General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

When did GMC start putting the Aluminum 5.3 in the Envoy XL Denali??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 05:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool When did GMC start putting the Aluminum 5.3 in the Envoy XL Denali??

I had my mom pick one of these up yesterday morning and looked under the hood and saw a 5.3.... yeah
Knew it had DOD (active fuel management now)... yeah
Had no idea that it was an aluminum block until I went to GMC's web page and looked at the engine options for the Envoy Denali.... Oh hell yeah.

Now all I need is a dual pattern bump stick and a set of headers... oh wait a minute I had her get the extended warranty.... no bump stick for at least 80,000 miles.

Man I can't believe they finally did this. A decent motor, that will get good gas mileage, in the midsize suv (mid size my azz it barely fits in the garage).

Anyone know which RPO code this motor has, LH4 maybe?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

The Envoy Denali just started in 2006.

The DOD 5.3 was introduced in the now discontinued Envoy XUV which was in 04 or 05.

There was an aluminum 5.3 (non DOD) in the 04 Chevy SSR.

note: The years may not all be precise. This is all off the top of my head.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Did a little looking and digging.
The Aluminum Block 5.3 with DOD started in 06 (hmm first year hope it doesn't break).
It is the default motor on the Envoy XL Denali (2wd or Awd).

Does not have VVT, it's a shame as I would like to see this motor's abilities with a wider torque range.

I would have rather had a LS2 or L76 (or better a L92), but I guess that would put the Envoy XL Denali into the Trail Blazer SS range (GMC really needs a play toy truck with all the goodies).

Then again if it had a L92 I'ld probably transplant the motor into my goat and put the DOD stuff into the LS2 and drop it in the Denali (keeping the VVT on the L92 and doing some major tweaking).

Quick Reply: When did GMC start putting the Aluminum 5.3 in the Envoy XL Denali??