General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

scariest accident/close call

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my camaro, I was turning left about midnight. It had just rained for the first time in weeks. I hit a slick area and did a 360 and drove it out like nothing happened!

2 days ago in my TA, there was a car that pulled out right in front of me as i'm doing 50 mph. I couldn't move b/c curbs on both sides. I locked the brakes and swerved around the idiot in the intersection. Luckly, they stopped half way in my lane. That was the only time i've ever felt I was gunna slam in to a car. I was pissed!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine happened to me when i was 16. just got my first car a 1979 z28
it had some 15" torque thrust d's on it. centers were beat up. so i masked off the lip and shot em black. well i didnt cover the brake rotors. and they got a coat of paint. 2 hours later a freind shows up in his new dodge ram indy sst!.
he wanted to race me . we drove around a few mins and found a nice straight spot. we both hit it. i barely get him. we start coming up on a stop sign. i hit the brakes and the car wouldnt stop. so i drop the car into 1st gear and the car locks up the rear wheels and spun out in the intersection. luckily no cars were around. could of been a lot worse had someone been crossing the intersection!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

About 4-5 months ago I was coming home from a friends house. I had a few to drink, not a lot but Im sure this had some to do with the accident. Anyway I pull off the main black top high way onto a gravel road cause I had to ****. I drove down the road about a mile to get away from the highway. Do my business start heading back. Im going about 30. I decide I want to take my wallet out of my pocket. So I kind of stand up in the car, more leaning back in the seat Im looking down at this time not paying attention to the road. Then all of a sudden Im in the ditch. Im like WTF how did this happen. I get stopped and Im like **** what do I do now. I notice its not that steap so I try driving out and I see a guys place is not to far away so if driving out doesnt work Ill just drive up in his lawn and drive out his driveway. I try about 2 times getting out with no luck then Im like **** it Ill just drive in this guys yard. I get some speed up and say Ill try one more time to get out. I got out. I stop and get out and look at the car. I was one lucky SOB because all I broke was one of the mud flaps off. That was my scariest. BTW it was not a F-body.

Ive also had a few close calls when I was younger driving when the roads are slippery. I mis judge how much room I need to stop and slid right through a stop sign. Thank god nothing happened or cars were around.

One time, also when I was younger I hit some black ice and lost control. I was completly perpendicular to the road faceing one way then I over corrected and faceing the other way perpendicular to the road again then I went in to the ditch also perpendicular to the road. It was pretty scary.

Now that Im a little older I have learned a lot form those situations. Im glad they happened(except the first one I explained that was just stupid) because now I think I am a better driver because of it.

Last edited by BLK85; 12-30-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lets see, I took a 60k 05 Lexus SC 430 out on a test drive. I didn't mess with any of the buttons, the owner had traction control and the ect set on power. It had bald *** tires and it was raining out, sounds like a good combo to me . Anyways I was getting onto the highway and gave it less than half throttle, next thing I know the *** ends slidding all over the place. Bald tires being no help I end up coming about 1/2" from colliding(sp?) with the little white markers on the side of the road, I ended up sitting the wrong way on the on ramp. During the slide I'd managed to knock it into neurtal so the motor didn't stall. I put it in drive and pulled off to the side of the on ramp let the two cars that pulled up behind me go and drove back down the on ramp straight back to the dealership and had the service writer sell new tires.

It wasn't that bad other than the fact that I was driving a 60k customers car.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=HotWhipT/A]In my camaro, I was turning left about midnight. It had just rained for the first time in weeks. I hit a slick area and did a 360 and drove it out like nothing happened! QUOTE]

I had the same thing happen to me except I wasnt lucky. I hit a slick spot in my 99 Z28, did pretty much a u turn and whacked a light pole pretty hard. The airbags went off and my car was totalled from it. The really crappy part was that on both sides of the pole were driveways. The pole had about a 3' length of curb on it. I still get pissed every time I take the same curve.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Awhile ago, I took a few friends for a ride in my car. I wasn't trying to do anything to impress them, except for one time I opened it up on a long straightaway.

I was just going turn around in a parking lot off of that straight strecth, but decided to go for a little longer cruise. We eventually came to a highway with some fairly sharp curves that I had run my dads old 924S through at pretty high speed. I had already taken the Z through there several times, so I thought I knew what to expect. I gave it about 3/4 throttle entering the highway, with the curves about 800 feet up the road. I took it to about 65 (the speed limit for the road was 55) and let off about 200 feet in front of the curve. The suggested speed for this particular curve was 40, so I thought I would brake it down a little and run 50 ish through the curves which I had done easily before.

I hit the brakes with a fair amount of pressure as I was easing into the curve, and I heard the back tires skidding, and before I knew it, I was sideways through the curve (the OH **** moment), with my car taking up both my lane and oncoming, and made its way to the ditch, hitting my front bumper cover into the embankment with the rest of the car sliding all the way around into the ditch. I looked at my dash when the car stopped and the first thing I noticed was the ABS INOP light on. Luckily no cars were coming toward me, which could have very easily killed me and my friends, and that I was able to pull out of the ditch under my own power. When I later had the brakes fixed, the shop asked if we had messed with the braking system, and we had adjusted my rear brake lights and fixed my turn signals as the previous owner had them installed incorrectly. They believed this was the cause of the brake lock up.

Worst of all, my front bumper cover and foglights are destroyed and I have a tear in my drivers side front fender from the impact. I had the body repair estimated and recieved a $2000 qoute for the full replacement and painting. It also took me four hundred bucks to fix my brake system and 215 to replace a tire and realign the front end. And I dont even have the car paid off yet .