General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I fell off the wagon.........I am addicted.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

or just don't have a woman and make your car your girlfriend but really im only 18 and i would have to say cars have kept me OUT of trouble
Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just tell her that the heads broke and the cam busted and need to be replaced with higher quality ones...
man, i must be lucky, my ex bought ALL of the mods that i currently have on my car. except for the mti clear lid and the maf.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

i personally would do the "this broke on the car or its worn out" line then buy "better" ones to replace them i make enough to pay for my car, the house, the bills, and her car so any extra i make on overtime goes to mods. if she is smart enough to figure out the the part isnt broken though i would just be straight-up and tell her that it makes you happy and give her the sad excuse of "dont you want me to be happy?" youd be surprised
Old 10-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Launching!

women... can't live with em, can't kill em.

seriously though. i've seen this very thing happen to my dad. my mom will go out and spend ludicrous amounts of money on all kinds of **** that no one needs. example you ask? how about purchasing a $200 bench to sit in our backyard when NO ONE ever goes back there and we already have several other pieces of lawn furniture to sit on. this is merely one example of literally hundreds. yet, if my dad were to so much as purchase a fishing rod, his *** would be crucified. he has a $5 a day allowance for eating out while my mom and sister will pick up chili's or the like 3 times a day (my mom doesn't do "cooking"). you give them an inch, they take a mile. sometimes it's necessary to put your foot down, even if it means PMSing wife. now i'm not saying that you have it this bad, nor that you ever will... but it all starts somewhere and i don't think my dad ever imagined sacraficing as much of himself as he has. stand your ground. it's your money too, use it as YOU see fit and let her do the same with hers.

the idea of counting up her shoes and totaling those out sounds like a good idea. 50 pair x $20 = $1000!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Llust1WS6
women... can't live with em, can't kill em.

the idea of counting up her shoes and totaling those out sounds like a good idea. 50 pair x $20 = $1000!!!

$20 per pair? i need to start sending the wife there for now on lol. try buying 100-130 a pair once a month women
Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
I'll let ya know sunday
hey man, where ya goin sunday? I want in!! Im doin my headers on saterday! Are u gonna go to the meet on saterday night at the bass pro shop? Sorry, didnt mean to hijack!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PLOEG
Make up some lame *** excuse that you are really dong it for her or the kids or something. One of my dads friend does that all the time and it works great. He has a 69 copo and 69' 396 375 chevelle that he bought as "investments" for his 2 daughters . Try hard you can make it work

This is actually the excuse that I used to get the Z, for the future father sons project. They are 5 and 7 and they absolutly love to ride around with the T-tops off. They "helped" me install the headers by handing me the tools, usually the wrong one though, but the enjoyed helping daddy.

I understand about the trade off and the meeting eachothers needs. We have been slowly remodeling our house for the past 2 years. I pretty much hit the "burn out" stage on the house. Some of the list has not been done yet. So I am frustrated that the next "extra" 3K needs to go to new siding and paint insted of the H/C combo . Modding by credit card is not an option seeing that we are debt free and intend to stay that way.
I was tempted when I got my car to buy one that was already modded, but I was advised against the purchase.(wrightfully so)

Thanks for all the ideas! Keep them coming!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ever see the video with the Twin Turbo Ford GT? The owner said something that I will never forget and I will paraphrase "People ask me why I spend this money on my car; 'you'll never get what you put into it', 'its not practical', you know what I tell them? To me, its money well spent and something I enjoy".. Money well spent, very good words, now obvously if you have a hail damaged roof on your house and are spending the money on some iForged wheels.. you may have a problem, but if the wife just wants to change the curtains she bought last week cause they don't match the sofa, then you have every right.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well a H/C package might be a hard sell. However if you want to go forced induction you could say something like, " Honey, the damn 'air pump' took a dump on my car! Now i'm going to fail the emissions test! I didn't think it was too expensive but the dealer wanted $3000+ dollars for it. Those damn stealerships!!" Etc...
As for my wife and my LPE H/C package, she knew for years that it is what I wanted. When we finally got a decent tax return earlier this year she relented and ok'd the project. Next year is her turn and she'll get the big 55 inch plasma TV she's been wanting. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
Well a H/C package might be a hard sell. However if you want to go forced induction you could say something like, " Honey, the damn 'air pump' took a dump on my car! Now i'm going to fail the emissions test! I didn't think it was too expensive but the dealer wanted $3000+ dollars for it. Those damn stealerships!!" Etc...
As for my wife and my LPE H/C package, she knew for years that it is what I wanted. When we finally got a decent tax return earlier this year she relented and ok'd the project. Next year is her turn and she'll get the big 55 inch plasma TV she's been wanting. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Dude, I like the "air pump" idea. lol

When I mentioned about the practicality of investing in modding, I wasn't talking about a monetary gain. I don't expect or intend to get my money out of it. The pay off is when I mash the gas and get hard on. I love it, it does make me happy and I just want more.

When the time comes to get the H/C, I don't think she will give me too much grief.....I just don't want to wait that long.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Those are rare, if you can find me a good looking one then I'll trade mine in. After two kids I wonder what the KBB value is on her ***, ah hell I'd pay someone to take her.
LMFAO thats harsh dude!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

The M6 took a dump last June and needed a replacement. It's not my DD so there was no rush to fix. After a week of moping around the house, she says " Oh get the damn thing fixed already and then get out of my hair!" I love her, we've been married for 25 years. I know how to work the system. After a chat with the mechanic, I came back with "Honey, the guy says it needs the Rockland Standard and Gear tranny with the Viper parts. The clutch has some hot spots and needs replaced, the master and slave cylinders are shot, and the torque arm is bad too." Next spring, I think the HC, intake and MAF are bad enough to cause big trouble with the motor!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, bribes usually work with my wife.

I wanted LT's/CatY/and Catback - she go a Beretta 92FS
I wanted the Camaro - she got a full bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier (not a Pit Bull)
I wanted to upgrade my computer - she got necklace and earring set from Zales she's been wanting for months
I want Rear End/H and C Setup and new suspension - she wants Covered Patio for House (which is next)

All about compromise, whatever you want, get the wife something.