General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LT1/LS1 Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only owned an LT1 but recently I helped a friend of mine do full exhaust and a lid on his 02 WS6 and that install went so smoothly. I think the LS1 is much easier to work on, seems like ther is more room in the engine bay. I just remember trying to wedge my LT's in the LT1 engine bay, wasn't an easy task. Oh and afterwards we went for the test drive and that thing pulls hard and smooth all the way to 100mph when we stopped. I love my LT1 just becasue I 've learned a lot and have had a lot of fun with it. Looking at the numbers the LS1 cars put down with the mods they have makes is so very tempting to trade off the LT1.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
+1

a fast LT1 is more respected than a fast LS1 because the LT1 is widely misunderstood as being a turd even modded. plus the looks you get from others when you tell them you ran an 11 or 10 sec pass with an H/C LT1 with DR's and a 12 bolt.

although you can just get the LT1, get a 150 shot, live you life a 1/4 mile at a time, and call it a day.
Then get a civic. My friend's ran 10.9@139 on a tuning pass. I would think that should warrent some serious respect! Screw the F-body, get something people will RESPECT! you in. Like a fast civic or a old VW with a 350!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

Get an LS1. I have owned two LT1 cars, one being a Formula that ran 14.18 bone stock and a 95 9C1 Caprice that ran 13.42 with heads/cam/LT's and true duals. My LS1 with just a lid and catback and 4.10's ran 13.00. Total cost? Right now even after buying a lid, catback, shorty headers, gears, and AR Rebels I have $7800 in the car. I bought it with 128K on it back in April and now it has 140K. Don't be afraid of a 100K + car. That 100K **** dates back to the 70's when carbs were in use and engines didn't last long due to the cylinder walls getting washed down due to flooding, etc. My 9C1's engine looked NEW and still had the crosshatch from honing on the cylinder walls @ 140K. The only thing having under 100K will do is increase the price you pay. Spend less on a higher mileage car and leave money for more mods later. I wouldn't be afraid to mod a high mileage car these days.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the LT1 will be cheaper if all you want is 12's
Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

buy an LS1 and be done with it
Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

I'm glad I bought my LT1, although I get beat on highway races with LS1s. I like being the 'underdog' and plan on changing most of the performance stuff anyways. Plus I like the LT1 front end more. I had a choice to buy either though
Old 11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like my LT1, but personally wish I had an ls1. From a performance perspective, I love the ls1 top end. My car kinda dies out once you hit high speeds. An ls1 is a lot closer to 12's.. and some have made it in nearly stock.
Sure you can buy aftermarket parts to make the lt1 quicker, but your getting farther away from reliability. I don't know about others, but everytime I do something to my car, something negative happends. Suspension work will give you noises and harshness, engine work will give you more problems. Cast iron block is okay I guess, but gets super *** hot compaired to aluminum. LT1 motors make around 230-240 rwhp. Your going to loose hp if you get a highmilage car. Any low mile lt1s are going to be expensive because it's uncommon.

My car was bought with 53K miles on it, and now I have about 64K. It's been about 2 years. I got my car for around $7K. I'm lucky to not have any major problems yet. I'm just starting to have to change my opti-spark. By the way, the waterpump leaking is what destroys optisparks. It's more of a waterpump problem, rather than ignition problem with the lt1's. Window motors are going bad, but thats normal for lt1's or ls1's.

Other than that, it comes down to what body style you like. Like others are saying, if you want to be an "underdog" and surprise ls1 drivers, get an lt1.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by 97pontta
I've only owned an LT1 but recently I helped a friend of mine do full exhaust and a lid on his 02 WS6 and that install went so smoothly. I think the LS1 is much easier to work on, seems like ther is more room in the engine bay. I just remember trying to wedge my LT's in the LT1 engine bay, wasn't an easy task. Oh and afterwards we went for the test drive and that thing pulls hard and smooth all the way to 100mph when we stopped. I love my LT1 just becasue I 've learned a lot and have had a lot of fun with it. Looking at the numbers the LS1 cars put down with the mods they have makes is so very tempting to trade off the LT1.

