General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Sad about winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again glad to live in Florida, well at least for the winter.

We have this problem after hurricanes:

Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately my beater died on me, and I don't have a truck to borrow this winter, so I'm SOL if it ever decides to snow around here. Just had the second snow that actually stuck here in Illinois the other day, and I just got rides the past few days. Unfortunately I decided to take my car out a few hours ago because I thought it was clear enough. All the roads were fine, but when I returned to my driveway the combination of a slight incline and about a millimeter of ice prevented me from getting it all the way up and into the garage. That's what I get for not buying some $300 POS and having a long twisty uphill driveway.

Off to the store to buy some salt...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

i live in mass and i pick up my 2002 z28 tommrrow night and guess what, its gonna snow/rain. it hasnt snowed all winter. when i bought the car i said to my friend that went with me "watch im gonna get my car and its gonna snow" i should of kept my mouth shut.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:44 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A set of good snow tires will do more for you than anything else will. Put some Blizzaks on your car for the winter, and some extra weight in the back of the hatch, and you'll be fine. The typical tires you will find on an F-body are made for summer driving, and are positively awful for driving in snow. You might as well put skis on the car.

Originally Posted by styoung
i live in mass and i pick up my 2002 z28 tommrrow night and guess what, its gonna snow/rain. it hasnt snowed all winter. when i bought the car i said to my friend that went with me "watch im gonna get my car and its gonna snow" i should of kept my mouth shut.
I had that happen to me the morning after I bought my STi... hadn't had time to get snow tires for it, and it snowed 3" the next morning. I couldn't go anywhere for a couple of days, the factory tires SUCKED on snow.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good news guys, going next week, before the next scheduled snowfall to look at a 1996 Plymouth Neon!!!!! $400 bucks.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
good news guys, going next week, before the next scheduled snowfall to look at a 1996 Plymouth Neon!!!!! $400 bucks.
So the '83 Cutlass fell through? Too bad, I like those old G-bodies. Roomy cars that looked pretty good in coupe form (4-door cutlass was bland, IMO). And if it had the 307ci V8 then it'd be fun in the snow with RWD. Those cars are heavy enough that with snow tires you won't get stuck but you can have plenty of fun playing in an empty parking lot after some fresh snow. I used to do that all the time with my '86 Cutlass Salon.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
So the '83 Cutlass fell through? Too bad, I like those old G-bodies. Roomy cars that looked pretty good in coupe form (4-door cutlass was bland, IMO). And if it had the 307ci V8 then it'd be fun in the snow with RWD. Those cars are heavy enough that with snow tires you won't get stuck but you can have plenty of fun playing in an empty parking lot after some fresh snow. I used to do that all the time with my '86 Cutlass Salon.
yeah sorry, let me elaborate on that. i went to look at it. it turned out to be an 83 Delta 88. now, my uncle is notorious for trying to capatilize on peoples ignorance. this is the 2nd time he tried it on me. it had 180k miles not 80k miles, it lacked the 6th digit on the odo.......anyways, it had more holes in it than Clinton's Monica Lewinsky speech and ran like fresh dog **** down a frozen sidewalk. but by God he was going to sell it to me with no warranty and a "garuntee". im not buying his story. the only good thing to come of today, was i found a 1968 455 Rocket engine forsale in Lancaster. picked it up for 100 bucks. gonna build the hell out of it for ***** and giggles. i ran the numbers and it was in a 1968 Cutlass. im happy for now.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my car two winters ago with 4.11 gears. I had 3 60# sand tubes in the t-top well, and shift gears at 2-2.5k rpm, when on slick surfaces.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

^^^^^^ Damn, makes me sad to see an F-body covered in snow and ice like that.

Here is what mine looks like this time of year:

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This was my GTO yesterday morning.. Bird's are clean and dry in the garage.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
A set of good snow tires will do more for you than anything else will. Put some Blizzaks on your car for the winter, and some extra weight in the back of the hatch, and you'll be fine. The typical tires you will find on an F-body are made for summer driving, and are positively awful for driving in snow. You might as well put skis on the car.

I had that happen to me the morning after I bought my STi... hadn't had time to get snow tires for it, and it snowed 3" the next morning. I couldn't go anywhere for a couple of days, the factory tires SUCKED on snow.
If you are REALLY serious about snow/ice traction in an f body, the Nokian Rsi will easily outperform the Blizzaks, but it is harder to find, and more $$$ when you do. Get 4 of these these, put 150-200# in the hatch, and you'll pass AWD cars/trucks with all seasons!

At least you had the sense to know that the AWD on your Subie would not save you with those semi slick road race tires it came with stock. I laugh when I see the local kids who can't even get up a snowy incline in these (and Evos), with the stock tires, EVEN with the center diff locked!!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dailydriver
If you are REALLY serious about snow/ice traction in an f body, the Nokian Rsi will easily outperform the Blizzaks, but it is harder to find, and more $$$ when you do. Get 4 of these these, put 150-200# in the hatch, and you'll pass AWD cars/trucks with all seasons!

At least you had the sense to know that the AWD on your Subie would not save you with those semi slick road race tires it came with stock. I laugh when I see the local kids who can't even get up a snowy incline in these (and Evos), with the stock tires, EVEN with the center diff locked!!
ive never heard of them. anyways, most of us on here with f-bodies probably arent really serious about traction with them in inclimate weather. im sure they are like me and would rather have a beater to drive, but cant afford it. they just get serious about it because they have no other choice.......