General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Scammers pretending to buy my car, good laugh

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scammers pretending to buy my car, good laugh

************* always trying to tell me that someone from Canada on an oil rig wants to buy my car. I've heard examples on this forum about people sending cashiers checks for more than the car is worth and then the seller is supposed to send back some cash.What should I do??
Ignore it, tell hime to go **** himself for wasting my time, or give him my info and see if the check clears? What are the consequences for me accepting his check? Here is the Email:

Greetings,
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to confirm your payment before getting back to you. I have discussed about your vehicle with my in-law, before he made a business trip out of the country. My in-law is from Canada. He has finally accepted to go on with the price and hopes the engine is well serviced because, he can't wait to see the vehicle parked in his garage.
However, my in-law made out a certified cashiers check of ($14,000) Before he traveled to Germany on a crucial business trip, the amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle, tax, the pick-up of the vehicle from its present location and the shipping charges /other Necessary Shipping arrangements. However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction. So you're required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ($7,300) and send the balance of ($6,700) to my Pick-up agent via money gram Transfer to enable him offset shipping charges /arrangements. Once the transaction is concluded and the check clears my fore man will be coming for the Pick-up of the vehicle from its present location, on an open vehicle and then Drive to a pre-paid shipper for shipment, and also conclude other Necessary shipping arrangements. So you don't have to nuisance or bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements, while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via any courier service to my in-law.
Please confirm the above explicit information and provide me with Legal Name, Address and Phone Number for check payment to be delivered to you via the fastest courier service. Thanks and compliment of the advent season!!!
Barry

NB: Consider your vehicle sold to my in-law. I look forward doing business with you.

Below is my in-law's information that will be in the Title:

Harrie Vredenburg
Supervisor
Baker Hughes Drilling Fluids
1300, 401 - 9 Ave. S.W.,
P.O. Box 6780, Station D
Calgary, AB Canada T2P 2E7
Old 12-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Launching!

It's the classic scam. Best thing is to ignore and delete, however if it makes you feel better to tell them to go fxxx themselves by all means go ahead and do so.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell them okay and to send the check. Just burn it. It will cost them considerable time to forge a cashiers check, and if it doesnt, checks DO cost money, Kick their *** for $.20 + postage! OWNED!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Tell them okay and to send the check. Just burn it. It will cost them considerable time to forge a cashiers check, and if it doesnt, checks DO cost money, Kick their *** for $.20 + postage! OWNED!
Good call, but I feel sketchy about giving out my name and address if I know it's a scam. Is there any way I can be held liable for accepting the cashiers check. I've read something about this, but don't remember how I can get screwed.

What an assclown though, who would beleive that someone would pay double a cars value to get it shipped to Canada. What, don't they have dealerships in Canada. Our freaking T/a's were built in Canada.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh!!! Get them to have someone meet you, then have them beat over the head with a tire iron.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Just ignore it, you'll be seeing a lot more of these if you posted your car up on craigslist.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

I will tell him to cash the check himself and send me cash money in unmarked bills, see how the ****** likes that.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Criagslist is only good for the FREE section. What a pain in the *** these people can be.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TryingT/A
I will tell him to cash the check himself and send me cash money in unmarked bills, see how the ****** likes that.

HA!! Do that!!! I would.....
Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

These guys are fucked, sounds VERY sketchy, dont give out your personal info, God knows what they can do then. The thing is these guys (drill/oil pipeline workers) do have cash, but this doesn't sound 100% reliable. Canada does have an F-Body market, but its like a 10% market when compared to the US....even though they were made here! But you can't buy modded example up here(well at least in TO) as often as down south. GL with the sale!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

It's my Caddillac STS that's for sale, but my T/a is on autotrader too. I'm not selling my T/a anymore, but don't wan't to take it off autotrader because I paid for the "run till it sells" option, so I just ignore inquiries about the T/a until the day that I become mentally retarded and sell my baby. This is probably the 5th time I've recieved a "Canada scam", but this guy tried to hard for me not to get a good laugh out of it.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

When my Camaro was for sale I got about 6 of those emails in the course of a couple months. It was rediculous. Dont ever put your car on ebay, thats where alot of them originate.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TryingT/A
Criagslist is only good for the FREE section. What a pain in the *** these people can be.
Unfortunately you are right. Anything at a $100. or more and you get a ton of scam payment artist emailing you. I had a bunch of parts on there and even my wifes car. I eventually sold them but only to locals. All the scammers want to hide behind a fake email address or a stolen cell phone number and only want to do shipping of some sort. Bunch of bastards, hell is waiting for them.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

report it to the feds.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Launching!

bombard his email account with gay ****
Old 12-20-2006, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWaaa?
that would be fun. better yet make a gay **** site and put his e-mail in it.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same thing off craigslist. I was renting out one of my condos and had a guy send me an email with all sorts of his info for me to run a credit check and so on. Long *** story short he sends me a cashiers check for $6500, 3k more than the 1st month and security deposit. He calls me and asks for 3k back to be wired western union. I went along with it just to waste his time, then i had some words with this scammer on the phone. Beware these ******** are out there.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LSWaaa?
so basically all he has to do is give him links to the western section when a pointless topic is made...
Old 12-20-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the guy that sold me my first ss had the same thing happen to him, except they sent him $80k!!! then the bank called him and told him the check was bad. the guy then called and asked why he had not sent him the difference, and the seller told him to **** off.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Somebody on here told a scammer he'd do the deal but they had to send the check overnight express because somebody else had cash in hand right then for the car. This scammer sent a "cheque" from Nigeria . Must of cost a small fortune for that. The seller then thanked scam boy for a nice wall trophy ( he framed the check) , and said if he wanted the amount left over , contact the authorities ..... The scammer must have been spitting nails over that one!