General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What do you do when you hit your goals for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006 | 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

i know some guys who start paying atten. to there wives finally

when i didnt buy anything for my car in a 3 month period i found out i had, had a girlfriend for the past 10 months
Old 12-02-2006 | 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

What do you do when you hit your goals for your car?
Have a beer..........
Old 12-02-2006 | 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good stuff.
Originally Posted by staringback05
i know some guys who start paying atten. to there wives finally

when i didnt buy anything for my car in a 3 month period i found out i had, had a girlfriend for the past 10 months
Old 12-02-2006 | 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Enjoy it til you decide on the NEW goals for it
Old 12-02-2006 | 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Enjoy it til you decide on the NEW goals for it
EXACALATCALY....
Old 12-09-2006 | 05:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
Why oh why would you want a roll cage in your car, but not a rear-end or new clutch? Those things come WAY before that cage will be needed. Also, as for some goals once those are done, here are a few possibilities. Suspension, rear-end, bigger cam, forged internals, forced induction, engine swap. Tons of options for these cars are out there, but you will need the supporting mods to get them done. Another thing I think you could set up is, do everything yourself. This would add a lot more value to your car than if you had it done at a speed shop. Just remember, take it in for a tune once you do it all...
Maybe you should actually get an LS1 before giving out advice...
Old 12-10-2006 | 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 560SL
Maybe you should actually get an LS1 before giving out advice...
Why? The advice he gave is true with most cars, not just cars equipped with an LS1. I would agree with him where he stated that the trans and rear will need to be done first. Hell, I didn't even get to run my car ONCE after the heads/cam went on. The trans only had about 25K miles on it and started slipping like CRAZY on the dyno. Sometimes they just can't handle that much power... mine didn't even one time. So there went money for a built 4l60e.

And to piggy-back on what was said earlier- there's no way you will get all that done for anywhere close to $4,500-- honestly. I discovered a good way to tell how much something is going to cost (car-wise) is to add it all up, then multiply it by 1.5-2.

And to the guys saying that a cam is missing from his list; he already has a TR224, which is a great daily driver cam, IMO.

To answer the OP's question; I never reach my goals. The closer I get, the more I raise them. I have never been content, only close. Goodluck with whatever route you decide to go with that beautiful car.
Old 12-11-2006 | 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Try to enjoy it for as long as possible. Then up the cubes and set new goals for the new motor
Old 12-11-2006 | 06:05 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
going to try to enjoy a heads/cam car next year. by 2008 all the sponsers should have out their ported L92 heads/L76 intake combos out, and I'll build a 414 stroker from a LQ9 block to slap them on and go for 600rwhp N/A! Should be a relatively cheap build too.

id luv to do the same
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah man pull that motor out, pickle the thing and then drop in a 427 on some nasty cam and go to town, really hit 1000 hp and then just drop the thing or do like me.....( i haven't really started doing anything) I started with paint, rims, tires, and ironing out all of the body work and then began replacing all of the high traffic items, seats, floormats, switches, bezels, trim, *****, etc, and got together all the original stuff that comes with the car! Those things are cool, I can't wait till I have it looking almost brand new. You can keep spending money on it and enjoy it more and more. Don't quit! Not with that many mods, unless you have alot of dough and track experience! In which case if you do have a lot of money, go get an LS7 and lead the way in showing all of us a how to on getting one in there, and if nothing else call me and I'll strap a nice charge of C4 on it and send it on it's last run and go out with a bang.....choose anyone of these options. Or hell go buy an 07 z06! WHOO HOO....no hard feelings on this site no matter what you do though, I just don't think I'll ever reach my goals! (i'm really an optimist though)
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nomorews6
I have been thinking about this a lot. Generally for me, the bar is set really, really high. So high as a matter of fact, I don't feel comfortable in driving it anymore. This is not the case for this car. What happens when you get to the point where you reach all your goals with the car? Are you just happy? Need to try something else? Set different goals? Here is what I want:

Heads
Headers
Intake
Spray
Roll Bar (one that will allow for my boy to sit in the back)
Pro Stars
Lowered for the "right stance"
cd player
last of breed badges
pontiac rear inlays

And ultimately ... to get an 11 second n/a pass and 10 second spray pass ... without having to touch the tranny or rear.

If I play my cards right, all of this would be around $4,500 ... then ... done! Jeesh ... $4,500 is a LOT of money. Maybe I'll knock off the spray
Well I can tell you right now you'll be replacing broken parts for sure.

I blew the gears out of my rear differential on my LS1 TA with only 375rwhp and some drag radials... The car only had ~25k miles on it at the time.
Old 12-15-2006 | 10:48 AM
9 Second Club

Yea when I first got my car my goal was a 12 second daily driver....ah that didnt last long, then I wanted 11s.....then I wanted 10s...
If someone had told me 2-3 year ago that the car would be where it is with a 402 LS2, th400, 9", etc. I would have laughed in their face! Now Im debating on a large turbo or nitrous...gotta get the money together though.

After the 402 was in the camaro I told myself I was done with it! So I bought an 02 Z06...its starting all over again. I told myself OK JUST intake and exhaust....well now that 228/232 cam that I had in the ls1 in the camaro is looking real nice sitting on the shelf in the garage. After that cam makes its way into the Z06 Im sure ill be saying ok if I can just get that new clutch and heads and supercharger Ill be in 10s no problem....

Its never gonna end!!
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I hit my goals for my car, I'll start getting new clothes and more haircuts. I cut back alot of expenses for my car........
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

I thought about this thread the other day and I realized its the same as when anybody else gets a goal (whether that be in sports or whatever). Make another goal before the other team does... or you lose!!
Old 12-16-2006 | 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the record my nuts are not that pink and I dont have a little man suckin on them. With that said Vic just got Hoe'd by Demaracus Ware. Hit goal, make new goal, and repeatan en espanol for a twist.
Old 12-16-2006 | 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Red WS.6
For the record my nuts are not that pink and I dont have a little man suckin on them. With that said Vic just got Hoe'd by Demaracus Ware. Hit goal, make new goal, and repeatan en espanol for a twist.

mod mod and mod some more
Old 12-16-2006 | 08:13 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

For everyone that tells him to replace his clutch.. remember he's got a 3500 stall. If my memory is correct thats an automatic. He'll probably see the 11.9 on motor, but I don't see the rear and tranny holding on much longer after the giggle juice is poured in her for 10's. Though you never know, it might hold up longer than expected.
Old 12-17-2006 | 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alt
For everyone that tells him to replace his clutch.. remember he's got a 3500 stall. If my memory is correct thats an automatic. He'll probably see the 11.9 on motor, but I don't see the rear and tranny holding on much longer after the giggle juice is poured in her for 10's. Though you never know, it might hold up longer than expected.
His sig wasn't posted when he made the thread and no tranny was stated. I said a rear/clutch in case he did have an M6.