General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Swap to auto and regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manuals impress high school kids
autos win races
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an A4 and i can cruise light to light with my hand on my girl's leg. lets see you M6 guys do that! for me, an A4 is alot more casual. i can putt around softly if i want to... while eating a burger... or drinking a soda...
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORK?
i have an A4 and i can cruise light to light with my hand on my girl's leg. lets see you M6 guys do that! for me, an A4 is alot more casual. i can putt around softly if i want to... while eating a burger... or drinking a soda...
yea, god-forbid we focus on driving while driving
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Teching In

I bought my car as an auto and now with the Stage 3 build up (more than one over 5 years and the Vigilante 3200 rpm stall it is an awesome tranny. I would still like to have a M6 for the sheer fun factor since the car doesn't see the strip all that much anymore.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
yea, god-forbid we focus on driving while driving
This is America where driving is about 5th or 6th on our list of things to do while we are behind the wheel of a moving vehicle.

Duh!!

If it means anything my A4 is no longer in my posession let alone in the car.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
let me fix this for you.....
there you go........
Oops, Sorry. Thanks for the correction!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bww3588
which do you like? can you deal with bumper to bumper with a clutch? its all up to you.
Well I have been driving 6 speed f-bodies and vettes as daily drivers for the past few years so yes I can deal with it

It's just a tough decision for me, because I can totally see both sides. I have never had an automatic f-body or vette before, but there are things I like about them...easier on the 10 bolt, more consistent at the track, little simpler to launch. After racing our '07 trailblazer SS last week, I started thinking maybe an automatic isn't so bad. I have been racing my M6's for the past few years and it's not always easy. I'm always fiddling around trying to find just the right rear end gear, just the right tires, and then again there are still so many variables of launching, how fast you let the clutch out, how high you rev the RPM's to...oh yeah and then you've got to decide which clutch to go with in the first place, which can be a headache. The idea of just stalling & going is appealing.

Heavy traffic doesn't really bother me, I drive the formula every day in bumper to bumper for 45 minutes with a spec 3, I just kind of got used to it. I never really see the 6 speed as a hindrance, I just want to see what the other side of the fence is like.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Then go for it....if you track it alot, you won't be disappointed. This is one debate that neither side will ever win. In your case, you'll have both A4 and M6 vehicles to drive, so you can't go wrong.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its just one of thoes opininated things, an M6 can be just as fast as an automatic at the track given the right driver. if you want to see how green the grass is on the other side, then go for it. your not losing anything. if you dont like it, convert.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

I've driven manuals all of my life. Only had two automatics in my life and didn't want my camaro to be an A4 but I fell in love with it at the delearship and had to have it. I'm an impulse buyer and couldn't wait to shop and find a manual. I really regret it now because of the fun factor. I really get bored driving the auto sometimes but to each his own.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

autos win races
Amen. Even though I drive a 6 speed car.

My car grinds into 4th on high rpm, wot shifts. It sometimes kicks out on me as I let the clutch back out. I think I might go to auto this winter. Still kicking it around.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I wanted an M6, but I also had to have a Formula - no T/A - with certain options and a good color, so when one came up, I took it even though it was an A4. I haven't looked back much.

I guess I'm AC/DC about it. When I drive my brother's M6, I love it. Then when I get into my stalled A4, I love that. Same with my 69 GTO's. Which one do I like best? The one I'm driving.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Specialized
Amen. Even though I drive a 6 speed car.

My car grinds into 4th on high rpm, wot shifts. It sometimes kicks out on me as I let the clutch back out. I think I might go to auto this winter. Still kicking it around.
Ever think maybe, just maybe the reason your transmission grinds is because it has something wrong with it?? Thats like saying "my auto slips under high RPM shifts and won't upshift sometimes, must be normal"

Obviously there is an internal problem with your trans, whether it be synchros, shift forks, whatever. A brand new or rebuilt transmission won't do that.

So instead of going through the trouble, spending thousands of dollars, and dealing with all the issues of swapping to an auto, why don't you just spend the money and have your M6 rebuilt instead?? Then it would be like a brand new transmission, no issues, no bullshit, just like new.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aaron653
autos win races
Ever notice that just about every car ever made, in the history of automobiles, has been faster in the stick shift version than in the automatic version??

Sure, you can make the auto just as fast by spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on stalling it and having the trans built, but then again you could go just as fast in a stock M6. I don't see the point, unless you are a serious drag racer.

Autos are good for drag racing ET's and consistancy. Thats it. You launch it and floor it, simple as pie. They put down less power at the wheels, are less fun to drive (subjective, but come on), can't run road courses, get worse fuel economy, are more expensive to buy, wear out faster than manuals, and are more expensive to maintain and mod.

You say "manuals are for high school kids" to make yourself feel better about buying an auto, just face it, manual is the only way to go in a true sports car.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Ever notice that just about every car ever made, in the history of automobiles, has been faster in the stick shift version than in the automatic version??

Sure, you can make the auto just as fast by spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on stalling it and having the trans built, but then again you could go just as fast in a stock M6. I don't see the point, unless you are a serious drag racer.

Autos are good for drag racing ET's and consistancy. Thats it. You launch it and floor it, simple as pie. They put down less power at the wheels, are less fun to drive (subjective, but come on), can't run road courses, get worse fuel economy, are more expensive to buy, wear out faster than manuals, and are more expensive to maintain and mod.

You say "manuals are for high school kids" to make yourself feel better about buying an auto, just face it, manual is the only way to go in a true sports car.
my thoughts exactly....
+ i like being able to do 90+ on the freeway barely turning 2k rpms... while still having 3:42's
Old 12-07-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

I think it is fun driving an M6. If it bothers you to shift and clutch in traffic or what not, you shouldn't be driving you girly man.. haha Say "girly man" with an Arnold voice. I got an M6 because I have a street car. If I were to build a track car, A4 ftw.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

here we go lol

(although I agree)
Old 12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Damnit, I could have sworn I warned about his not being an 'auto vs. manual' thread.
TransAnimal - he didn't say manuals are For highschool kids, he said manuals Impress high school kids, like yourself...
Old 12-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

transaminal- in a real race car in drag race the auto's are faster don't kid yourself. In stock form yes manuals may run .01 better but you put a stall in the auto and your manual is toast in a drag race. Once you get into a low 10.00/high 9 sec. car you would wish it was an auto because driving a fast stick car and getting the most out of it is a little harder than you may think. This is fact not just what i believe. I have had both and love both. The manual is funnier to drive the auto is better at the track.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

I like the auto better the stall is the only thing that annoys me reving around 4K all the time. but it is a whole new animal at the track.

Quick Reply: Swap to auto and regret it?