General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why is GC 0-30 so "watery"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006 | 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Yep, didnt have to look too far, have to replace both axle bearings now. These cars are pretty maintenance intensive! I didn't know what I was getting into I dont think when I got one, lol. Oh well, when you go fast, stuff wears out quick
Thing is, when you buy a used car you have to be prepared to fix some stuff. Very seldom will people get rid of a perfect running car. Usually they are in a position where they plan to get a new car soon anyway. And their current car is starting to show some early stages of an issue or two, so they trade it in while they still can prior to expensive repairs.

Just think about what you were planning to do had you not fixed the stalling issue.... remember? Trade it in. Then someone else would be fixing it. That's just the luck of the draw with used cars man; any make, any model can be afflicted. Even certified used.
Old 12-01-2006 | 04:49 PM
Banned

The axles were dead silent 3K miles ago when I got the car. It came to light AFTER I bought it. The IAC...well maybe that was before, but the axles showed NO signes until recently.
Old 12-01-2006 | 07:16 PM
Tech Resident

Everyone is misunderstanding I'm not worried about it, just curious WHY! The mobile 1 cools the same amount...
yes, but the mobil 1 10W-30 is thicker when cool. that is why.
Old 12-01-2006 | 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

BLKWS6....everything will be ok! I was almost the same with my GTP when I first got it, make everything perfect so I dont have to worry about it later(and a lot of "what was that noise", "is that normal", etc) and now buddy, after almost 3 years ownership and 80k mi....I really dont care about it, it gets just enough to keep it running properly and thats all....nothing more. My WS6 mind you gets treated very well(only Delco parts, kept stock), but to be honest, unless im gonna keep the car til im 90(prob will with the WS6), its getting fixed when something is about falling off or banging louder than Peter North.
Old 12-01-2006 | 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
yes, but the mobil 1 10W-30 is thicker when cool. that is why.
Old 12-01-2006 | 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
BLKWS6....everything will be ok! I was almost the same with my GTP when I first got it, make everything perfect so I dont have to worry about it later(and a lot of "what was that noise", "is that normal", etc) and now buddy, after almost 3 years ownership and 80k mi....I really dont care about it, it gets just enough to keep it running properly and thats all....nothing more. My WS6 mind you gets treated very well(only Delco parts, kept stock), but to be honest, unless im gonna keep the car til im 90(prob will with the WS6), its getting fixed when something is about falling off or banging louder than Peter North.

I can hear it over my radio depending on how loud I crank it (loud enough to hear the **** weak speaker crackle, lol)
Old 12-02-2006 | 12:43 AM
Banned

I would guess it had to do with the property that makes it slick, soit doesn't stick to anything.. including your dipstick.
Old 12-02-2006 | 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
I would guess it had to do with the property that makes it slick, soit doesn't stick to anything.. including your dipstick.
Hopefully this technology doesnt work with main bearings
Old 12-02-2006 | 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man you are soooooooo paranoid. You can't tell **** by how slippery, thin, thick, etc, an oil "looks".

If you really want to know what is going on, take a sample and send it off to be analyzed. /Thread.
Old 12-02-2006 | 05:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Man you are soooooooo paranoid. You can't tell **** by how slippery, thin, thick, etc, an oil "looks".

If you really want to know what is going on, take a sample and send it off to be analyzed. /Thread.

I just asked a question put of curiosity. Its like you telling me im a hypochondriac because I got a physical before playing basketball in highschool. Dang
Old 12-02-2006 | 03:02 PM
Banned

Hopefully this technology doesnt work with main bearings
No, the anti-wear agents adhere to metal surfaces to prevent wear in areas prone to metal to metal contact like main bearings. Those additives are there for "boundry lubrication" where oil is squeezed out from between moving parts in high load areas. You won't see that situation on a dipstick. Don't overanalyze everything. You'll worry yourself into hating your car. I did that with my Grand National.
Old 12-02-2006 | 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
No, the anti-wear agents adhere to metal surfaces to prevent wear in areas prone to metal to metal contact like main bearings. Those additives are there for "boundry lubrication" where oil is squeezed out from between moving parts in high load areas. You won't see that situation on a dipstick. Don't overanalyze everything. You'll worry yourself into hating your car. I did that with my Grand National.

My dipstick is metal, lol, point taken. GC works, so I wont question it.
Old 12-03-2006 | 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
its synthetic thats why. and 0W is thin as it is so itll attack the bearings quicker.
Originally Posted by redramair98
if not mistaken wouldnt 0 be the thinnest oil u can get, and it wil thin as it gets hot
These posts are incorrect guys.

The first number is simply the oils cold viscosity number. The second number is the viscosity at operating temp. GC simply flows better at 0*c which means the oil will get through the engine more quickly when you first start the motor on a cold morning. GC is actually considerably thicker at 100*c than mobil1, and offers much better protection, as shown by countless oil analysis results. Running GC 0w30 in no way will accelerate bearing wear as compared to Mobil1 5w30 or 10w30. Infact, its exactly the opposite.
Old 12-03-2006 | 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

The axles were dead silent 3K miles ago when I got the car. It came to light AFTER I bought it. The IAC...well maybe that was before, but the axles showed NO signes until recently.
Take a look at the tires:wear, balance, shape, etc. After reading these threads about your car issues, I think you failed to recognize something...these are Hot Rods, dude. Nothing more or less. They ain't Honda's, Euro-cruiser's, or anything else. They are meant to go fast, and they do it quite well. ANY car that goes fast, will require extra attention and maintenance..Porsche, BMW, even a Honda. The difference is cost of the vehicle, and the cost of the repairs. Start breaking things on a Bimmer, and we'll talk cost...Enjoy it, and when it breaks, fix it!
Old 12-03-2006 | 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

I finally took the GC 0W30 plunge!, and have to say, the car sounds slightly quieter, but feels a lil more loose(freer moving) when accelerating. Mind you I only did the oil change and took it for a quick 4 km run....i like it! now if only the summer would come again! and the oil seemed to somewhat stick to the dipstick!
Old 12-03-2006 | 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
I finally took the GC 0W30 plunge!, and have to say, the car sounds slightly quieter, but feels a lil more loose(freer moving) when accelerating. Mind you I only did the oil change and took it for a quick 4 km run....i like it! now if only the summer would come again! and the oil seemed to somewhat stick to the dipstick!

Overall, GC has quieted my car down, thats for sure. I like it. I just wonderd about the drippyness of it, thats all.
Old 12-03-2006 | 06:26 PM
Banned

My dipstick is metal, lol.
Missed my point. You won't see boundry lubrication on the dipstick. It's more of a hydrodynamic lubrication state there.
Old 12-05-2006 | 01:09 PM
Launching!

you answered your own question:
yes, but the mobil 1 10W-30 is thicker when cool.
mobil 1 10w30 is thicker then 0w30 when cool/cold..your comparing a 0 weight oil to a 10w oil..heating then up is a different story...they now are both 30 weight and should be relitively close in weight....understood that by nature the gc is slightly a thicker 30 weight vs the M1

Quick Reply: Why is GC 0-30 so "watery"