General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I Need Your Help Spending Some Dough!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007 | 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default I Need Your Help Spending Some Dough!

OK,
i filled for my tax return today...i should have it within two weeks... im getting 1900 back i could prolly put in 100 to make it 2000... now i want to dump it all in my car...lol... but not spend it all stupid. cuz then i wont hardly get anything... i want to do a cam install.. i have all the valvetrain stuff.. and springs are good to 650...so i need to pick a cam... i was thinkin somewhere along the lines of ms3 or torquer3.... the things i get dont have to be new... obviously cuz im trying to save money..my car is auto...so a stall would be nice... i can get the cam installed for 250...but i could also try myself... and would need a dyno tune.. i want to help the suspension alil if i can...and also get some nice sticky tires on some cheap wheels... if you have something u think i mite want..post it.. ill consider... also let me kno wht u guys think i should get... its a DD and sees the track 2-3 times a month.. i have bolt ons... so its time for the next step in mods....sooooooooooo...without further adue...wat do u guys think? what are some routes i can go? what would you buy for your car? what do you recomend?

Last edited by stangkiller2005; 01-27-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-27-2007 | 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone???
Old 01-27-2007 | 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

i suggest you shop around some more....for specific parts instead of just saying i need this or that
Old 01-27-2007 | 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staringback05
i suggest you shop around some more....for specific parts instead of just saying i need this or that
well i was lookin for oppions on witch rout to go...

the way i was thinkin to go was

cam
sfc,lca's, and relocation brackets.
cheepo wheels, with sticky tires...
stall
and also a tune..

what i wanted was to see peoples oppions on witch parts.. maybe they have something for sale... and just there oppion on what they think is the best route for that money considering my position...
Old 01-27-2007 | 02:51 PM
NKAWTG...N

Guys if your not gonna post to help the guy and only flame his typing skills then GTFO of this thread.

Stangkiller,

I suggest calling one of the reputable sponsors we have and asking them for their advice. Tell them how much you have and what your looking for. Also if you can't do the labor yourself, 2k isn't gonna get you very far after the cam swap.
Old 01-27-2007 | 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^ agreed. $2000 will get you a stall, trans cooler, tune, mild suspension mods, installed. thats the route i would go since your kind of on a budget. i believe in doing things right, and with a cam swap, things may add up fast ( ported oil pump, ls2 timing chain, hardened push rods, springs, maybe injectors or fuel pump). and you wont be able to take advantage of the cam with out a stall so figure if your going to cam it, you will need to stall it too. and a good tune will cost you around $500, unless you can do it yourself, but then you would have to buy the tuner.

id get the stall, trans cooler, tires. save the rest for either a future cam swap, or for a 100 dry shot. just my .02 cents.
Old 01-27-2007 | 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys..thats more of the kind of help i have been looking for..

as for the oil pump, and pushrods and stuff. i have all that.. i have the complete valvetrain stuff.. dual springs "good to 650" , ls6 ported oil pump, new seats, titanium retainers, basically a cam install package without the cam, and gaskets.. the only thing that i would need to complete the cam install would be the cam itself, timing chain, and gaskets... that shouldnt add up to to much if i shop around.. ive seen a used ms3 go for 220 bucks... and a timing chain for 40 bucks... those are the kinda deals ima be looking for.. of coarse the gaskets and stuff ima get new... as for a stall thats the one i think that would cost most... and yes i agree to get cam, stall and tune i would have to install everything myself.. i have a few friends that i know would beable to help me complete the task... i would just need to make sure we have all the tools were gunna need.. theres a guy around here that does cam, and oil pump installs for 250 bucks.. i could get my cam, and install it for 500 bucks.. thats pretty good if ya ask me... the stall i was lookin for is a ss3600 or a pt4000...but i duno if ill have enough... i also do want to beef up the suspension..but i can do that alil at a time...i have lcas.. but i want to change them out...cuz there those really noisy kind... i was thinkin i could prolly even get a heads and cam package.. and install it myself.. but would prolly have to wait on a tune.. unless i get my pcm tuned just for the time being...
Old 01-27-2007 | 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

I would go for the stall and suspension mods seeing that you already have the valvetrain upgrades. Im guessing you are going to be wanting to lower and enable it to handle better as well. ( Springs, shocks. SFC's and maybe some swaybars... just an idea of things to buy) . Im sure you could get a stall and a nice suspension set up for $2000. Whatever you dont spend on those things , you could go towards buying a cam and getting it installed a couple weeks/months down the road. I would go ahead and knock the more expensive things off the list. But it all comes down to what route you feel like the car needs to take.
Old 01-27-2007 | 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
I would go for the stall and suspension mods seeing that you already have the valvetrain upgrades. Im guessing you are going to be wanting to lower and enable it to handle better as well. ( Springs, shocks. SFC's and maybe some swaybars... just an idea of things to buy) . Im sure you could get a stall and a nice suspension set up for $2000. Whatever you dont spend on those things , you could go towards buying a cam and getting it installed a couple weeks/months down the road. I would go ahead and knock the more expensive things off the list. But it all comes down to what route you feel like the car needs to take.

yea bro that sounds like a good route to go aswell... i kno with stall, suspension mods, and some sticky tires i can make a big improvement in the 1/4... but dam i want that chopy idle so bad...
im getting some sportlines for a really good deal... i dunno if i wanna fork out the money for QA1's cuz dam they are expensive.. wouldnt some bilstiens (sp?) be sufficient?