General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Former Ford faithful?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the numbers seemed low. The car trapped 98.54 with a lot of wheel-spin on the 1-2 shift and take-off. I dunno. Mustangs are just slow as **** unless you stroke them or go FI. Cant be helped.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Comparatively, in my Mustang I have to have the seat all the way back to be comfortable and I am 5'11". In the Formula there is a lot of room to spare. You'll fit just fine in an F-body.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Yeah, the numbers seemed low. The car trapped 98.54 with a lot of wheel-spin on the 1-2 shift and take-off. I dunno. Mustangs are just slow as **** unless you stroke them or go FI. Cant be helped.

Not all N/A stangs are turds, just most of them LOL. I guess the 4.10s were hurting you on the track, but I bet they were bada$$ on the street
Old 12-12-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Comparatively, in my Mustang I have to have the seat all the way back to be comfortable and I am 5'11". In the Formula there is a lot of room to spare. You'll fit just fine in an F-body.
Glad to hear that, I also have to have the seat all the way back to be comfortable, and even then I some times get a little cramped if Im in my car for a long period of time. How is the trunk space on your Formula in comparison?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Launching!

My buddy has a 99 GT nice car but very different from an F-body....im 6'5 and I have pretty good room in the fbod, my knees whack sometimes when I catch myself slouching , and when I sit way up strait my head hits the t-top's. Just go out and test drive one.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

It would be a safe bet to say that half of the LS1 owners have owned or still own a Mustang. I've had three Mustang GT's myself ('90,'96,'06) and they are good cars. The LSX engine is just much more receptive to mods, and easier to work on however. I really wish Ford would build a pushrod 351ci that was all-aluminum and competed with the LSX, that would be kick ***. The mod-motor is a compromise engine, it doesn't really do anything extremely well.

-physically larger than an LSX
-heavier than an LSX
-less cubes than an LSX
-less fuel efficient than an LSX
-less HP/TQ than an LSX
-more difficult to work on compared to an LSX
-less aftermarket for internal engine parts than an LSX

Overall, the Mustangs have always been a slightly better chassis, with slightly better build quality, but the F-bodies have more potential under the hood. Now that the f-bodies can be bought very cheap on the used market, the bang-for-the-buck is awesome.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Trunk room is decent, but it's oddly shaped. Either of of the cars can carry a full load of groceries home, but the Mustang has a better trunk for larger/bulkier items. Although... I can put 2 BMX bikes in the Firebird with the seat down no problem.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

not to kiss *** here but nine ball says it well.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of power does your mustang make? And what kind of times/traps does it pull?
I've owned 5 mustangs including a 88 GT vert, 91 GT, 87 GT T-trim, 94 GT S-trim, and a 01 GT with a T67 Single turbo.
The most powerful of the cars would have to be the 01 GT Turbo and even it only pulled mid-low 12's at 115'ish... That being said with around 440HP/500TQ. And when I'd go to the track LS1's with less power well pulling better times and traps. Its all about power under the curve. You wouldn't believe the feel of a 400whp LS1 compared to a similar weighing 400whp blown stang.
I sold the Turbo mustang before summer, and am getting ready to buy a Z28 here the first week of January.

Overall after owning many mustangs and riding in both this is what I can conclude:
Get a Mustang if you want:
A more refined interior
Better sound system (mach460/1000)
Smoother ride
Are obsessive over FI systems
Want a more solid car with less vibrations

Get an Fbody if you want:
A much better track car
Much more powerful car
Much more potential
Ttops are fun as well
Want to run low 12's/high 11's with bolt ons

My main thing about the Fbodies is the interior specifically the Camaro's, being less "put together" than the mustangs. Just look at the steering column, dash, big bulky doors, trunk...
HOWEVER, the firebird has a much better interior in my opinion and nicer stereo...
BUT: Either one's perfomance aspects make up for the loss in any other area that the Mustang seemed to outfavor the F-body in.

Back on track - How much power, and what kind of times are you running on your S-trim'd Stang? Bc more than likely you're not going to get as much of a "downgrade" in power as what it may seem like. Power "under the curve" is where it means the most, and typically is not there on most FI cars...

Hope this helps a little, I've been a diehard Mustang fanatic but don't feel I'll have any regrets in switching over, and am eager to do it!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by not7fifteen
What kind of power does your mustang make? And what kind of times/traps does it pull?
I've owned 5 mustangs including a 88 GT vert, 91 GT, 87 GT T-trim, 94 GT S-trim, and a 01 GT with a T67 Single turbo.
The most powerful of the cars would have to be the 01 GT Turbo and even it only pulled mid-low 12's at 115'ish... That being said with around 440HP/500TQ. And when I'd go to the track LS1's with less power well pulling better times and traps. Its all about power under the curve. You wouldn't believe the feel of a 400whp LS1 compared to a similar weighing 400whp blown stang.
I sold the Turbo mustang before summer, and am getting ready to buy a Z28 here the first week of January.

Overall after owning many mustangs and riding in both this is what I can conclude:
Get a Mustang if you want:
A more refined interior
Better sound system (mach460/1000)
Smoother ride
Are obsessive over FI systems
Want a more solid car with less vibrations

Get an Fbody if you want:
A much better track car
Much more powerful car
Much more potential
Ttops are fun as well
Want to run low 12's/high 11's with bolt ons

My main thing about the Fbodies is the interior specifically the Camaro's, being less "put together" than the mustangs. Just look at the steering column, dash, big bulky doors, trunk...
HOWEVER, the firebird has a much better interior in my opinion and nicer stereo...
BUT: Either one's perfomance aspects make up for the loss in any other area that the Mustang seemed to outfavor the F-body in.

