General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

did i earn it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
formerly 04 Rooster (2013-12-10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is always going to be someone who is jealous. This same situation happend to my best friend...he actually wasn't happy until he spent all of the money he got from his fathers estate. It wasn't a ridiculous amount of money. I bet there isn't a day that goes by where you wouldn't trade the money for your Dad. You need to be selfish and heal yourself...if buying a car helps that and helps you remember your Father, I say you did the right thing. Don't worry about haters who say you didn't earn it. It's not about 'earning it' when your Dad dies.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I dont have the self control that you do, or something else is wrong with me, but if I had lost both my parents right now (I am 21) and bought a car to help take my mind off of things and someone said **** to me, I would explain what I did once. If they ragged on it again, I would put to use the years of full contact fighting I so enjoyed and thats the last they would say to me.

Is that wrong? YES
Is that a poor way to handle it? YES
Would I suffer legal repercussion? Quite likely
Would I advise you to do this? No.
Would I feel guilty if I did it? No.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys your kind of putting it into perspective. i know for sure that nothing will bring my dad back but we had always talked about building a firehawk to go along with his 69 firebird. seeing as his car was black with gold stripes the 10th just kinda jumped out at me. id trade all the money, the cars,the house just to have my dad back for one day and be able to go to LACR with him one more time. i could go crazy and buy a ton of **** but it wont bring them back so ill just stick with a lightly built car done over time. really guys i dont know how to thank you youve helped me more then my own family. ill make sure to post some pics of the hawk next to his firebird when its done.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i guess earned would be the best word i could think to describe it, if it's something you and your dad did together and it has extreme sentimental value then i'm glad you bought it. It's something to pass your time with, something to keep you busy so you don't slump into a sort of depression. My mom lost her mom about 2 months ago (my grandma). She was there when she passed away, and for weeks on end all she could do was look at the pict. of her mothers hand holding her 4kids hands before she died. She would constantly watch the DVD of photos they played at her memorial, and she was just plain depressed. Don't let this happen to you - recollect of the best memories you have w/ you parents.. perhaps even a 'in memory of ...' sticker on the hatch would add another personal touch.
Your not spoiled, your just coping (sp?)
Old 01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

yeah man im 20 and if i lost my dad i dont know what i would do but we have talked about it even before i got my car that if something did happen he wanted me to take what ever money was left over even sell his harley if i had to, to go out and buy myself an SS because its what always wanted so for all those ppl bashing you i'd just tell them to **** off because they could not even possiable fathum (sp) the pain that you have went through i am deeply sorry for your loss on a lighter note it makes me happy to know that im not the only one on here that considers everyone family in a way ...best of luck pal
Old 01-18-2007, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

You earned your car man, but in a different light, a light you shouldnt have to see at such a young age w/ losing your parents. Im one million % positive that youd rather have them back than have any car.

I would be willing to bet that those people in your family wouldnt be saying a thing if they were in your position. Losing my Mother caused me to grow up at an early age, that was 7+ years ago. Im 22 now, and have owned 2 LS1 F-bodies. If a guy at my college had the nerve to say I didnt deserve one I'd have to tell them that I was busy defending their country while they were in middle school!! Alot of those kids @ my school probably think Im a spoiled rich kid. I bought both of mine from money I earned in the Marines. They travel in from the suburbs while I practically live downtown. I live w/ my brother, got 2 cars paid for, one getting there, and am saving money!!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CockerKid009
i guess earned would be the best word i could think to describe it, if it's something you and your dad did together and it has extreme sentimental value then i'm glad you bought it. It's something to pass your time with, something to keep you busy so you don't slump into a sort of depression. My mom lost her mom about 2 months ago (my grandma). She was there when she passed away, and for weeks on end all she could do was look at the pict. of her mothers hand holding her 4kids hands before she died. She would constantly watch the DVD of photos they played at her memorial, and she was just plain depressed. Don't let this happen to you - recollect of the best memories you have w/ you parents.. perhaps even a 'in memory of ...' sticker on the hatch would add another personal touch.
Your not spoiled, your just coping (sp?)

