just buy me dinner and we'll call it even. I guarantee you'll get a lot of respect for being willing to help people out that way.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, its always good to help out when you can w./o. being a cocky "know it all"(they know who they are).You might need a favor in return some day.$.02
Old 10-04-2006, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
If someone did all that for me and charged, It would be business and it would be dropped after that.

If someone said "man, lets hang out and I can help you with some stuff you have questions about on your car and afterwards if you like it, hit me back with some Burgerking* "

and then they showed me how to DO IT MYSELF and helped if I did not feel comfortable doing something by myself, then took them to supper, that would be the beginning of meeting other cool people and both of us would have made friends that day. Let me put it another way for you. I talk to everyone I meet who is sociable. Over time I have rubbed shoulders with lawyers, doctors, supreme court justices, mayors, police officers, ect. a LOT! of dealership managers and high-ups. Right now if I wanted to I could get any car I want at wholesale + $300 from a dealer auction.

Basically, a half a day of dicking around with a car that we all love and shooting the **** can be worth a HELL! OF A LOT! more than what you could charge someone and still sleep at night.
Very well put! I got my TA that way, paid $6200 in 03' for it.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Launching!

I had this guy do a cut-out by my air box somewhere. Didnt charge me, didnt want my money. I dont remember who this guy is or where I can find him but I will NEVER forget about him (not being fruity) and in turn always tend to pass the buck on favors for others that I dont know. Just to shows, when you dont charge people, it's cause your paying for already got payment from somebody at sometime at some point has done something for you.