General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Selling my car out of state, how to collect payment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Selling my car out of state, how to collect payment?

I think that a buyer is going to be bying and transporting my car from out of state. What is the best way for me to get payment securely? I am thinking just a cashiers check/ money order and waiting for it to clear? I want the buyer to feel comfortable about the whole transaction...

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the buyer is honest he will not have a single problem with you not letting the car go until the funds are 100% in your possession (being a cashed/deposited check that doesn't bounce after a day or two if the bank finds out its fake)

When I sell things online and tell the potential buyers its not leaving my house until the entire payment is in my hands and the buyer has a problem with it, I move on to the next guy.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cashiers check is the way to go. on a transaction that big the paypal fee is too big
Old 10-23-2006, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently purchasing a vehicle that is several states away. I'm using a loan check by Capital One though.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I brought my car from a Car Sales place in Pensacola. I'm in England UK, I trusted him as he had a business so its slightly different to your situation. The way I paid was a Bank Wire Transfer. The bank lets you know the money is in your acount and then you can give him the car. I had to get him to keep the car for a couple of weeked until I got get the hipping people to collect it to deliver to me.

Obviouly cash is going to be too much to handle realisticly. I would vote for bank wire transfer.

However I sold my 3rd Gen Firebird and he gave me a cashiers check which I took him to my bank and paid it in, my bank was happy it was as good a money in my bank account so I gve him the car keys.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently sold my Formula 350 on eBay, and the guy gave me a small deposit via Paypal, and sent me a cashiers/bank check for the rest via UPS Next Day Air. Took it to my bank, they deposited it and did all the title work AT THE BANK. They have a Notary there. I shipped the title and all the paperwork back to the buyer. Guy arranged for a shipping company to pick the car up at my door. Now it's in Reno, NV, 2500 miles away. *sigh*.

I'm gonna add that I was pretty nervous throughout the whole transaction. I did stay in CONSTANT telephone contact with my buyer. I wanted him to feel at ease, cause honestly, I wouldn't feel at ease if the roles were reversed. Good luck with the sale.