General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How many former import owners converted to V8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a S13 240sx coupe that was my first car, looked like hell, i repainted it myself, shaved the emblems/antenna, cleaned it up ALOT, did all the appearance stuff and minor bolt ons, and then i put a down payment on a redtop SR20DET and got screwed by the shop, so i started opening up my options and started thinking about selling it for another car, almost bought numerous MR2's, MK3 supra's, 300z's, then i started looking at mustangs, then almost got an LT1 t/a, then i found my car and got it for an unbeatable price, and thats where i'm at now.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Teching In

I had a '91 300ZX TT before I bought my current Camaro. I have always had american muscle though. First car was a '89 LX 5.0 with the AOD tranny. I have actually had 4 300 Twin Turbos. Nice cars still miss the quality of it sometimes and it had over 400hp. I do love the power and ease of my 98 Z28. It's my 5th F body.

I also had a WRX for a short time. had about 360hp but it ate trannys like crazy. Would blow second gear evertime.

My GF also has a SRT-4. It's kinda importish. Kinda fast too. she wants to sell it and get a Mach 1 though.

Last edited by Shawn W; 01-22-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

when i was 16 i had a 94 Ford Probe GT 5 speed. was a cool car. i just took off the cat, put a muffler on it (no fart can), put a good clutch in with a 9lb flywheel, and a cold air intake, and it ran 14.9 at 93mph.

it was my daily driver, had leather interior, and i bought it for 1900 bucks with only 74k miles. it was a hell of a deal. i was the one that had the "fast car" at the age of 16 because i could beat pre 99 stockish mustangs. nobody believed that my car ran 14s either being as stock as it was.

heres my favorite race vs an auto 02 gt stang. he had me on r/t, i had him in 60ft, and we were almost dead even down the whole track untill the end he barely started to pull on me

http://videos.mistreetscene.org/cate...4096043916.htm

he was like "i couldnt get away from you, the damn thing is pretty quick"

i was never a big fan of imports, just fit my budget at the time, i hate bodykits and neon lights, and wings and all the crazy "make your car stand out" type of ****.

i respect clean looking imports, especailly ones the are quick for what they are.

but those days are over, and it seems like i need to be in the strong 10 second range to run with everyone now
Old 01-22-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My last car was a stock 98' Lexus ES-300 traded it at 104k for my 01' TA.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a 96 honda civic with a jdm h22a it was pretty fun and i beat a stock 98 cobra mustang! I sold it because all my cusins had z28s, vettes and gradnationals. When i went looking for my first car i was going to buy a 98 z28 but i couldnt afford the insurance so i got the civic. Then i got a 95 z28 automatic love the car but kept having rear end issues and i just got rid of it. Then i got a 88lx 5.0 police interceptor Then a 94 gt vert with a cam all 5 spds. Then i decided i wanted a 01-02 z28 i found this one and i realy like it. I wouldnt mind buying another honda product best cars made for the money just wouldnt hook another one up. I am a hard core Gm guy when it comes to building high horse power street car, they are just different.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I also own a 98 honda accord: Black on black leather, V6, euro lights all around, duel chrome cans, big loud amp and speakers, and small little visual effects here and there.

That being said, the car is still very, very fun to drive- there is a totally different vibe while driving this car. It is a great alternative to expirence every now and then!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Launching!

ive always liked muscle cars but in high school i had a 98 GSX Eclipse. 4 wheel drive, turboed 608 awp. yea it was a great car till it got stolen. cant say i miss it that much though. it just never felt right.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

Never owned an import. Never want to own a Japanese car, period. European cars like VW and Audi are nice though, I would love an '07 GTI 6 speed for a daily driver
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno if I count, but I traded a '93 Mazda B2200 pickup off for my '99 Trans Am... but I also owned a '02 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS and a '04 WRX STi at the same time I owned my Formula.

I think people are finally realizing that most imports are ******* lame. I'd own another STi, though, that car was a blast.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Had a 94 Integra, actually liked the way the car drove, but just not fun to romp around on at all...the lack of any sort of power down low made me bored with it real quick. Bought my 95 Z28 and now I've got my 98 SS and haven't had one regret.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

9 Hondas 1 integra 1 talon 1mr2 turbo...the scene isnt what it used to be. i started modding imports when i was 15 and that **** was unheard of. i remeber spaking a zr1 in a crx that was all motor. the mr2 was a 12sec car and absolutley beautiful....couple of the hondas were high 13s and the integra was a 13.4 with terrible 60ft and high traps speeds of around 113.

here some pics didnt want to bore you with all of them. have worked for honda/pontiac since 2000!! from lube tech - sales
Old 01-26-2007, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I've been attending SEMA and PRI conventions for the aftemarket performance industry for the last few years. I remember a few years ago, the "import scene" was the hot buzz item at those shows, and the floor was sprinkled in overdone import cars at the show. It seemed like every major manufacturer had something to unveil for the import performance scene.

However, in the last two years, we have noticed that the import fad has somewhat fizzled at these major conventions. Nobody is really trying to jump on the bandwagon anymore. More and more vendors are focusing on their roots, the V8 performance car. Now musclecars are the big thing, and every booth wants a badass 60s-70s musclecar on display.

