General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Synthetic 20W-50

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hammertime
Windage, or oil splashing into the crank at high engine speeds, is the probem. If the oil level is that high, it can cause aeration or foaming that would lower the oil pressure (air is compressible, oil is not) and could eventually damage the internals if uncorrected. Lowering the oil level should not lower the pressure, unless the remaining oil volume got hot enough to change the measured pressure. Lowering the oil level should only prevent oil from being that high in the pan under higher rpms.

The real question is, how much oil is in the top-end when you are driving? I've heard the LS1 traps a lot of oil in the heads before it drains back, and that is one reason for oil consumption on cars with stock PCV that are not vented from the valley cover.

Is this true?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

German Castrol 0w30 would be your best bet, if you can find some...Mobil 1 5w40 or 0w40 are a good choice and easy to pick up at a local auto parts store. If you don't care to order some online, Amsoil 5w40 is great as well.

I use Mobil 1 cause it is a good oil and it's easy to get ahold of where I live.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went ahead got a PF46 Delco filter and 6 qts of German Castrol 0W-30.

Im not gonna fill it with 6qts anymore cause i think my crank is causing some windage and makin my oil thin (oil fluctuating)

Quick Reply: Synthetic 20W-50