Back on track - How much power, and what kind of times are you running on your S-trim'd Stang? Bc more than likely you're not going to get as much of a "downgrade" in power as what it may seem like. Power "under the curve" is where it means the most, and typically is not there on most FI cars...

Hope this helps a little, I've been a diehard Mustang fanatic but don't feel I'll have any regrets in switching over, and am eager to do it!
My sig is a little deceiveing, instead of a few other goodies it should read a f'ing **** ton of other goodies LOL. My car has a fully built/forged motor, plus every bolton you can imagine(to lazy to right out everything), SC and intercooler. The car needs some fuel system upgrades to run its full potential, but on 12# of boost it made 496 rwhp and 441 rwtq. With the internals of this car I could easily run 15+ boost, but I need to upgrade some other things first (if I keep it). I have never taken it to the track, so I dont know what kind of time I would run. My street kills so far have been a single turbo Supra(bpu+ 16# of boost), A vortech/bolt-on 04 Mach 1, and a cammed(dont know specs) 99 Vette A4 Vert.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Also beat an A4 Z28 from 70-105 by 1 car
The car trapped 98.54 with a lot of wheel-spin on the 1-2 shift and take-off.
I'm guessing you beat an LT1 Z28 in that race? Even my stock A4 LS1 cars have always trapped 104-105. Should be more than enough to kill a 98mph car from a 70-105 roll race, unless the LS1 was having issues.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well that makes a bit mroe sense to me in the "downgrade" department. I remember back when I had my 94 5.0 thinking it was hot-**** and got rolled by a A4 WS6 with a lid...

I had a S Trim at 7psi, mildly ported heads, B cam, 3.73's, full exhaust, and the works for that set up and he'd outlaunch me and steadily pull.
My Mustang didnt have a great tune by any means but I figured I should put at least a few cars on him. After 80mph it was no contest. WS6 ftw.

Then my friends bolt on only WS6 was beating me at the track in my Turbo mustang... Kinda puts you in a reality check. Blower definatley is no replacement for more cubes. Once again - power under the curve
Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

I think the biggest problem on these 4.6L is the stroke. There is too much for it being a SOHC. They really didn't take advantage of the OHC set up.

I, personally, like all different makes. Mustangs are very nice. They are a lot more solid than an f-body. The rear-end is something you will grow to love.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm guessing you beat an LT1 Z28 in that race? Even my stock A4 LS1 cars have always trapped 104-105. Should be more than enough to kill a 98mph car from a 70-105 roll race, unless the LS1 was having issues.
Nope, it was an LS1. I made him pop the hood and SHOW ME the LS1

ALSO...this could have been b/c he was stuck in 3rd at 75? I dont know, but he got rolled on. This was also pre-carburetor, but I dont think it made any difference as I ran neck and neck with a truck that trapped around 100 and when I ran the truck, his timing was off.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Nope, it was an LS1. I made him pop the hood and SHOW ME the LS1

ALSO...this could have been b/c he was stuck in 3rd at 75? I dont know, but he got rolled on. This was also pre-carburetor, but I dont think it made any difference as I ran neck and neck with a truck that trapped around 100 and when I ran the truck, his timing was off.
If it was a 3.23 car, then 75 is somewhat of a dead spot. It will in fact stay in 3rd (1:1 ratio). That's the only explaination that makes sense.

However at a 70mph punch (actually up to 75mph+ I beleive) mine will go back to 2nd. I'll put $500 down right now on the fact that even my basic/near stock air lid/catback 2.73 auto would kill a 98mph trap car from a 70-105 roll race. No question in my mind. Unless your car was running more like 104-105mph at that time.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-12-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

I think it was the 3.23 issue.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by not7fifteen
Ok, well that makes a bit mroe sense to me in the "downgrade" department. I remember back when I had my 94 5.0 thinking it was hot-**** and got rolled by a A4 WS6 with a lid...

I had a S Trim at 7psi, mildly ported heads, B cam, 3.73's, full exhaust, and the works for that set up and he'd outlaunch me and steadily pull.
My Mustang didnt have a great tune by any means but I figured I should put at least a few cars on him. After 80mph it was no contest. WS6 ftw.

Then my friends bolt on only WS6 was beating me at the track in my Turbo mustang... Kinda puts you in a reality check. Blower definatley is no replacement for more cubes. Once again - power under the curve
Really? Thats interesting, I know a guy with a 95 Cobra with an E cam with all supporting mods, LTs, OR H, Flows, 4.10s, some suspension stuff and on the street he can pull on a 99 Cobra with bolt ons(I would think a drivers race with a stock A4 LS1 most of the time). On the crappy factory wheels/tires, he ran a 13.7x at Commerce. He now has a new clutch, new wheels, and DRs and he should be able to cut a good amount off that time. This is all NA, if your car was tuned, I would think you could have beat him.
*EDIT* Sorry, I was just corrected, he ran a 13.98 with all those mods, then a 13.77 with the DRs and clutch. My bad LOL.

Last edited by SilverStang00; 12-13-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

its cool...
In my Strim 94 I was only running low-mid 13's at just over 100 with around a 1.9 60' on 17'' DR's

Either way I got owned
Old 12-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned

Yep, for an FI mustang (2V) to win it better be a 99+ with 8PSI or more and some support mods.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I've owned 4 Mustangs and 5 F-bodies. Right now I have both an LS1 Formula and a 4.6 Mustang. I like both but my Formula feels more like a musclecar. The Mustang has a higher seating position and feels more like a typical commuter car. I am sure that is why they sold so much, but when I want a performance car I want it to feel like one.
I couldn't agree more, never owned a stang but considered one before I got my TA. The feel of the interior I felt like I was in my mom's Tempo! The GM's wrap around you. Makes you feel like your in a fighter jet. GOOD STUFF...