General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hey, do any of you old timer GM guys remember this engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007 | 09:39 AM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Well, I've never seen one of those engines before, and judging by the intake and exhaust spacing of most Pontiac V8's, that does not follow the typical pattern. I did go look at a couple pictures on Google and those do match the pattern of this one. Keep in mind, I am only 31, so these were far before my time. Yeah, that's my excuse
Old 01-28-2007 | 09:14 PM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Originally Posted by Y2KZX12R
Sorry, I know its off topic and old iron, but I thought some of you firebird guys would like to see a real RA V engine.
When I was a kid we used to blow up an awfull lot of RA-III and RA-IV engines. GTO,s were cheep when i was a kid.
By 1978 GTO's were $1000 for a nice one that needed some work. $500 for a running parts car, and $2000 got ya a nice one all original. Between my buddies, friends, and brother in law we blew up, totaled out, and parted out some rare Iron.
Makes me cry now. What a sin.
It's cool with me....I'm a 'bird guy

Don't cry over the lost cars.....you had fun with them. That's what they're for
Old 01-28-2007 | 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2KZX12R
Sorry, I know its off topic and old iron, but I thought some of you firebird guys would like to see a real RA V engine.
When I was a kid we used to blow up an awfull lot of RA-III and RA-IV engines. GTO,s were cheep when i was a kid.
By 1978 GTO's were $1000 for a nice one that needed some work. $500 for a running parts car, and $2000 got ya a nice one all original. Between my buddies, friends, and brother in law we blew up, totaled out, and parted out some rare Iron.
Makes me cry now. What a sin.
yeah, the 60's market is now incredible. My great uncle had a 63 split window, he cut the split window out, along with some of his buddies and their vettes to make em look like 64's...he cries now thinking about it.
Old 01-28-2007 | 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Well, I've never seen one of those engines before, and judging by the intake and exhaust spacing of most Pontiac V8's, that does not follow the typical pattern. I did go look at a couple pictures on Google and those do match the pattern of this one. Keep in mind, I am only 31, so these were far before my time. Yeah, that's my excuse
oh, you can't use age as an excuse. i am 27 and knew what that was by the first picture. big, BIG money just for heads. "slight" differences shown would be the revised lifter bore area and different valve placement. oh, and those "little" tunnel ports. the RA-V wasn't stopped because Pontiac was scared, it was because chevy was scared (thats the argument i am sticking with anyway). if i remember correctly, the engine was designed with Pontiacs Trans-Am race program in mind. and actually had engineers that had been part of fords tunnel port programs. there are also a few sets of hemispherical chambered Pontiac heads out there too. thats right, a Pontiac "Hemi".

p.s. you should ask the guy how much they are worth, you just might puke.

i guess this isnt common knowledge in this hobby, but i am first and foremost a Pontiac junkie, but the 4th gen/LS1 thing ranks right up there close.
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:39 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Well, Chevy was my number one division for awhile until I started getting heavily into Pontiacs. I don't have a vast knowledge of Pontiac engines obviously, but ask me something about a small or big block Chevy and I'll probably know it.