General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Trying to work out LS1 powers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to work out LS1 powers

So i'm looking to buy an LS1 and in the process i am getting totally lost in the power outputs for various models.

It would seem that the corvettes have either 320, 345 or 350, and the F-bodys have either 300, 305, 320 and 325 bhp.

i was straight on this until a site mentioned that all LS1 produce the same power and are only controlled by the ECU map.

So which is it?

I am looking to buy a secondhand LS1 from Cleveland pick-a-part. It's an lS1 from an F-body but has an LS6 intake- does this therefore mean it has a different cam in it? Does the LS6 intake still have a cable throttle linkage?

i have tried searching the internet and here, but just can't quite find what i am looking for. thanks for any help.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

All Ls1's produce about the same SAE Net bhp. Regardless of vehicle of GM quoted numbers.

Various changes occured over the years, 2001 was the most significant with a milder cam, LS6 intake and better heads. These generally produce a tad more HP but nothing dramatic.

There's a sticky which lists all the changes if you really want to know every detail. There are some subtle changes between Fbody and Vette, such as cable and electronic controlled throttle body.

All Ls1's (USA anyhow ) = ~345bhp +-

If you plan to mod it really doesn't matter what you go for.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:41 AM
Staging Lane

i don't really want to mod it that much to be honest- 350 of them thar ponies (as we would say down in zummerset) are quite enough for off roading. I just want to drop it in and go!

i'll see if i can find that sticky.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah it's either in this forum of one of the other new Ls1 owerns/enthusiasts forums.

It's quite helpful but a bit of a pita to read.

What sort of PCM are you going to use or are you looking at carb?

In essence, the LS1 responds great to mods, some decent exhaust headers and exhaust with a good intake and get rid of the air con and you'll be looking at the best part of 400bhp.

Main changes:

97 (Corvette only) - 98 models use a different PCM and have slightly different heads.
99-2001 - have better heads and later type PCM
01+ (Fbody until 2002 and Corvett to 2004) - these have better heads again, ls6 intake and slightly milder cam.

Injector size varied over the years, but unless you plan on serious mods it won't matter. And in reality the later type LS6 manifold probably won't make much odds in a off roader, it only makes more power above 4500rpm compared to a LS1 intake. But with the stock milder cam of the 2001+ models HP remains pretty similar in stock trim.

All Ls1's have some issue with the PCM and piston slap, generally these appear to be less of an issue with later engines. But it's not a serious problem regardless so I wouldn't worry too much.

Where are you thinking of getting an LS1 from? They are pretty rare in the UK. StivieTurbo and few others over at v8owners.org are usually pretty helpful if you're looking to source an engine.

GTO/Monaro engines are essentially the same as Corvette units with the electronic controlled throttle body. The only odd ball one is the Vauxhall VXR Monnaro from 2004, it had a 385bhp LS1 engine in it. Not sure what the differences where though. But you'll be doing well to find one.

Personally I probably wouldn't worry too much about year and go more for condition and price.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

It's all in this sticky: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html

It's aimed at Fbody's specifically, so a lot of the changes refer to the car not the powerplant, but it should be helpful.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Engein will be megasquirted which sorts the PCM out- will be removing the COP and going for banked injection- i have looked at aftermarket PCM for LS1 but MS is easier to get parts for in the UK it would seem- and it's also more waterproof i think - fairly important as this engine will be totally submerged at times!

I am thinking of using an FLP header system but i just can't quite work out if the headers will clear the chassis rails of the range rover which i am using. I don't want to fork out $1200 for a system i can't use. however the FLP system with the removeable CATS is great because it will sort out the problems with SVA and off roading- ie i have to haev CATS for the SVA test to get the car road legal, but CATS and water do NOT mix. Removeable cats sort out his issue- i don't suppose you fancy swapping the LS1 into your disco for me do you? go on you know you want to

what's the issue with piston slap and the PCM? the CR isn't that high so i wouldn't have expected piston slap at all- is it a very common problem which i will need to tune around?

i am buying the LS1 from a breakers in cleveland called cleveland pick-a-part. The reason i am using them is that they do a comp test on each cylinder, a vacuum test and an oil press test at cold and warm. If these numbers look good then the engine is more than likely a good un i reckon. Shipping is being arranged through Moving Parts who seem to get pretty good shpping rates- steve seems to know his stuff anyway.

Gearbox is going to be aftermarket from Gaerstar transmissions i think.

all in all should be a pretty powerful reliable engine.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pugwash
i don't suppose you fancy swapping the LS1 into your disco for me do you? go on you know you want to
lol

Sadly not, I compete in ARC events so it has to meet the regs, often thought about using a Jaguar V8 and swapping the covers to Land Rover ones though. But I like diesels for the type of off roading I do.

what's the issue with piston slap
All LS1's suffer from it pretty much. And GM's official word is don't worry about it. I think it's partly due to being an aluminum block. When you start up from cold (when its cold out) you'll hear a slight slapping noise.

It's been covered on here extensivly if you use SEARCH you'll probably find more info than you really wanted on it. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, it's a bit like Rover V8's always leak a bit of oil, even when new, but no body cared as it didn't do any harm.

and the PCM?
If you're going Megasquirt it won't matter. the 97/8 cars had a different PCM (ECU).