General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C Question

When I bought this car over the summer, the A/C blew ice cold. About a month or two ago, the A/C started progressively getting less and less cold. Now, at this point, the A/C doesn't seem to be working at all. It comes out just like the outside air, and is just as humid as the outside air as well.

Does anybody know if this would be caused by a leak somewhere, or is the the symptom of a certain A/C component going bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am about to go to an A/C shop and I don't feel like getting ripped off for whatever B.S. they throw at me, I know NOTHING about Air Conditioning components. I have yet to pay less than $500 at any A/C shop for any A/C repair .
Old 11-30-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

More than likely leaking freon.. Mine did the same.. It leaked slowly over couple months.. I just kept re-charging it.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

It's low on freon. Get it recharged and dye added. Then when it gets low again, go back and they'll find where the dye leaked out.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

90% of the time its coming from the compressor. It leaks from the seal where the front and the back connect, chevy compressors are the worst made, Im a a/c tech so trust me, I work on chevys more then any other car.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could get a can of R-134a from an autoparts store and recharge it. It will probably leak out again though.