General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Birds Love The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree my tires are f-in dog **** in the snow and i learned the hard way very hard..**** im goin to sleep and tommorow ill see what else i fucked up
Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01FireTurd
im really pissed off right now cause about 20 min ago i was driving to my friends house and hit some ice,lost control poped over the curb put a hole in my tire and ****** put a big a scrape in my passenger rocker panel,not to ****** mention the scrape slash hole in my ****** k-member. all i can say is im not ****** drivin my car till is in the mother ****** 60s here
Ice is the worst. Snow tires do make a big difference but it's just not worth it to drive a rwd car with alot of power in these conditions. You are taking a big risk.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:01 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Hmm.....good question
I've only technically seen snow one time. I was born in 88 which was the only time it's every snowed in Florida. I was born in Febuary and it snowed it December so I was 10 months. Not to mention I was told it was barely any snow at all. Other than that, no snow. I don't really care much, because I hate the cold. Most likely because I've lived here my whole life. It's nice and today it's easily 65 with a slight breeze. Snow, ice, cold, screw that. Granted we do have the extreme opposite problem. Summers here are 95+ degrees with 80%+ humidity every day.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I've only technically seen snow one time. I was born in 88 which was the only time it's every snowed in Florida. I was born in Febuary and it snowed it December so I was 10 months. Not to mention I was told it was barely any snow at all. Other than that, no snow. I don't really care much, because I hate the cold. Most likely because I've lived here my whole life. It's nice and today it's easily 65 with a slight breeze. Snow, ice, cold, screw that. Granted we do have the extreme opposite problem. Summers here are 95+ degrees with 80%+ humidity every day.
Thats why I like AR. The summers aren't really that bad maybe 100, and the winters, we get enough snow to make a talk about it, but then it melts the day after. the four seasons are great here.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
89 GTA w/ super torquy L98 + Bridgestone Blizzacks + no weight in rear = best snow car I've ever driven.

I've had a FWD n/a Eclipse and a couple Neons for snow duty and they were ok, got through everything, but the GTA was definatly the best. That was for only one winter, and we'll see how a Miata w/blizzacks handle the snow.

My 2002 on dedicated snow tires (235/45-17" Dunlop Graspic DS2's right now) goes great in the snow. I've not had any issues at all, ever. The torsen diff works well in the snow. It might be what it's best at.

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Damn all you southern guys. I HATE the winter and snow. Being they have a limited slip differential, I'd imagine if you were careful they aren't HORRIBLE cars in the snow, if you are careful. Probably better than my Jimmy in 2WD.
They aren't bad at all. If you get to central Ohio when it's snowing, look me up, I'll take you for a drive and show you. It's actually shocking how well a lowered 350 hp, RWD car on Koni's will go in the slippery stuff.

Be safe out there guys!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's snowing out there RIGHT NOW!!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Ice is the worst. Snow tires do make a big difference but it's just not worth it to drive a rwd car with alot of power in these conditions. You are taking a big risk.
Honestly, this is a misconception. I drove my bird through Chicago blizzards and it was perfectly safe. It's a question of having the right tires and driving slow.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by XalanGR
Just had my first snowy experience in the T/A. Eagle F1's all around, and couldnt be happier. Felt like a little tank going through a vietnamese swamp. Its really not as bad as I thought it would be. I live in the chicagoland area by the way. About a foot of snow/sleet.
it's good that you found your bird can handle the snow, but please, DON'T GET OVERCONFIDENT. yes, if you baby the car, you can drive it in the snow, but don't forget, it's still a bad car to have in icy conditions. 60/40 weight distribution, rear wheel drive and low ground clearance is NOT a good combination for icy terrain, and one little mistake can turn into a 180* skid into a tree. please, be extra careful, and don't let your good experience make you forget. be scared in the snow for safety's sake. you could have a million good experiences, but it only takes one bad one to negate them all.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 1cleanbird
Thats why I like AR. The summers aren't really that bad maybe 100, and the winters, we get enough snow to make a talk about it, but then it melts the day after. the four seasons are great here.
What are seasons? JK

All we have is 9 months of swealtering hear followed by three months of freezing cold. Although this year has been freakishly warm.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
What are seasons? JK

All we have is 9 months of swealtering hear followed by three months of freezing cold. Although this year has been freakishly warm.
Florida has freezing cold?

I have to drive the ss in the winter.. well for this one atleast and I feel sick in my stomach everytime I take it out. But oh well doesn't seem its gonna be a bad winter.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by shiv15
Florida has freezing cold?

I have to drive the ss in the winter.. well for this one atleast and I feel sick in my stomach everytime I take it out. But oh well doesn't seem its gonna be a bad winter.
Actually yes. You'd probably be suprised how cold it gets here in Jacksonville. I'll always remember the day after I got my eclipse GST. I spent all day cleaning it when it was around 40. The next day I get up and leave my house around 6:30am to go to school. When I went out I looked at our thermometer and it said 28. I get in the car and try to turn the heat on and I get blasted by freezing cold air. Ends up the heater didn't work.

We get many freezes each year. The end of December, January and, the beginning of February are always cold. Granted we don't hit like -15 degrees, but 28 is cold. Especially when you're used to sweltering heat all the time.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

its bad enough drivin my car in the rain... i couldnt imagine driving it in the snow
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

i have to say, driving an under powered rwd car is not to bad. my nissan 240sx isnt bad at all. i can drive through just about anything that isnt over 1 foot high. thats when my car bottems out and i got major one wheel peeling going on. if you drive slow enough with decent tires, it shouldnt be that bad.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Teching In

I have had my Bird in the snow once maybe twice since the 383 went in. Wow talk about fun with a big stall and **** loads of torque one wrong press of the throttle and "Hey why is the tail passing the front end?"

Yeah Fun in the snow thats what the Jeeps for, BAR NONE best damn snow vehicle I have ever driven 33"s of fresh snow unplowed streets 31" tires and never got stuck once and pulled out about 8-9 people in one afternoon. 3 of them being 4x4s themselves.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadBird383
I have had my Bird in the snow once maybe twice since the 383 went in. Wow talk about fun with a big stall and **** loads of torque one wrong press of the throttle and "Hey why is the tail passing the front end?"

Yeah Fun in the snow thats what the Jeeps for, BAR NONE best damn snow vehicle I have ever driven 33"s of fresh snow unplowed streets 31" tires and never got stuck once and pulled out about 8-9 people in one afternoon. 3 of them being 4x4s themselves.
I want a Jeep
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

they are a freakin blast, great in the winter, unbeatable in the summer, cool as hell at night with the top down or off depending on wether you have the hard or soft top on. Nothing like a vehicle that can tackle 3 feet of snow and then just as nicely be a fun convertible and the doors come off. Although I have the full doors and they are a little bit heavier, but still no biggie. Would love to pick up some half doors for summer time.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Tech Resident

yea pretty much any 4X4 with 31" tires and a lift kit is good in the snow