General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What is "streetable"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is "streetable"?

I have been reading about cams and everyone says that one isn't very streetable or this one is. What do you concider streetable? Whats makes a car streetable or not?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It's very much personal. Like asking what is large or what is heavy.

There are some rules/guides you can follow. Less streetable setups tend to have poor idle (maybe even stall often), be a complete bugger to drive in traffic or at low speeds, surging, spluttering, rediculas mpg. Very cammy, meaning that it will be dead below a certain rpm then suddenly very violent once it comes on cam. Excessive noise, heat, vibration, fuel requirements, rpm range (if you need to keep it above 5000rpm to make the most of it, then on the street it will be hard work).

At what level all of these factors become important is up to you and what you use the car for. If you drive a 100 miles a day in it, in all conditions, heavy traffic and lots of stop and go conditions then you want something that is fairly friendly and easy to drive. A milder cam such as a TR224/224 would probably suit better, combined with some awesome heads it will still make greta HP.

If the car is used for far less milage and in better driving conditions and you are more tolerable to something a little extreme then a wilder cam like a TSP V3/MS4 TR Trak or even a Trex could be used. All of these cams will have a lumpy idle and will require a very good tune to have good street manors. They will also be more of a beast to drive. Ultimatley they will produce more HP and should be faster in a straight line.

BUT - in the twistys or lower rpm conditions they may be a hinderance due to where they make the power.

Think hard about your character and the intended use of the car. Personally I like extreme OTT setups but I know it's not for everyone. Forced induction is often a great option as you can retain full stock like driveability but make monsterous power.

Cammed or h/c setups tend to be a little wilder if you are shooting for big numbers.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A non-streetable cam story:

As you sit at the stoplight the car shakes violently at idle and almost allows you to hear the firing of each piston as it struggles to stay running. Pedestrians were a bit concerned when the light turned yellow because they noticed that your brakes didn't seem to be functioning properly. The total lack of vaccum at idle has turned braking into an adventure second only to your gasoline bill. Now the engine stalls, and the air reaks of unburned fuel. Soccer moms roll down the window of their mini-van and try to yell over the noise, attempting to inform you that your car needs a tuneup. You fire it up again, and blip the throttle to clean out the cylinders. The soccer mom quickly rolls up her window to keep the fumes out and to slow the bleeding from her ears. The light turns green, and you attempt to pull forward. The car is now bucking like a bronc, and you almost rear-end a Civic as you attempt to keep it running. Finally, the engine RPM rises above some magic number, and stumbling engine quickly smooths out. The engine screams as the ***-end breaks loose, and out of the corner of your eye you see a mother grabbing the hand of her son on the sidewalk to protect him. You realize that you are now going over 100 M.P.H. and there is another stop light ahead! You say a quick prayer and reach for the emergency brake...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Launching!

DD: drive it everyday, IE: your wife or girlfriend can drive it, maybe
streetable: drove to the race track (or car show)
Non-streetable: trailer to the race track
Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

For me it's simple: Streetable = Street Legal.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnnyC

As you sit at the stoplight the car shakes violently at idle and almost allows you to hear the firing of each piston as it struggles to stay running. Pedestrians were a bit concerned when the light turned yellow because they noticed that your brakes didn't seem to be functioning properly. The total lack of vaccum at idle has turned braking into an adventure second only to your gasoline bill. Now the engine stalls, and the air reaks of unburned fuel. Soccer moms roll down the window of their mini-van and try to yell over the noise, attempting to inform you that your car needs a tuneup. You fire it up again, and blip the throttle to clean out the cylinders. The soccer mom quickly rolls up her window to keep the fumes out and to slow the bleeding from her ears. The light turns green, and you attempt to pull forward. The car is now bucking like a bronc, and you almost rear-end a Civic as you attempt to keep it running. Finally, the engine RPM rises above some magic number, and stumbling engine quickly smooths out. The engine screams as the ***-end breaks loose, and out of the corner of your eye you see a mother grabbing the hand of her son on the sidewalk to protect him. You realize that you are now going over 100 M.P.H. and there is another stop light ahead! You say a quick prayer and reach for the emergency brake...
That keeps driving an interesting experience for me, idk about you though

Other notables:
-Idle vibrates enough to set off car alarms down the street. Or makes change in the cup holder rattle enough to be annoying (2 cars behind you)

Originally Posted by giant016
Lame
Old 11-01-2006, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

A streetable cam story:

you had a typo, let me correct that for you.

the car was on the road wasn't it?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

To me streetable is any car that can pass the local inspection/emmissions tests whether the parts on it are "street legal" or not. For example, LT headers are illegal for street use, period. In all 50 states. This is because to use LT's you have to move the stock cat location which is illegal and violates some federal mandated rule about polution controlled vehicles. You might still pass a sniffer test if you put after market cats on and in some areas all you have to do is get hooked up to a diagnostic computer and not be throwing codes.

In my area they don't even do a visual on cars built after 1996. They just hook it up to the OBDII port and if your not throwing codes you pass. I'm lucky in that I drive my car less than 5k miles per year so I'm emmisions exempt anyway.

As stated above this is really a matter of personal opinion but any car that can pass local inspection and emissions tests is "streetable" in my opinion.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Streetable means that you can back it out of your garage, drive it down the road to do a few errands, have it back home a few hours later with nothing breaking and in one piece.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris93266
you had a typo, let me correct that for you.

the car was on the road wasn't it?
Ooops, I guess you are right! Just learn how to deal with those pesky brake issues, and take some driving lessons...
Old 11-02-2006, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

haha good story though. it does remind me of my car when it was untuned. i still get the gas smell(true duals with bullets) and loss of low rpm braking.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats hillarious

Old 11-04-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds pretty driveable too me. I thought that was normall? Did I miss something?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what about the backfire at downshift that leaves gangbangers diving for cover lmao
Old 11-05-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by giant016
Originally Posted by Zymosis
Lame
I actually meant what another poster said, in that if I can get plates for it, it's streetable. Remeber, it's not illegal if you get away with it.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
Streetable means that you can back it out of your garage, drive it down the road to do a few errands, have it back home a few hours later with nothing breaking and in one piece.
I sometimes cant do that with my Daily Driver.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Streetable to me is being able to drive a few hundred miles and not break anything, overheat, stall out, or burn an unneccessary amount of gas. (A bolt-on car, mild h/c car, or low boost supercharged or turbo car)
Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is now bucking like a bronc, and you almost rear-end a Civic as you attempt to keep it running. Finally, the engine RPM rises above some magic number, and stumbling engine quickly smooths out.
i always love that part.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

When you can bust all your buddys bubbles at the drag strip until they swear that you got to be spraying it. So you open the hatch and show them that the only thing back there are 2 folding chairs, an air compressor, air gun and 8 Budwizers cooled to perfection. And then you crank up, turn your air on and make a beer run, come back, wait 20 mins then go bust there asses again. Now thats a street car! No urge to surge and the hooker catback has it so quiet that unless you kick it no one is the wiser.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

JohnnyC: Sounds like a poorly tuned engine.

That said, a streetable car is one that passes cop inspection of wipers, lights, turn-signals. Other than that, it's what the driver can tolerate. I drove the wheels off a 541hp carb'd, small-block Ferd with a .680" cam. Lumpy: YUP! Cantancorous: YUP!

A blast to flat pedal and instantly change lanes.... unintended? HELLLLLL YEAH!

JMO

SC-