General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need advice

hey guys! i am in desperate need for advice... i am looking to buy a z28 camero for $10,500. it has many modifications including
LS6 Block – bought with 932 miles on it
Slightly bored (to fit aftermarket pistons)
Honed, decked

LS1 Heads – bought brand new, stage II bore
Bored again to stage III
Titanium valves
High-lift springs
1.7:1 rocker arms
Chrome-moly pushrods
ARP hex head bolts
Fel-pro head gasket

Diamond forged steel dome-top pistons
Eagle forged steel connecting rods
Solid engine mounts
Venom 32ft/lb fuel injectors
Compcams street/strip cam good to 6900 RPMs
Centerforce dual-disk clutch (good to 800+ horsepower)
Flowtech long-tube headers
Flowtech Y-pipe
Flowmaster exhaust
Brand-new gas-cap, plugs, wires, o2 sensors, head-lights, slave-cylinder
Custom computer program – madz28.com

they are claiming to push 510 at the flywheel with 420 at the wheels? is this true? or are some of there numbers slightly off? i am also curious with another question that i know the ls6 comes from the corvette, and the ls1 from the camero, so do all ls6's come with corvettes, cause that would mean stock it would push 400. thank you for your times, i am clueless, so any imput would help
Old 10-22-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all it's camaAro. Doesn't look to be any reason to me that couldn't hit 420rwhp, but I don't know too much about internal engine setups etc. Are you planning to buy the car for sure and just wonder about the engine or what? More info on the car would make it easier to determine if it is a good value and what not. I'm not exactly sure what you are wanting to know from this post, just what numbers it could be expected to put out?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by country_bumpkin101

LS1 Heads – bought brand new, stage II bore
Bored again to stage III
I am very familiar with aftermarket heads but this is not enough info. What they need to tell you is:

1). Who made these heads (ETP, AFR, Patriot, PRC, Dart, ect.)

2). What is the CC on the chambers.

For example, AFR 205 heads 66cc chamber.

Titanium valves
High-lift springs
1.7:1 rocker arms
Chrome-moly pushrods
ARP hex head bolts
Fel-pro head gasket

Diamond forged steel dome-top pistons
Eagle forged steel connecting rods
Solid engine mounts
Venom 32ft/lb fuel injectors
That's all good.

Compcams street/strip cam good to 6900 RPMs
Need more info on the cam. What are the specs? Here is an example:

63-LS-218/224 Comp Cams LS1 Camshaft - 218 / 224 .527 / .534 114 LSA 1600-6500 RPM Power Band. Excellent mid-range torque with good top-end power. Computer Tuning Required. Works well with Crane 1.8 Roller Rockers.

That's a description of a Comp Cam from Thundar Racings website. The key numbers here are 218/224 114 lsa.

Centerforce dual-disk clutch (good to 800+ horsepower)
Flowtech long-tube headers
Flowtech Y-pipe
Flowmaster exhaust
Brand-new gas-cap, plugs, wires, o2 sensors, head-lights, slave-cylinder
I'm not familiar with clutches but they certainly didn't pick the best headers and catback for this vehicle.

Custom computer program – madz28.com
WTF. I never understand why someone would go through all the expense of a heads/cam setup and then use a mail order tune. This car needs a dyno tune so it can be fine tuned for max HP and streetability.

they are claiming to push 510 at the flywheel with 420 at the wheels? is this true? or are some of there numbers slightly off? i am also curious with another question that i know the ls6 comes from the corvette, and the ls1 from the camero, so do all ls6's come with corvettes, cause that would mean stock it would push 400. thank you for your times, i am clueless, so any imput would help
They are just guessing. Until it's strapped to a dyno they don't know what it really pulls. If you can get specs on the heads and cam then I can at least give you an educated guess. But 420 rwhp through an M6 isn't all that hard to obtain so there is a "reasonable" chance this is close to accurate.

If I were you I would really think long and hard about buying this car. A car this heavily modded with no dyno tune would scare me away. But if you do buy this car then I would get it to a dyno tuner ASAP. Even if you have to drive 100+ miles to the nearest one it'll be well worth the time and money.