General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What's the stupidest thing you have done working on a car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was on a pit-crew for a dirt-track modified car, and everone assumed that the other guy had checked and filled the radiator with water. Well, a couple laps into the race we overheated and cracked a head. That whole "assumed" thing will get you everytime.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy was changing his g/fs oil (its a new subaru) and drained the coolant instead oof the oil, put 5 new quarts of oil in. Started it up and wouldnt you know it, something seemed off! No damage to the car but he did have to buy about 100 bucks more new fluid and pout everything back where it was supposed to be. I wish you guys could of heard the freaked out voiocemail he left me when it happened, i thought someone had died He got so lucky... she had only owned it for four months
Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Teching In

many knicks and bruises to the knuckles...

My dumbest moment.... In 99 I bought a new camaro. could only afford the 6cyl at the time though. but anyway I had it in my apartment garage giving it its first oil change. I put the car up on ramps, pulled the plug and filter. I then replaced the filter and my cell starts ringing. Well I was waiting for a girl to call. We were supposed to be headed out that night for a date. So I slide out from underneath the car and grab the phone. It is her and she tells me what time to pick her up. I hang up and grab the quarts of oil. I dump in the first one, get it all in and start on the second, well about half way through the second one, I realize that I forgot to put the drain plug back in! So I hurry and look underneath, thinking "Please god, tell me I did put it back in" as i look underneath I see a huge mess on the floor and whats left of the oil draining out. DOAH!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Teching In

This thread is making me feel a lot better. Worst damage I've done to my car is breaking off bolts; 2 caliper bleed valves, a few lug bolts on an old POS diesel jetta, and some misc. other stuff.

My body has not faired so well.

Wrench slipped off a bolt, back of my hand hit 1st sharp object, skin/flesh gone from the back of my hand, look down, see bones cool scar.

Drilling hole to mount hitch, laying on my back, metal flying everywhere, metal lands in eye. 3 trips to an eye doctor & couldn't see out of my left eye for 2 days.

car makes strange grinding sound after AutoX. Quickly strat checking everything out. Forget that brakes get hot, grab hot rotor with bare hand. Skin melts away - more cool scars

add in normal knicks and scratches and I figure there is enough of my blood in my car to consider it a close relative.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

oh ****, breaking caliper bleed valves make you want to punch yourself in the face. especially when its the last one you need to bleed.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
oh ****, breaking caliper bleed valves make you want to punch yourself in the face. especially when its the last one you need to bleed.
just a little trick with Wilwood calipers, the bleed valve sits in an insert so when you break off the bleed valve you can take out the insert and don't have to mess up the caliper. it just happens that the insert is the same size as the bleeders from the OEM vette calipers, so those work too
Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright this one should coun't.

I got an 87 Z28 with a rebuilt carb (damn this thing had ***** for a 3rd gen). The genious' that did the card decided to use one of those sponge Edlebrock air filters sitting on top of the carb. I kept hearing from people that they go on fire easily, but I was too stupid to do anything about it. One day after I lent my friend the car I get a call that it is on fire on the Belt Parkway. I finally got to it and the whole top end, electrical and intake was burnt to a crisp , so I did what any aspiring tuner would do, I took it back and rebuilt it.(mechanical carb, dist. etc .)

... Anyway in the process of finishing the intake manifold I dropped one of those nice thick manifold bolts into the hole for the distributer. As it dropped in it sounded just like something out of a Warner Bros. cartoon (DWOP!) I guess that it made it straight to the bottom of the oil pan because I never bothered removing it and the car ran great.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

lets see when i put my cam in and i put the harmonic balancer on the tool that tightens the harmonic blaancer broke inside of it and it took about 4 hours to get it out with and easy out, felt so dumb after that
Old 12-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Teching In

install powerdyne supercharger
Old 12-28-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

This should make you cry it's so stupid.