Ill put it to you this way, the LS1's I have raced got beat and replied with "I thought LT1's were slow"

I have driven plenty of near stock LS1 cars and they suck on the bottom end compared to a LT1. Granted its WAY easy to get a LS1 car in the 10's I give you the Magic stick cams and T-Rex. However I will run 11's next year with a full cage in the car and stock internals and will have invested in the car with the cost of the car included what it would cost to get a HIGH mileage beater LS1 car...

Just something to think about.

Stock for stock the LS1 will pull a LT1 on the top end, thats when you get an exhaust and it pretty much takes car or that...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

i would like another 4 cyl for daily commuting....

hell im just glad i have a camaro period. its just better that i have the extra 2 cylinders.

i get respect for my car since the paint look practically brand new, for 13 yrs old. i had like 10 people compliment it. i had to bring it back to life with a clay bar though.

a datsun 510 with a carbed 350 or 383 would be nice too

im waiting for an LS1 Z to be around 4-5k and im getting one. along with an 05 GTO as the family car. ill get respect getting groceries in 13.5 seconds flat (grocery store is about 1/4 mile away).

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Then get a civic. My friend's ran 10.9@139 on a tuning pass. I would think that should warrent some serious respect! Screw the F-body, get something people will RESPECT! you in. Like a fast civic or a old VW with a 350!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me make this easier to understand and DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL PPL!!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

if it wasnt for the LT1/LT4, there wouldnt be an LS1 there would be something else.

LS1 was based off of the LT4's design and modernized.

blondes= teh suck, i hate em so much id take my chance with having richard simmons near my engine

Originally Posted by LebaneseShowoff
Let me make this easier to understand and DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL PPL!!!!!

Last edited by Revelation Z28; 11-07-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
if it wasnt for the LT1/LT4, there wouldnt be an LS1 there would be something else.

LS1 was based off of the LT4's design and modernized.

blondes= teh suck, i hate em so much id take my chance with having richard simmons near my engine
Very true. We gota give credit to the lt1s for that. However, its a dog eat dog world.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

you have an LS1 or LT1? cause "we" meant youre on the LS1 side.

PLUS

why the hell are 2 chevy guys fighting with eachother on who is better? ever heard of a thing called a team? its called evolution of technology. if the LS1 guys did want a camaro back in the LT1 days, they would've had them, dealt with them, and liked them then upgraded. if we have an LT1 because of funds, then oh well. once the LS1 F body goes down in price to about 4-6k then most LT1's will be retired in garages. we all have f bodies in the end. f body owners never fought like this back in the 60's with the 327/350/396 lineup. why should we over a dam engine. team up against ford. team up against unit and his cobra or something

Originally Posted by Ralls
Very true. We gota give credit to the lt1s for that. However, its a dog eat dog world.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Ill put it to you this way, the LS1's I have raced got beat and replied with "I thought LT1's were slow"
Let me put it to you this way. Every LT1 I faced lost.

I have driven plenty of near stock LS1 cars and they suck on the bottom end compared to a LT1.
Really? I destroy LT1's start to finish. Go figure. And just for the record a LS1 has plenty down low. Look at the dyno sheets. Yes we make better power up top but we are also respectable down low.

I used to race my friend in his stock A4 LT1 when I was stock and we would be dead even in first, I would pull a car or two in second and it got ugly in third for him

Granted its WAY easy to get a LS1 car in the 10's I give you the Magic stick cams and T-Rex. However I will run 11's next year with a full cage in the car and stock internals and will have invested in the car with the cost of the car included what it would cost to get a HIGH mileage beater LS1 car...

Just something to think about.
11's on stock internals? WOW! I am impressed. Oh wait, LS1's have hit 10's on stock internals and NO power adder!

Stock for stock the LS1 will pull a LT1 on the top end, thats when you get an exhaust and it pretty much takes car or that...
LOL. Stock for stock the LS1 stays even down low, pulls in the middle and walks away up high. You want a fight you can't win? Here's one:

Stock vs stock = LS1 FTW
Bolt on vs bolt on = LS1 FTW
Cam only vs cam only Must I even say it?

