General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Best Way to do a Burnout With M6

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
well yea your NOT suppost to heat up street tires, burn outs are just for fun with them, if your at the track with street tires you wanna avoid the watter box, and once your past the water box, spin the tires once or twice to get any dirt or rocks off of them your not suppost to roast them, not DR's are a different story
Also, real racers with slicks hate when people with street tires roll through the water box and do burnouts at the track cause the street tire will leave water all the way down the track because it is held in the tread pattern. That causes guys with slicks to have traction issues at times.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceEatingWS6
Ok guys, you're gonna have to bear with me here, i'm a total f*ckin idiot when it comes to doing these. I just trying doing a couple before and fucked it up bad. The first time i revved to about 2500, quick let off of the clutch pedal and hit the brake while gassing it. The whole car just jerked when i let off the pedal and i almost stalled. The second time I revved to 2500, slowly let off the clutch pedal while giving more gas until the tires started to spin. Then I quick hit the brake pedal, the engine kept revving but the tires stopped spinning, and I stalled out. How exactly are you supposed to do it and what is this line lock thing? How do you do one without having to buy extra stuff?
First of all you're not revving high enough. Revving up gives you ALOT more power.

Find an safe open area with plenty of open space ahead of you, even to the sides.

first do it without the brakes. From a stop, clutch in, rev to hold steady for a second around 4,000 rpm (don't worry, that clutch-in rev won't hurt anything). Let the clutch out almost as fast as you can and put the gas to the floor at the same time. You will light the tires up nicely. To know if you did it right...if the corners of your mouth are stuck near your ears, you probably did it right.

Now after a couple tries, you will develop confidence, and that will feel natural and easy to do.

Now experiment with doing the same thing but as soon as you let the clutch out, slam on the brakes half-hard while still having the gas pedal to the floor. Keep increasing pressure on the brake until you slow back to a stop.
the more you practice, the shorter the distance you will launch before coming to a stop. It's really pretty easy to do it within a couple feet once you get a feel for it.

One more thing always be safe. Don't do it past school busses with the red lights flashing, or at the red light next to the state police barracks, or any other situation where if you're not sure you are in control that an innocent person or their property or even worse, YOUR LSx CAR could be injured or killed! :-O
Old 11-04-2006, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Unless you have drag slicks and are at the track I just don't get why people want to do burnouts with street tires. I see $$$ whenever I see some kid doing a burnout in a parking lot, red light whatever. No wonder I read that some folks here are only getting 3-4k miles from a set of tires...
1st 3 passes in my old one were 14.4, 14.7 with a burnout, then drove around the water and didnt burn out and ran 13.8. Burnouts are just for show on any street tire.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
you stalled it forgetting to press the gas
hahahahahaha my bad yeah dont forget to press the gas
Old 11-05-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

I think I disagree with most of the posts regarding burnouts at the track. I have noticed at least a .3s improvement when burning out on my old gs-c's at the track. I would drive around the water box, back into it, spin them good and spin out of the box, slowly stopping past the line, backing up and then launching at about 1800rpm, versus only 1500

I side step my clutch pedal when doing any sort of burnout on the street, but only at about 3000rpm, I dont like to hurt my poor 10 bolt too much.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Also, real racers with slicks hate when people with street tires roll through the water box and do burnouts at the track cause the street tire will leave water all the way down the track because it is held in the tread pattern. That causes guys with slicks to have traction issues at times.

I would have to concur. Plus, DRs or 'racing rubbers' are designed to operate at a different temperates. Engineers give no though to those higer temperature ranges when they design a street tire so you are basically cause excessive wear . The performance of the tire wasn't designed to increase at the higher temp range.

Also, it is VERY VERY bad on tires designed for wet traction.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I would have to concur. Plus, DRs or 'racing rubbers' are designed to operate at a different temperates. Engineers give no though to those higer temperature ranges when they design a street tire so you are basically cause excessive wear . The performance of the tire wasn't designed to increase at the higher temp range.