Did the same with the oil plug in my first ride, an 87 chapaing & mocha nissan maxima. The difference, I put all the oil in before I noticed the oil slick running outta the back. My dad was pissed that I ruined the drive way. I had to walk to hi/low to get more oil.

Stupid human trick number two... jacking up my 02' ta (in 02') on the oil pan creating another oil slick, this time in my apartment complex. I asked my ole man where would be a good place to jack the car up, on the oil pan he says... he's a mechanic. I think he was paying me back. I heart oil spills!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled the pushrods checking for bent ones about three years ago. Then about two years ago when we were putting my cam in we pulled the pass side valve cover off and realized I left the 8mm socket sitting on one of the rocker arm bolts. It was under there the whole time. We all laughed pretty good.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

I had just finsihed doing my brakes and because I had ground effects I would always jack one side of the car at a time. I let down the drivers side and to do the passenger side I always have to pull off the top half of the jack handle so it will not hit the garage wall since it's a tight sqeeze on that side. As a result I am always taking out and putting back in that bolt that connects the two halves of the jack handle.

Well I'm down on my knees pulling the jack out from under the car and I forgot I had the bolt out and as I pulled the handle it came apart and the short end went Mike Tyson on me and busted me just above my right eye. I never even saw that thing coming. I just felt incredible head splitting pain, was seeing f'n stars, and just felt blood dripping down into my eye. After about 2 minutes of jumping up and down and saying $@#4 @#$%$ %$#@$ the pain and stars went away and I grabbed a clean rag and wiped the blood off. Okay that wasn't so bad, so I go look in the side mirror to inspect the damage and there's just a huge gash perpindicular to my eye about an inch long right through the eye brow. A half inch lower and I probably would have lost my eye. Luckily... I ended up with only 7 stitches and a week of answering questions of what happened to you.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Bolted my Timing cover on forgetting to put on the Cam retainer plate.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Last fall i took my 99 in to have an alignment while i was at work and when i went to pick up the car they told me i needed a tie rood end before they could do it and in two hours was a car show i had to be at. so when i got the car i drove to the auto parts got the part flew home, like a 20min drive, flew into my garage in a hurry slamed on the brakes got out ripped off the front tire and grabbed the rotor to turn it and u can guess what happened burnt all five fingures on one hand and my palm on the other , its something about the sizzling and smell of burnt skins that makes me want to kick my car right in its mechanical ***** needless to say after my skin bubbled and fell off i still managed to get it back together, wash it, and make it to the car show.

Last edited by lineybiker_11; 02-17-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Ouch......that hurt just reading that.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

I Once Got a " FORD " Tempo as a winter car. Thats Got to Be the Biggest Mistake Ive ever done with any car. Oh ya I Leaned on a car when it was on a jack. But then again we've all done that . . . Right ?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:03 PM
NKAWTG...N

Hmm wasn't on my car was on SilverGhosts. We were putting in the Th400 and the jack slipped out that was holding it up. His arm was in like litteraly the only spot where it wasnt crushed by the trans. And luckily the trans wasn't hurt either. That would have sucked.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

haha retired my TA from daily driving duties and filled my 6.0 powerstroke with about a gallon of gas before i caught myself. yea i'm a dumbass
Old 02-17-2007, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I had a '77 F-150 4 wheel drive me and buddy were tinkering with. Just bought a Holley street avenger carb to put on it. WE got it on the 400 and were going to take a test drive. My friend had cracked my fan shroud in the process (I was so excited to drive it I didn't think much of it). Got on it hard a block or 2 from my house and hear this noise. I was like wtf! I roll another block and hop out to see what? Fan shroud pieces went through my radiator! LOL

Then one of my buddies had this late 70's 4 wheel ford pickup we were working on. Didn't have a grill on it at the time and we were doing something to the engine and I was giving him hell about something. He threw a socket at me and missed and hit his radiator and ruined it. Haha good times.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dropped a intake bolt down into the flexplate area......hmmm

Quick Reply: What's the stupidest thing you have done working on a car?