General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Exhaust rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust rattle?

When I am at low (near bogging) or taking off rpm, (and sometimes at idle) the exhaust "rattles" it is definitely coming from under the car and I think from the exhaust as when I touch my key to it I can feel it shake harder when I hear the rattle (in sync with the engine "purr" hard to explain, but the engine idles smooth, but kinda purrs and the exhaust will rattle a bit at the crescendo of the minute purring oscilations). Sounds like something is touching something or a rubber grommet is not doing its job or whatnot. Any advice? Do LSx's just have crappy exhaust designes? Anything in particular that comes loose and needs tightening over time?

PS, changed the oil for the first time today. DAMN THOSE FILTERS ARE SMALL!!! My engine is VERY quiet though. I am happy, I primed the filter to the top and when I cranked it after the oil change I heard NO!!! rattle/tick as oil pressure built to normal. It sounded just like a normal crank! I was very impressed.

Now I need to do the front brakes, I am researching on how to blead them so as not to jack up the ABS. Needs doing ASAP because the RF pad is wearing at the rotor with the rivets in the pad. Its not bad and wont require turning as of yet, but I need to get to it before weeks end.

Traction control is very unobtrusive and I am a big fan of it in this car!!!

CAGS skipshift can !@#& off! I dont like it, but I think I may leave her, or maybe to the radioshack mod or something cheap.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an ltx. however i believe that the source of the rattle is the same. My cat went bad a few weeks ago. The first few startups after it blew i was like because i thought something really bad had happened. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed me with a bad cat. It rattled just like you described. i checked under the car to look for a loose clamp or something...but nothing. just gives me an excuse to replace the entire exhaust (not saying you will have to by any means).
is the check engine light on?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what's the radioshack mod?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

Thanks, will the dealership replace a cat if its rattling but no CEL is on?

Teh radioshack mod is where you puy a resistor or whatever its called (sorry) and plug it into the module that you would plug the SLP skipshift eliminator in. If you do a search on "disabling CAGS" you will find the correct OHM resistor to use.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my new hooker cat-back right tailpipe does a tapdance against the mudguard or whatever it is on it's right. it didnt at first but then i got my tips where I want em and now it bugs the hell outta me at idle.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Banned

I need to crawl under the car and look all around the exhaust I guess. Its stock WS6 exhaust.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bad CAT to me man. Nothing to big of a deal, you may get lucky and have the dealership replace it under warrenty since technically the CATS on our cars aren't ever suppose to go bad. Its worth a shot. Again, you made a good choice!!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Tech Resident

you sure you didn't break a clamp? i think i just blew a clamp a week or two ago. my exhaust has been rattling like a SOB out of nowhere. it only happens when i put it in reverse, though, or when i take off very slowly, and sometimes when i sit still. i had a clamp go on me in my old V6 also, and this is what it sounded like. not sure if you're suffering from the same thing. my problem is a VIBRATION. does your car vibrate really hard or does it sound like shaking up a can of spray paint with that little ball in it?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trust
Sounds like a bad CAT to me man. Nothing to big of a deal, you may get lucky and have the dealership replace it under warrenty since technically the CATS on our cars aren't ever suppose to go bad. Its worth a shot. Again, you made a good choice!!
I am not freaked over it, just hoping they will replace it even w/o a CEL. The rattle is annoying. Its not bad, a date wouldnt notice it, but I do, and when I point it out you can hear it. Sounds like the cat in my old crown vic when it went bad.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Banned

YEAH!!! Kinda like a ball/spraycan under some circumstances.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

think its a pup-cat or a big one, how many do I have? I have not even looked. Is it 1 cat or 2? I think its 2 and 2 pups, right?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Tech Resident

01-02 LS1's have 2 pup cats.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

How will the dealership determine which one it is? iron rod pressed to the ear and the cat? or are there better ways now?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check your 02 sensor covers, one of mine was loose/not printed, and rattled (sounded like a coin in a jar) at idle sometimes. Printed it and the rattle is gone.

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Now I need to do the front brakes, I am researching on how to blead them so as not to jack up the ABS. Needs doing ASAP because the RF pad is wearing at the rotor with the rivets in the pad. Its not bad and wont require turning as of yet, but I need to get to it before weeks end.
While your at it, if you have the stock rotors just get rid of them, they're crap and will warp really easily.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you sure you didn't break a clamp? i think i just blew a clamp a week or two ago. my exhaust has been rattling like a SOB out of nowhere. it only happens when i put it in reverse, though, or when i take off very slowly, and sometimes when i sit still. i had a clamp go on me in my old V6 also, and this is what it sounded like. not sure if you're suffering from the same thing. my problem is a VIBRATION. does your car vibrate really hard or does it sound like shaking up a can of spray paint with that little ball in it?
There aren't any clamps on the factory exhaust. It was all welded together and then hung on the car as one unit on the assembly line (obviously before the rearend was installed).
Old 10-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
There aren't any clamps on the factory exhaust. It was all welded together and then hung on the car as one unit on the assembly line (obviously before the rearend was installed).
i'm thinking he has an aftermarket so not used to stock exhaust people on here. i guess i just assume

FWIW, my old 3.4L V6 had exhaust clamps on my stock exhaust. i had bad rattling. a $2 clamp fixed it up. threw it on a lift and got it fixed for free i've never seen stock exhaust on an LS1 f-body because honestly, i just don't see many at all with stock exhaust
Old 10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

heat shield? exhaust touching anywhere?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Check your 02 sensor covers, one of mine was loose/not printed, and rattled (sounded like a coin in a jar) at idle sometimes. Printed it and the rattle is gone.

While your at it, if you have the stock rotors just get rid of them, they're crap and will warp really easily.

HOLY CRAP! you nailed it. My 02's rattled, they still do kinda, but he pulled all 4 and then put all 4 back in and so im sure they are "snug" but it does it A MINUTE AMOUNT (or maybe im used to it so I think it does..)but its worlds better. What do you mean by "printed it" and what 02 sensor cover? Mine just screws in and has a "mud shield" around it welded to the exhaust. Explain what I need to do?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to let you know (just in case it comes up in the future) if your car doesn't have the SES light the dealership won't do crap under warranty.....I've been down that road
i've never seen stock exhaust on an LS1 f-body because honestly, i just don't see many at all with stock exhaust
Oh and whats wrong with stock exhaust, eh?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
HOLY CRAP! you nailed it. My 02's rattled, they still do kinda, but he pulled all 4 and then put all 4 back in and so im sure they are "snug" but it does it A MINUTE AMOUNT (or maybe im used to it so I think it does..)but its worlds better. What do you mean by "printed it" and what 02 sensor cover? Mine just screws in and has a "mud shield" around it welded to the exhaust. Explain what I need to do?
haha nice, that drove me nuts for a long time.
My o2 sensors have these very thin metal covers around them, its not the mud shield. When the exahust would vibrate, the covers would rattle against the o2 sensors. This was a while ago, so I dont remember much, but maybe they were removable. You can print them with a clamp, like needle nose plyers, you just basically clamp it againts the o2 sensors.

Quick Reply: Exhaust rattle?