Also, it is VERY VERY bad on tires designed for wet traction.
I'm not an expert, but isn't that what a z rated tire is, rated for higher speed because of higher temperature range?
Old 11-05-2006, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

I would drive around the water box, back into it, spin them good and spin out of the box, slowly stopping past the line, backing up and then launching
Is there an advantage to going past the line? I understand the major HP dragsters do it because they don't have front brakes but I don't see why the extra hassle with a street car. We had plenty of room to flip off the line lock and stop, then creep into the lights with the S/ST car (10.90 index).
Old 11-06-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i do burnouts before a race cuz it makes the ladies smile!lol btw they are streets,lol
Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magnet
umm...what can you change? rev it up, side step it, and apply foot to brake?
+

Originally Posted by unit213
2nd gear dump. Get the wheel speed way up there for a good, solid burnout.
= teh best way
Old 11-06-2006, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

I do burnouts cuz.... Well it's just damn hillarious. Any old people around instantly get very pissed at you and start yelling or call the police. It's funny how old bastards get so mad at that ****, like it's really actually hurting anything. There's black streaks all over the streets around here because of me. There's this road on the back side of the lake where no-one's around at night, me and my friends go out there and leave rubber all up and down that bitch.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Veteran

my street where i live on has tire marks all over it from me. 1 of them is 3/4 the block long and like 7 or 8 houses long.

so does the main street.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 AM
On The Tree

oh yeah. 1) Rev between 4 and 5k 2) quickly take your foot off the clutch 3) immediately put enough pressure on the brake to slow the car to a stop, but not enough pressure to make your revs drop (a sweet spot if you will, just enough to hold the car still and not bog the engine-the higher the rpm=the more smoke) 4) take your foot off the brake and shift into 2nd as fast as possible and then get back on it to stop the car again 5) repeat step 4 but shift into third instead this time, this step will take more practice than shifting into 2nd, but if you get it down- smoke will start barrelling out and you will soon fill the entire street with it and possibly not be able to see anything. 6) let off the brake and keep it floored and try to stay straight, this will leave those beautiful, dark black ribbons in the street much like a trophy of you showing the pavement who's boss. 7) run! get the f*ck outta there! quick before you get a wreckless operation ticket!!!!

Last edited by DarthQuaider; 11-06-2006 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 AM
On The Tree

you could always do it in the snow, its really easy
Old 11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

I've found that it's easiest to turn my right foot 90 degrees to the right, stick my heel on the brake pedal and use my toe to give it gas. I use my left foot to depress the clutch. Rev it to about 3500-4000 and side step the clutch and add a little gas to keep the tires spinning. I don't move an inch when I do this and it's a lot easier than trying to dump the clutch then push the brake in. See my post in the general LSX discussion forum.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Default I needed this!

Originally Posted by DarthQuaider
oh yeah. 1) Rev between 4 and 5k 2) quickly take your foot off the clutch 3) immediately put enough pressure on the brake to slow the car to a stop, but not enough pressure to make your revs drop (a sweet spot if you will, just enough to hold the car still and not bog the engine-the higher the rpm=the more smoke) 4) take your foot off the brake and shift into 2nd as fast as possible and then get back on it to stop the car again 5) repeat step 4 but shift into third instead this time, this step will take more practice than shifting into 2nd, but if you get it down- smoke will start barrelling out and you will soon fill the entire street with it and possibly not be able to see anything. 6) let off the brake and keep it floored and try to stay straight, this will leave those beautiful, dark black ribbons in the street much like a trophy of you showing the pavement who's boss. 7) run! get the f*ck outta there! quick before you get a wreckless operation ticket!!!!
well put!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Please don't weck your car, I don't want to see another ls1 in the junk yard so take it real e-z at first and learn what you car in going to do befor it does it(not just burning off but with eveything).
Old 11-06-2006, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

aside from burnning out, I live out side the city limmits and there are lots or burn off marks on the road out there ( there is 2 ls1 and a big block on spray that live there plus my friends so go figgure) anyway one day a CHP had someone pulled over in front of my house and he was looking all over the road like WTF. it was so funny.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skiner back mayne.

I dont understand why its so hard, ive done a burn out in a 5 speed 3.8 with out a problem.

And a T/A with brand new nitto's...
Old 11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Rev it to the revlimiter, stick it into 3rd and drop the clutch... LOL JUST KIDDING, what ever you do dont just dump the clutch you will be picking up you rear end.

Quick Reply: Best Way to do a Burnout With M6