What about the end of the road? Worlds fastest LT1 is in the 8's while the worlds fastest LS1 is in the 6's.

Check and Mate.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Let me put it to you this way. Every LT1 I faced lost.

Really? I destroy LT1's start to finish. Go figure. And just for the record a LS1 has plenty down low. Look at the dyno sheets. Yes we make better power up top but we are also respectable down low.

I used to race my friend in his stock A4 LT1 when I was stock and we would be dead even in first, I would pull a car or two in second and it got ugly in third for him

11's on stock internals? WOW! I am impressed. Oh wait, LS1's have hit 10's on stock internals and NO power adder!

LOL. Stock for stock the LS1 stays even down low, pulls in the middle and walks away up high. You want a fight you can't win? Here's one:

Stock vs stock = LS1 FTW
Bolt on vs bolt on = LS1 FTW
Cam only vs cam only Must I even say it?

What about the end of the road? Worlds fastest LT1 is in the 8's while the worlds fastest LS1 is in the 6's.

Check and Mate.
chill the hell out people whats the point of starting another ls1>lt1 pissing contest

LS1'S ARE BETTER are you ******* happy! leave it be lets get back on topic here
Old 11-07-2006, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
chill the hell out people whats the point of starting another ls1>lt1 pissing contest

LS1'S ARE BETTER are you ******* happy! leave it be lets get back on topic here
I think the thread starter did that just by making this thread. Once a few LT1 guys started posting in such a way to make it look like the LT1 was superior (which it isn't) then the gloves come off.

This is after all LS1tech.

But to get back on topic here you go:

Get the LS1 and never look back. With just a few basic bolt ons you can hit 12's. Full bolt ons and you got a shot at 11's.

Good luck with whatever car you decide to get.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

If you can afford it, go with the LS1.

It's as simple as that. Every argument that exists can be tossed into the mix, but newer tech will win hands down.

As easy as it is to say a LT1 can be built faster than a LS1, a 4 banger craptech can also have that done, so that argument is moot.

You already sound like the LS1 is your preference, so being as the engine you want, save up and wait for the right deal. Anyone that convinces you to "settle" on something you don't want will make you end up regretting your decision in the end, and in the final analysis, it's your money and it's your choice.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

yep, just like i had to settle without T tops.

but that will all end when i dremel the roof off and put em on myself

Originally Posted by SladeX

You already sound like the LS1 is your preference, so being as the engine you want, save up and wait for the right deal. Anyone that convinces you to "settle" on something you don't want will make you end up regretting your decision in the end, and in the final analysis, it's your money and it's your choice.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Banned

I am tired of "LT1's are meaner off the line". They are not, they jsut dont have **** on the top end so their bottom end feels strong. Kinda like someone who curls what they bench and only curls 100# (2 handed) They have an ok curl but a **** bench. So their curl SEEMS huge. (I mean poor top end in relation to LS1). Here are jsut a few road-tests from magazines. I know, different, but its fair as they were all driven by people who had the same seat-time in that particular car.

http://members.aol.com/kts8888/autos...cfirebird.html
Old 11-08-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed with BLKWS.6 and Darrenls1.

People that compare LT1 to LS1 obviously haven't owned both. I have, and I can honestly say theres really no comparision.

LT1 is very respectable car. I had a full bolt-on car that ran pretty good. I owned it for 6 years so I had my feel for it.

Just recently, I got my 98 SS w/ a lid and catback. With the lid and catback, the LS1 would have outright MURDERED my old LT1 which had full bolt-ons.

LS1 also respond better to mods. Headers + LS6 manfold really woke the car up. (I know, been there - done that; not just hear-say)

Just get what you can afford. Both are killer vehicles for a good price and can be super fast for fairly cheap.

But if you can, get the LS1 - no doubt!

P.S. The LT1 is definatly not meaner off the line!