General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: So..what would you do?
Buy a bike
0%
Build up the car
66.67%
Something else...please explain in a post
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Need opinions...What would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions...What would you do??

Whats up guys, i cant make up my mind, so i thought i would get some imput from others.
Well i recently got a promotion at work, and am looking to take out a loan for $5-6K. this is what i cant decideon, buy a bike or build my car up.
Bike-
Looking at spending around 5-6k on a bike, most likely a 600cc since it will be my first bike.
Pros-its a bike, its fun, girls love them, and its fast
Cons-dont have all THAT much experience(affraid i could get very hurt), its coming up on winter, very dangerous, lots of stupid drivers in my area

Build my car
I already have the current mods in my sig but im looking for more HP
1. My friend has his 12-bolt he will sell me for $2k (everything included)w/ 4.10 gears-$2000
2. New clutch-looking at the Spec 3+, new slave cyl., and possibly new flywheel- $1000
3. Cam- looking at going with a cam kit from thunder racing- the TR227/224 114 lsa is what im thinking about-$600
4. a good tune - $4-500
5. buying a beater car for when the camaro is being worked on, and to use as a commuter to save on gas $$, not to mention to use in rain/snow.--$1000-1500.
Now a thats a total of about $5-6k as well

So if you were me what would you do???? i think id be very happy either way, i just cant decide what to do.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't take out a $5k-$6k loan just to put parts on you really don't need. Wait a couple months at your new job position and save up money. Then modify your car once you have the money.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
I wouldn't take out a $5k-$6k loan just to put parts on you really don't need. Wait a couple months at your new job position and save up money. Then modify your car once you have the money.
Normally I would agree, but using credit in his situation may not be such a bad idea as it will smoothen out his expenses. If he is expecting a higher income tomorrow it is okay to indulge today, as long as its with moderation. Alot of people seem to think credit is bad but it does aid in the flow of things. I'm not in huge debt at all, my car is paid for and the only thing I owe is a student loan and the money on my CC for this month that I will be paying off as soon as I get the bill.
As far as his question, if its a choice between the bike and modding, mod it. I just sold my 03 GSXR 600 after having it only 6 mo., the possible injury and heartache it could cause, not to mention money to get me fixed up, far out weighs the fun it was and the saved gas money. If you ride somewhere and stay too late it can be a cold ride home, riding in the wind is no fun, and keeping speed constant in the wind is worse. People don't look out for riders, 70% of the accidents you see involving bikes are not the riders fault. I'd mod it and buy a beater, thats the path I have taken after having a bike. Just my .02.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ thats what im leaning towards. getting on a bike in my area(tons of stupid and very young drivers) is what scares the hell out of me. there are almost NO roads with minimal traffic, so i would be mainly driving in highly populated areas. thats mainly the one thing holding me back from buying a bike.
And responding to what heapashifter said, the reason i want to take out the loan instead of save is that i want to be working on the car during the winter, so it will be ready early for next season. and i will have a better car(beater) the driving in the snow.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

The beater is a must in our area whether you get the bike or mod your car.
I would choose to mod the car vs. getting the bike because it's really hard to find the time to go riding on the bike and get good use out of your car.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?