General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

So I nearly died last night...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to say, I agree with some of the people saying how stupid it was.. drinking 2-3 doesn't get you a buzz or get you drunk, but it does make you tired as hell! Anyway good luck with the whole process and hopefully you can find another TA or something just as nice.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Get a lawyer, sorry it happened and i hope you come out on top
Old 02-04-2007, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Ya' know, I think it's pretty shitty that some of you can't show any sympathy. I highly doubt you people have NEVER had a drink or two when you knew you'd be driving later. The guy said it was HOURS before, and it wasn't like he was downing shots of tequila! What caused the wreck wasn't the alcohol, it was falling asleep. That can happen to anyone. I've gotten drowsy while driving on several occasions. I've tried blasting music, rolling down the windows, taking caffeine pills, energy drinks, coffee, etc etc. Those things won't stop you from falling asleep all the time. Accidents happen. I'm sure with a good lawyer, everything will work out okay. I'm glad you didn't get hurt, cars are replaceable, the driver's arent! Good luck with everything.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah man, get a lawyer asap, dont let your record get screwed or the insurance companies weasel their way out of paying for the repair/settlement. Good to hear your ok, thats the ONLY thing that really matters
Old 02-04-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a lawyer
Old 02-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

get a lawyer you dont want that **** on your record, especially if it happens again.

GET a LaWYER
Old 02-04-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, definately get a lawyer. It will be costly but you will be better off having one. And I know it sucks having a wreck and totaling your car, I have had my fair share of them but you are alive and breathing. As for everyone else casting stones, I am sure you have NEVER made a mistake in all you lives. He knows he messed up and he feels bad enough about it w/out you putting him down. Let's pick our brothers up when they are down and support them however we can. Good luck with everything man
Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

good luck in your owners manual is says u can have up to 3 drinks and most will pass a breath test anyway good luck
Old 02-04-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

damn dude that sucks, you have to be more careful
Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just pull over? I have done it before on long road-trips. If you feel tired. Pull Over. Parents/gf/wife going to bitch? Give em' a call and tell them what you are doing. A little static is better than a lot of static.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Get a good lawyer. Don't be a cheap ***. You will need a good lawyer, but they will save you. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but a good lawyer is worth their wait in gold.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '01HAWK
Get a good lawyer. Don't be a cheap ***. You will need a good lawyer, but they will save you. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but a good lawyer is worth their wait in gold.

I know it’s just a brain fart but kind of funny: Lawyer, WAIT = gold.

Yeah man get a lawyer, they same thing happened to this guy I knew. He just re-enlisted, bought a new car and had a few drinks fell asleep and totaled the car he just bought 3 days prior. He was given a DUI, the army was going to kick him out and the insurance wouldn't pay for the car. He got a lawyer and won. He was totally screwed until he got a lawyer. Oh and sorry about your luck.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After the offer performed FST's, did he take you down for a blood test and or intoxalizer reading? Field tests are used for the officer to find enough cause to arrest you for suspicion of DUI. A PBT(preliminary breath test), also known as the little boxes they carry around and make you blow in, is also not allowed in court as evidence. Field tests in addition to blood tests are what they will use against you as evidence. Make sure you get a lawyer NOW NOW NOW!!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, turns out it was not a DUI I was arrested for, but a OVI or something like that, never heard of it.

I had no blood tests, I guess he arrested me because of the pen test, I took a breathalyzer at the station and passed it. I'm pretty sure I failed the pen test cuz I had just had the air bags deploy in my face and was still shaken up. He didn't ask if I had contacts and I had the bag dust in my eyes and and my contacts were all dried out from wearing all day. I was not drunk, I communicated and co-operated really well, I was just freaked out still lol. I don't have money for an attorney, my parents are helping me figure out what to do.

So far I guess tommorow I am going to go in and say I would like a public defender and hopefully they re-schedule a hearing. Parents are telling me to plead no contest to the failure to control and not guilty to the other charge. Hoping that they will creat a plea bargain and reduce or eliminate the OVI and just get me on the failure to control. They think that because I was not asked if I wore contacts during the pen test that I can get by it. And i'm suposed to be sure to tell a lawyer about the airbags and my vision being a bit whack at the time hoping he can use that to defend.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sorry for your loss. I've almost fallen asleep on long drives more than once. While I was going to school in Indy I'd drive home on weekends, about 500 miles, after I got out of school at 10:15. Theres a few times that I don't remember about 1-1.5 miles of straight road, all I remember is the rumble strips on the side of the roads. That happend to me 3 or 4 times, after that I found the next exit ramp or rest stop and took a 30-45 min nap, that usually got me the rest of the way home.

I hope everything works out for the better.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ice Knight
OK, turns out it was not a DUI I was arrested for, but a OVI or something like that, never heard of it.

I had no blood tests, I guess he arrested me because of the pen test, I took a breathalyzer at the station and passed it. I'm pretty sure I failed the pen test cuz I had just had the air bags deploy in my face and was still shaken up. He didn't ask if I had contacts and I had the bag dust in my eyes and and my contacts were all dried out from wearing all day. I was not drunk, I communicated and co-operated really well, I was just freaked out still lol. I don't have money for an attorney, my parents are helping me figure out what to do.

So far I guess tommorow I am going to go in and say I would like a public defender and hopefully they re-schedule a hearing. Parents are telling me to plead no contest to the failure to control and not guilty to the other charge. Hoping that they will creat a plea bargain and reduce or eliminate the OVI and just get me on the failure to control. They think that because I was not asked if I wore contacts during the pen test that I can get by it. And i'm suposed to be sure to tell a lawyer about the airbags and my vision being a bit whack at the time hoping he can use that to defend.
Oh, you passed the Intoxilyzer 5000 - you're home free. You have nothing to worry about. What is that OVI? Operating a Vehicle Intoxicated? No, you passed the Intoxilyzer, he's shotgunning you now. (He's going to throw every charge against you and go with whatever sticks).

Listen carefully, and I'm telling you this as a former Deputy Sheriff...DO. NOT. USE. A. PUBLIC. DEFENDER. Do not plead this. Run, do not walk, and go get a DUI Lawyer. Let 'em have that "failure to control" but fight the hell out of ANY kind of DUI/OUI/DWI. That will **** up your driving record and insurance for a LONG time. They cannot prove intoxication, and to convict you of this the burden of proof is on them.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jesus Had his hand on you. You coulda been dead. Thank God You are alive. You can always get another car.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let this be a lesson learned, if your tired and dozzing off. Like said above pull over and just take a nap it will do wonders. I've had to do it before coming home from the street races late at night. Sorry bout your loss man that sucks.. Hopefully you can get you another car.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

this sucks man. sorry to hear about your loss. though i dont think that one beer and two chic drinks would have effected your driving that much to wreck your car. it was probably more the sleep thing than anything. good luck man.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000LS1TA
As the MA State Police say on the radio all the time, "you drink, you drive, YOU LOSE!" you lost!!!
...it's the lawr in Massachusetts! Although that might be the seatbelt commercial.

Anyways, yeah, it'll almost surely be totalled, but if you get a lawyer you'll be good. Sorry to hear about it.