General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Are Cams a "bolt-on"?
yes
0.50%
no
4.31%
Did unit mess with the poll results?
63.21%
Yes, your poll is fun to fuck w/
31.97%
Voters: 3175. You may not vote on this poll

Are cams "bolt-ons"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Procharger on an LS1 is real easy to install. I'm going to get one and call it a bolt on.

Bolt ons are not all about ease of install. A cam is not a bolt on. Period.
s/c depend on the amount of stuff needed for install.

Some s/c setups are bolt-on. But other aren't becuause of the need to upgrade fuel injectors, tune, intercooler, relocation of accessories, etc.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

boltons are what they sound like!!!! Now if there was something called boltin's then you might have something
Old 10-22-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

A cam is definately NOT a bolton. You cant bolt it to anything
Old 10-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
boltons are what they sound like!!!! Now if there was something called boltin's then you might have something
Heads bolt on. So does a turbo kit, a blower, and nitrous. Therefore,
they are bolt ons.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:33 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't know some people had such wild ideas about what a bolt-on is... or is not.

The way I was raised learning how to modify cars was that basically if the part touches engine oil, it's internal and is NOT a "bolt-on". There are a few additional parameters, but that one sums it up fairly well. Other parameters considered to be conventional wisdom is that not only is a "bolt-on" mod external, but also that it is something fairly simple, not involving a big install project.

Things like ignition systems, cold air kits, IAT relocators, throttle bodies, underdrive pullies, cat-backs, even headers. Poly mounts, simple suspension swaps like LCA's or panhard bars, torque arms, etc.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smoop1
hmm... why is it that OHC folks always seem to lump cams in with bolt-ons?
It is for OHC people. Seriously. You basicly do half a T-Belt job and remove the valve cover and your there. Cams. Bolted onto the head. I guess technically you could say that thats internal, but its very very easy acess. Its like saying an oil dipstick is internal. I's say cams on a 4G63 is about as involved as an LS6 intake on a 98 or something.

Now on the cars we care about here, it is not. You have to do a pretty involved procedure since the cam is in the block.

So basicly. In an OHC car it is. In an OHV car it is not. For the sake of simplicity, we generally refer to them as not being a bolt on though.

I still voted yes just to mess with people LOL.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Holy **** this thread is still goin?

Is it really that big of a debate? I thought everyone knew what a "bolt-on" was. I also thought everyone, even a complete noob, knew that a cam is NOT a bolt-on. It really isn't that hard to understand.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

lol hell no
Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
You need to pull the balancer to do underdrive pullies on an LS1, thats more involved than a valve cover imho. I dont see your point. You also must pull the springs out from under the car to change shocks, I consider shocks a bolt-on. On a mustang GT 4.6L you must un-bolt a motor-mount and jack the motor up to install LT's, going price for labor alone is $500+ at Dallas Mustang for that. I think that a cam-swap in a DSM is a bolt-on. Thats like saying you have to remove your lid to change the air filter so its not a bolt-on. Valve covers arent hard to pull...
who bolts their air filter down?
bolt on's bolt to the engine. internals go inside the engine.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 10-26-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpat1023
Holy **** this thread is still goin?

Is it really that big of a debate? I thought everyone knew what a "bolt-on" was. I also thought everyone, even a complete noob, knew that a cam is NOT a bolt-on. It really isn't that hard to understand.
If you would have read then you would know the deal.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I read and I still don't know the deal! A cam isn't a bolt-on. I don't know what else there is to it.....
Old 10-26-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

well, do you bolt it on? no? ok then.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

if it doesnt touch oil, its a bolt on IMO
Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
If you would have read then you would know the deal.
hahaha...I did read. And you want to know what I found out?? A cam is still not a bolt-on. A bolt-on is something bolted on to the external part of the engine. A cam is INTERNAL ENGINE WORK! How many times does that have to be posted?
Difficulty level does not matter. Time consumption does not matter. All that matters is the application to the engine. And since a cam is INTERNAL ENGINE WORK!, it is not a bolt-on.

And to address the smartasses that say (in a retarded voice), "so a supercharger is a bolton?" NO. A supercharger is a power adder. Bolt-Ons take advantage of power that your engine already possesses, it just hasn't released yet. Power adders, such as N2O, supercharger, turbocharger, etc., are not bolt-ons, even though they 'bolt on' along with many other modifications done to the engine to run the power adder.

Now, if there is some other 'deal' that I did not address, please let me know, otherwise, have a nice day.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine Performance, Bolt-on wise (Note, this is a from a LS1/6 modding perspective): Something that replaces a stock component on the exterior of the engine and "frees" up horsepower and/or allows the engine to receive more air. Includes exhaust and intake components. (i.e: air lid/CAI (yes, it uses screws instead of bolts), throttle body (either modified from stock or replaced), intake manifold, pullies, exhaust manifolds/headers, header/manifold back or cat back, etc..)

Argumentative: electric water pump, MAF (either modified from stock or replaced)

Does not include: Forced induction, Nitrous Oxide, or anything that is used to correct a factory flaw and/or does not free horsepower (noticable, not .5hp). (i.e: catch can, throttle body bypass, smooth bellows, exhaust clamps, air filter, free ram air, thermostat, etc..)

Engine Performance, Internal wise (Note, this is a from a LS1 modding perspective): Something that replaces a stock component that "increases" horsepower or strengthens the engine internally. Includes increasing stroke/bore. (i.e: valve springs, lifters, pushrods, cam, heads, rocker arms, forged pistons/rods/crank, rod bolts, etc..)

-Replacing the engine for an aftermarket engine with increased stroke/bore or forged internals is an internal modification (You are just lazy).
Old 10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

^^That's what I said, except you made your post prettier...with a touch of detail
Old 10-26-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpat1023
hahaha...I did read. And you want to know what I found out?? A cam is still not a bolt-on. A bolt-on is something bolted on to the external part of the engine. A cam is INTERNAL ENGINE WORK! How many times does that have to be posted?
Difficulty level does not matter. Time consumption does not matter. All that matters is the application to the engine. And since a cam is INTERNAL ENGINE WORK!, it is not a bolt-on.

Now, if there is some other 'deal' that I did not address, please let me know, otherwise, have a nice day.
Just so you know. I don't think a cam is a bolt-on.

But I know of 3 people who do. Of course they think that they are master mechanics as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am so confused as to the meaning of this thread now...I thought you were implying you thought it was a bolt-on.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lucas'02SS
I am so confused as to the meaning of this thread now...I thought you were implying you thought it was a bolt-on.
Well those people said that there are alot of people who think they are bolt-ons.

I was trying to prove them wrong. I kinda did.