How many of you readers were former import performance enthusiasts? What did you drive, and how much did you spend on it? Care to share with us the reason you left that market?

Please keep this thread mature, we want honest feedback. Anyone replying in a non-mature manner could end up getting banned.
I guess I'm a little bit oddball here being as I'm in the UK and not the US.

Car culture over here is a bit different, small engines are more the norm and we don't have the "ricer" culture.

What we have is far worse - Chavs.

Seriously you guys have no idea what ***** we have to put up with this side of the Atlantic. All they care about it making a car look horrible, make it handle like crap and have unusable power.

In essence they take what is an average hatch or family car and totally ruin it. This is what 90-95% of the mod scene is over here. All the mod shops and parts suppliers cater for only crap.

Want proof go take a look at Max Power magazines website. Or use Google to search for Chav.

Fortunatly I always disagreed with my friends and always wanted either a proper rwd classic or American muscle. Most just didn't understand.

However my first msucle car was actually a Britsh GT - Jaguar V12 XJ-S. It was fun taking my stock Jag with leather, air con and automatic out and wiping the floor with my mates Vauxhall Nova which he had totally rebuilt swapped the old crappy 70hp 1.4 engine for a modern 2.0 DOHC plus loads of other pointless mods like 17" rims which rubbed on the body work, no suspension and a TV (lol).

My side project was shoehorning a V8 into a Triumph TR7. Although it didn't happen on the first TR I had I managed it in the end. Still have it and it'll run with a Boxster S in the bends, not bad for a car older than me!!!!

Sure I've owned hot hatches with 2.0 litre engines, I've owned turbo 4 cylinder cars also. But this was thru circumstances more than anything.

V8 muscle rules!!! - PERIOD

Although a nice 10 or 12 cylinder engine is pretty good too

While I'm sure it's a challenge to mod these "imports" I personally feel it's a total waste of time.

Would be much more fun to take a light weight car (import or not, who cares really) and shoehorn a 427ci blown LS1 into it. It would also probably be cheaper than these idiots with Honda 2.0 litres engines and 12,000rpm red lines.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

I had a '92 Eclipse GSX with a lot of mods that I could run low 12's with. I raced my brothers '98 LS1 that is stock except for a lid, smooth bellows and catback. He beat me by a few cars both times we did rolling races and he is the type that likes to talk about it afterwards A LOT. What made it more painfull is knowing that he has ZERO mechanical ability. (He can't change his own oil!)

Even though I could have beat him easy enough from a standing start, I figured it was time to step up to a V8, so I could beat him anyway he wants to run. If I ever get mine straightened out and running right it is going to be a fun summer.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never owned and import and I never owned anything that wasn't rwd.

92 s12 2.5L 4tec
00 Mustang LX 3.8L
92 Camaro 305 RS
98 Sonoma 4.3L
00 Camaro SS 5.7L

I looked into buying several imports but I like to work on my own cars when and/if I have to and I'd rather work on a domestic.

However I haved helped a few friends work on their imports like installing cams in a few civics/crxs, pullies on a prelude, and engine swap in a crx. None of it was too hard and I never done it all by myself. Mostly I was the muscle for breaking torques on those big bolts lol.

I just personally like the way v8s sound which is why I never pursued a turbo or s/c with my v6 mustang or 4.3L Sonoma.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Teching In

i've had 2 imports... had a 96 accord with a v6.. wasn't really wanting to make it "fast".. just lowered it and threw some wheels.. i really like it very reliable.. then i bought my acura cl type-s.. put too much money into it.. i had full exhaust, lowered, pulleys, wheels... kept having too many problems out of my tranny though.. best i ran was a 1/8 in 9.5s.. i liked the car's interior and the way it handled... reason i got out of the sceen is because i have always loved ws-6's always wanted to own one, and when i ran across the right one i jumped on it.. you can make v6's and 4-bangers fast but they are just never satisfying like a big ballsy V8!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

i kind of started out with v8s then went to imports then back to a v8.

my first car was an 86 thunderbird aith a 5.8 351 that me and my dad put together. then i sold that since it wasnt in the least bit reliable, and got a 96 mustang(rattle trap) sold that car cause the tranny was going out at 60k miles! then i got a nice 99 accord for a dd then realized i didnt want a dd sold it and got a 300zx. had the 300zx for about a year then grew tired of it, and got a 97 240sx had that for about two months then traded that for a 91 240sx with an sr20 in it. totaled the 91 240sx when a truck pulled out in front of me. and figured it was time to get another v8 so i picked up imy 2000 trans am
Old 01-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
People def try to race more when im in the eclipse. Cant figure out why
Cause they aren't afraid of the Eclipse.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that was pleasant.

Traded my 85 Nissan 300ZX Turbo in for my Formula. The Nissan handled very well and had very good power stock, but would not launch worth a darn. Too much wheel hop. Really more of a GT touring car. Reliable, good ergonomics, but just not a V8. The Formula is more of a bear in corners, but still handles well if you wrestle it a bit more.