General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My LS1 died (oops)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Get a fuel pressure gauge ($50 at most part stores) with an extension so you can mount it behind your hood by the cowl. Drive the car and see what it reads. My mom's Buick had the exact same issue a couple weeks ago. Seemed to drive fine, then all of a sudden she was driving and it just died. The fuel pump was only putting out 20-25 PSI. It would run and drive above 23 PSI but below that it would just die. Have them check out your short and long term fuel trim as well. If it's a fuel problem, the long term fuel trim will be a positive number (i.e., on my mom's car it was +16%) Keep in mind, if you need a fuel pump it's not going to be cheap to replace. The pump itself is reasonable, it's the installation that will kill ya. I had it happen on my old LT1 Formula and lucky for me, the previous owner must have had the same problem because they cut an access hole right above the sending unit and took it out through the hatch. I don't advocate cutting your car up, but if you're on a budget it may be the way to go.
My tech will do it for me. I forsee it costing $100. (this same guy did an auto to manual swap for 2-300 on my mustang GT and a EFI to carb swap for around 200.) What all IS involved in it, I know dropping the tank is, but that shouldnt be hard...should it?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Considering that stock RSX Type-S's run 14.8 @ 95MPH, its hard to believe that an intake, header, and exhaust can gain you a full second and 8MPH in the 1/4, thats a huge difference. Sounds like someone gave you some optomistic numbers.

After owning an LS1 I don't see how you could ever be happy with a buzzy 2.0 4 banger with no torque, but as they say, different strokes for different folks
Eh, in all honesty I would trade right now for an APII S2000 hardtop with low miles. Not b/c I have a problem with my car now, just because I have always thought the S2K was neat as hell and enjoyed the time I spent in one in the past. Pretty much a hand built car from the same plant that builds NSX's. I like em'. I dont think they are "fast" or "powerful" but its a damn neat little car.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned

Oh, the Shop Foreman at GM said that they were going to pull every code in the car, stored,requested,current,whatever its got, they are pulling/looking at it.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

What is the going rate for installing a fuel pump? (intank)
Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
What is the going rate for installing a fuel pump? (intank)
$800 at GM. I called my mechanic and he does not feel up to it (eye surgery a while back) and I am hoping he will talk me through doing it. I have no $800
Old 11-27-2006, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Dealership is a killer, I'm sure that you can get it done alot cheaper than that.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
How hard is that to replace on the rear?
Its a front suspension piece. It controls the toe angle of the front tires, mine needed to be replaced, the inside of my front tires were almost completely bald. I didnt do it myself, took it to a shop.

EDIT: have you cleaned your MAF and throttle body?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like the RSX-S's. They are pretty fast after $1500 or so in mods (13's@103 or so is the norm for a K-pro/I/H/E RSXS). But I would like my WS.6 10x better than an RSX, provided I can get my car to work.
I dont want to argue, but have you driven one of those? I honestly doubt that $1500 will get you into the 13s, and can the drivetrain take the extra power? Either way, like I suggested in the old thread, if you want a new(er) car get a GTO, a 2004 can be had for $20,000 and their 13 second cars out of the box. If its dragracing you want, a FWD economy car is the last place you should be looking.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Eh, in all honesty I would trade right now for an APII S2000 hardtop with low miles....just because I have always thought the S2K was neat as hell and enjoyed the time I spent in one in the past. I dont think they are "fast" or "powerful" but its a damn neat little car.
S2000 =

Man, sorry but that's a chick car. IMO. To each his own though.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get this car running good.

did you ever think that the previous owner got rid of it from these problems happening to him?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I thought like you, my friend ran a 14.8@95 in his with a cai and catback and no tune. A tune and header put him at 13.9@101 with a **** driver (he has run low 14's at 103.X and I saw the timeslip and have witnesses) I know, tune does a SHITLOAD! for that car.
Any car you mod to make considerably more power than stock will break more often than a non-modded car. If you have problems dealing with the stress (both finanical and mental) of your stock car, then modding is probably not for you until you have greater resources.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

Guy local is pushing 450 whp out of a RSX without any driveline issues so far (months) and I dont think the type of car you drive determines your manlyness, lol if it does, you are in serious trouble.

I have not checked on the MAF, TB, bit if they were bad off enough to instantly kill my car at random im sure it would be doing funny stuff ALL the time.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
just get this car running good.

did you ever think that the previous owner got rid of it from these problems happening to him?
I have no idea.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Guy local is pushing 450 whp out of a RSX without any driveline issues so far (months)
That doesn't mean that everyone will be that lucky.

and I dont think the type of car you drive determines your manlyness, lol if it does, you are in serious trouble.
LOL, sounds like someone is trying to defend the girly S2000.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your other thread is back I just locked it.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guy local is pushing 450 whp out of a RSX without any driveline issues so far (months) and I dont think the type of car you drive determines your manlyness, lol if it does, you are in serious trouble.
Ok, theres no way that the stock halfshafts and transmission can take that...
I have not checked on the MAF, TB, bit if they were bad off enough to instantly kill my car at random im sure it would be doing funny stuff ALL the time.
MAFs are pretty weird, you might have a broken wire, or a very dirty one. Mine was pretty grimmey, after cleaning it the car idled better and the engine was smoother, I couldnt belive it.

My car has randomly died before, but it turned off, like I just shut it off or something. The battery was corroded really bad, cleaned it and never happened again. I couldnt tell until I took off the connectors, if you havent checked that, then you should.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Toxic Texan
Your other thread is back I just locked it.

I was not TRYING to kill the whole thing, but to be honest I wasnt sad when I saw it go, lol.

Whats wrong with the S2K? Also, how is it "girly"? Is the lotus Elise "girly" too? I mean, it has 50hp less and is even smaller and all that.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ok, theres no way that the stock halfshafts and transmission can take that...

MAFs are pretty weird, you might have a broken wire, or a very dirty one. Mine was pretty grimmey, after cleaning it the car idled better and the engine was smoother, I couldnt belive it.

My car has randomly died before, but it turned off, like I just shut it off or something. The battery was corroded really bad, cleaned it and never happened again. I couldnt tell until I took off the connectors, if you havent checked that, then you should.

I will check the MAF and clean it reguardless after GM pulls all the codes and hands the car back. My radio was still playing as I rolled down the street powerless. I doubt its battery related therefore.

How do I clean a MAF? Is that computer cleaner spray okay or do I need to use q-tips and alcohol? Basically...how much elbo grease needs to be applied to those wires? (I know NOT MUCH...)
Old 11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I will check the MAF and clean it reguardless after GM pulls all the codes and hands the car back. My radio was still playing as I rolled down the street powerless. I doubt its battery related therefore.

How do I clean a MAF? Is that computer cleaner spray okay or do I need to use q-tips and alcohol? Basically...how much elbo grease needs to be applied to those wires? (I know NOT MUCH...)
I always clean the MAF wires using electrical parts cleaner from Radio Shack and a Q-tip. Be very, very careful, basically use almost no pressure at all. Just let the Q-tip glide along the surface of the wires.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I always clean the MAF wires using electrical parts cleaner from Radio Shack and a Q-tip. Be very, very careful, basically use almost no pressure at all. Just let the Q-tip glide along the surface of the wires.

Okay, do I need to index the MAF when putting it back or just put it back like I took it off or do I need to even remove it at all from the car?

Quick Reply: My LS1 died (oops)