+1, my grandpa and I built my first car (with help from my dad and others too) Instead of being horridly depressed when he passed last year, I took his spark-plug gapper (I ALWAYS!!! remember seeing it on his key-ring) and put it on my key ring and whenever I work on a car or change plugs or whatever, its a fond memory. Dont get depressed, what you have done is GREAT! self-therapy and its not in excess AT ALL!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned

Maybe Joewee350 from this forum can weigh in. He was injured in a motorcycle wreck (NOT HIS FAULT!) and he has recieved a comfortable sum of money because of it. He would trade it all for the full use of his legs and to do away with the physical pain/loss of a LOT of muscle mass on his right leg/arm/shoulder due to nerve dammage. Did he work for his money? No. Would he trade it all back, HELL YES!!! and so would anyone else in his or your situation. People just see what you have and get all dick about it. They dont know the pain you went through and they cant understand what you have is CONSOLATION, NOT! some stupid reward or payoff. It's just something that you can have/hold to help and try to fill the void of what was lost and it never does. PEople just dont GET that. It sucks a lot man. Im sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Im sorry but im sure if you had a choice between your dad or the car you would pick the car. With that said yea the money was kinda "handed" to you, but im sure if you could have your family back and not have the money you would pick your family. Cant put a price on family, and Im sorry but if someone said that to me after going through what you went through Id be kicking someones *** and they would be goin to the hospital..... sorry to hear about your loss
Old 01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about what people think. If the car makes you feel good then it must be the right thing! Enjoy the car and cherish what it means to you.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

family isnt always all its cracked up to be. my father died a year ago, leaving me, my mother, and half brother his 'heirs'. 6 months later his mother died. since they went in that order, both his shyster, scumbag, lowlife ******* lawyer brothers fucked us out of my grandmothers (head of the family) will. in short, we lost our house, the home i was born and raised in my entire life, all because they want to hurry and settle the estate and spend their parents money....on things like a boat, shore house, another cadillac, etc. meanwhile my and my handicapped mother just want a roof over our heads. in short, i had to move out, at 29, with my mother to split the rent on the 1st of a 2 family house, all the while waiting for permits to clear to build my own house, for myself, handicapped mother, and grandmother who is going blind.
the point of this is to say, basically, **** family or anyone who critisizes you or what you do with your life/money. its YOUR life, and now YOUR money. what happened with the very little money (he was a mailman for 30yrs) my father left us......we paid off his truck, around 11k, sold it for 17k...my mother bought a new car (24k pontiac vibe), and paid off his credit cards and hospital bills. thats where the 'inheiratance' went......with what little money we're getting from my grandmothers estate, will go entirely to my new house, which is a renovation and addition project. does that make me spoiled, or taking advantage of money? i dont think so, and **** anyone who says different. in short, its your life, you make of it what you want. get yourself a place to live, one that someone else cant take away from you, and build a life out of whatever you have left. some people dont understand cars, and never will. its useless to explain how someone can have a passion and love for a car. dont waste your time on them.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Launching!

ok now this getting to be bs. you guys have helped me a ton but i just found out that out of spite because i bought my car my uncle who is in charge of the estate just sold off my dad's 04 SS Silverado,69 firebird, and the 68 hemi charger i built with him before he died. i just dont get it. why does someone have to do that.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

first, sorry to hear about your losses. second, did you earn that stuff?? really, who EARNS anything? I lived in central america for two years. I saw extreme poverty, people looking for food in dumps, 15 people living in 2 room houses the size of my garage, with dirt floors and if they were lucky, cinder block walls. did these people EARN their circumstances? no, that's just life. point is, we live in a place where for the most part we are all lucky, to some extent. everyone has trials and everyone has blessings. It is not up to any of us to judge another's situation and how they handle it. I think that there is a higher power that has It's hand in all this. Did you EARN the car, maybe maybe not. Do you deserve it? HELL YEA. You have been through some tough stuff and life decides to reward you with that, why shouldn't you enjoy it? I think that as long as we are considerate of others and don't let our things own us, it doesn't matter. I am sorry to hear that those around you can't just be happy for you. I am glad that you have that car. Enjoy it.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Meh, it is what it is. Mind your own damn business unless you are giving props or ASKED about it. JMHO.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

**** them.

but no, you didn't earn it....

but you definately didn't get it as a gift. Sorry for your loss.