General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Time to warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time to warm up?

So now we're getting into the cold weather and there is frost on my car in the morning when I leave for work. Since I didn't have an ice scraper the past few days, I had to let my car warm up for like 7-10 minutes before the air it was blowing wasn't cold anymore. I know this is not normal. Today I just sprayed some washer fluid on the windshield and got most of the ice off that way just so I could drive to work. By the time I get to work, the air is hot and works great to get the rest of the ice off.

Should I flush the coolant and put fresh stuff in? The car has almost 57k on it so I can see it coming time to do it but I've never done it before. I have a feeling the coolant is the culprit although it *should* be Dexcool and that's supposed to last a hundred billion miles or whatever GM made up.

What do you guys think? Does it take your cars long to warm up in the morning?

How do I go about flushing the coolant? I didn't buy a tech book on the car yet. I've been meaning to.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not a bad idea for people up north to flush the system before winter....guys i know do it, just another thing to get under the car for

usually a good "warm up" is just letting the car come back to idle for a bit, put it into gear, let it sit for a few seconds and then just keep it under 2k rpms until it warms up
Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
So now we're getting into the cold weather and there is frost on my car in the morning when I leave for work. Since I didn't have an ice scraper the past few days, I had to let my car warm up for like 7-10 minutes before the air it was blowing wasn't cold anymore. I know this is not normal.

Thanks.
its going to take a while to warm these things up especially with all the little mods we f-body guys do to keep our cars cool in the summer

remember we have motors that dont have to work very hard driving normally therefore they aren't going to warm up very quick when its cold
Old 10-16-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Chevrolets have always been cold natured machines. They take forever to warm up when it's cold out. At least every one that I have owned has been that way
Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Chevrolets have always been cold natured machines. They take forever to warm up when it's cold out. At least every one that I have owned has been that way

I am not to sure of that, I drive a 2000 SS every day in NY. Its not exactly winter yet but it has gone down to the 30’s and my car warms up pretty fast.