General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Camaro vs Mustang (but not in a race)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007 | 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

And yes, I should have compared a '99 SS to a '99 Cobra and the Cobra will be more. Yes I realize there isn't always a huge price difference betwee the cars, I just didn't get why they were close because the Fbod seems to have much more to offer, as well as a higher MSRP. I get it now.
Old 01-12-2007 | 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

They charge more for mustangs because they want to make sure you make enough money to pay for all the future repairs that you will have with the car Joking but I usually see mustang GT's of the same yera and mileage about on par with most camaros of the same year and mileage, so basically its a pick your poison deal, whicherever you prefer.
Old 01-12-2007 | 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mac93
I wasn't talking about the demand, I was talking about the supply. With few GT500s and many people wanting them, the price is way up. If there are a ton of mustangs and the same amount of buyers, the price is not likely to be high. I wish I could go into a little more detail as I took 2 years of Economics (micro/macro) but I'm at school right now so I don't have much time. Both supply and demand play a part as to what the price will be for a certain car.

Dont worry man, i know exactly what ur saying, maybe a Z06 was a bad example, but dealers may mark up a GT more than a camaro, in thier particular area because people in that area are more eped to pay more for a mustang because they dont really know the differance between the two, and just remeber seeing thier freinds mustang or remeber the red one in the commercial or the the 20 they passed on their way thier with the nice sounding exhaust.
Old 01-12-2007 | 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
well, i would have to agree with Zfan88 on tthis one completely, their are way to many variables to make an assumption like that without some SERIOUSE research first. But in my persenal experiance ive noticed here in my area right now it seems f-bodys are a few thousand more than mustangs of the equivalent. This also seems to be in part, atleast in my area, because for every 10 dealerships i pass, thier are atleast 2 mustangs in each lot while in those same 10 dealerships i would be hard-pressed to find atleast 1 V8 powered f-bod.
holy **** dude... 1 word: spell check

Old 01-12-2007 | 01:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mac93
And yes, I should have compared a '99 SS to a '99 Cobra and the Cobra will be more. Yes I realize there isn't always a huge price difference betwee the cars, I just didn't get why they were close because the Fbod seems to have much more to offer, as well as a higher MSRP. I get it now.
simple... because there are a whole bunch of people who dont really know a lot about cars and who think the mustang is just as good, if not better, then the f-body who are willing to pay 13k for a 2000 GT.

but i see what your saying.... a car that comes stock with almost 90 hp more, responds much better to mods, and has a better suspension should cost more.

obviously i'm comparing a GT to a Z28 or SS. cobra's and stuff are alittle different. but then again, you cant really compare a cobra to a SS. its hard to really compare these cars, they are different in many ways. about the only thing similar is the fact that they are both "sports" cars.
Old 01-12-2007 | 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

In my area Camaros are alot more expensive than Mustangs. For example a 2002 Z28/SS with around 40k miles will go for 15k plus, with 15k being a good deal around here. That same car but a GT, with the same options and condition would be no more than 12k. No one around here drives Camaros, everybody and their brother drives a GT, thats one reason I want to sell mine, but even with a built motor with less than 10k miles and supercharged making 500rwhp, my car could sell at most for 17.5k, and thats stretching it.