General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Do I give him the money back?
0%
Do I give him part of the money back?
5.56%
Do I tell him, he had the motor for over a month, no Refund?
94.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: help me out with LS1....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No refund, can he prove he never installed the engine & damaged it? I mean come on, the guy had it for at least a month. If he can't, thats a 2 way street......"used" means "used"....It's a chance you take when u buy somethin used.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

life is rough...wear a helmet
Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

If he persist looking into legal action. Sounds like hes trying to get a free overhaul. I don't know much fo anything about motors either, but buying a used motor is risky. If the guy knows about motors and took a month to complain then tell him to beat it.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell him if he wanted a warranty he should have spent $5k on a crate motor.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Teching In

well, I was contacted again today by him stating that he wants $600.00 to cover the cost of repair. He did not show me an estimate, nor could he explain why it needed new bearings, polished crank and gaskets.

He did however tell me that he would take my leather seats as payment. Just sounds fishy....and I think I am going to take everyone's advice and tell him I am not giving him a refund, nor will I pay anything.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Car RamRod
life is rough...wear a helmet

that is the funniest board name ever Farva is the man
Old 02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hell no!!!! If I were you I wouldn't trade. I would tell him that after what he has done it would be in his best intrest not to call anymore and he sure had better not ever come by unannonced again.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Launching!

id tell him to suck it!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

it's not your fault that the motor went bad, it's not like you knew the motor was shot to begin with. He bought a used motor and that's the chance you take. It sucks, but that's life.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fedge
it's not your fault that the motor went bad, it's not like you knew the motor was shot to begin with. He bought a used motor and that's the chance you take. It sucks, but that's life.
thats just it, it worked fine when it was in the car, no noise, nothing in the oil, nothing out of the ordinary. It didn't even have the "LS1 Pistonslap" The motor works just fine. The only reason I even posted this poll was becuae i wanted to be as fair as possible. I even took less money than i originally wanted for it, and I gave him a few free parts (guages to match mileage, and spare tire)

I think I am going to forward this thread on to him, and see where we go from there.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

i noticed the post and im am the buyer he is talking about and everything he posted is right about the problems with the motor and i will post pics.the reason i would like him to do something about the problem is that i paid good money for a motor ($2800) thinking it would be a perfect motor but theres a problem with it.Im a 16 year kid and i worked my *** off to save for this motor and now i have to pay more to fix it with money that i dont have .i want to just work something out with u jim thats all. hey for all u guys that said no refund put yourself in my shoes what would u do.

broken bolt

timing cover

Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

also if anyone wonders why cover was remove after i bought engine is when i bought motor it had no balancer on it so i was told to change seal when i install the new balancer so i pulled cover to change seal and this is what was found.

bolt that hits the back of the timing chain.

comlpete motor shot

Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

here the pics of the motor.the reason i had to wait a month to see him was because it was hard to contact him and i was very busy with school and mid trems.he told me the cam was install by a reputable company but who ever did install it didi something wrong.there is no reason there should be a broken bolt in the block,bolts hiting the back of the timing chain and front timing bolts hitting the front cover theres a problem
Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Soooooo....why does the crank need to be polished? and new bearings?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

because of all the metal from the bolt head and timing chain cover being curiclated and scratching the crank shaft the machine shop reconmended the polishing of the crank and new bearings
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Teching In

the shaving from the bolt head and contact to timing chain cover are so fine that they would not have done any damage to the crank shaft. the main reason being that the way gm designed the windage tray and the oil filter tube the shaving would have never made it up to the crank. the opening in the front side of the motor goes directly to the bottom of the oil pan and the opposite end of where the filter tube is. and by the way not that much of the bolt cam off when it made contact with the timing chain cover. what did make contact to the actual cover itself didnt do much. you lose more " shavings" in the initial start up of a motor from the factory with the piston rings making contact to the cylinder walls. that is why an oil filter is install in the vehicle to ensure particals are filtered in order not to do damage to the moving internal parts. that is why the dealer recommends an oil change right after break in miles on a new vehicle, to flush what is in there out of the motor. i personally believe that the money owed to you would be $2.75 the cost of a new timing sprocket to cam bolt. and a little elbow grease sanding down the inside of the timing cover. my .02
Old 02-09-2007, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

yea but theres a problem there and how could a well know shop do this kind of work
Old 02-10-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

The shop doing bad work is not 01Camaro_SS's fault. All he is doing is selling a "USED" engine that you bought. You need to understand that if you buy something used there is ALWAYS the possibility that something could go wrong and you should have prepared yourself for that possibility. And you made a huge mistake by going to his house unannounced at 9 a.m. in the morning.

He was concerned enough about your situation to ask our opinion about it to see if there was something more he could do for you and I feel like that was pretty admirable of him. I think you should take this as a lesson learned for the next time you decide to buy a used item. 01Camaro_SS has done all that he needed to do and he has expressed his sympathy for your situation and I feel like this issue should be put to rest. Sorry for your misfortune man and good luck getting it fixed.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KillA98Z
yea but theres a problem there and how could a well know shop do this kind of work

Dude you bought a motor that is just fine for a good price.

You could have bought a motor that was run at 6k for minutes on end with burning oil and had the crap beat out of it a million other ways.

It's like complaining about how your painted wheels have little scuffs on them after you took them to NTB to be balanced, rotated, and had an alignment done on the car.

Scuffs aren't going to mean a replacement of a wheel or an engine.

Hence the reason it has an oil filter on it.

Also saying $600 or your leather seats is... I can't even think of the proper term it brings to mind.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

used is just that used. If you wanted new you should have gone that route. I know that it sucks but like some others have already said I don't think you have a major problem there. The metal from the bolt and cover is only minor and should be taken care of by the filter. If it's only gonna cost 600 to fix it the way you want save the money and fix it. Look at it this way 2800 for the motor and 600 to refresh and your still ahead of a new crate motor. Or if you think you still got hosed go to small claims court and try to get your money back, but stop knocking on peoples doors at 9am