General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Autocheck Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocheck Question

Ok, a buddy just bought a ceta trans am on ebay and lives in Canada. The dealer was in the states. The ebay ad talks about how pristine the car is, clean autocheck, inspected, ect...Car has to go through canada customs, ect,,,misc fees are paid by the buyer to get the car to his house in canada. When he looks at car,,,it was severly modded, and half *** changed back, there is a huge drill hole in the door jam. Lots of signs the car had NX too. Soo he was pissed but nothing he could do about it.

Car showed alot of signs of being hit, and a friend ran a carfax, not autocheck. Carfax showed it was wrecked!!!! He paid $700 for shipping and another $500 to customs to get the car in Canada.

Anyone know what he can do?? He desperatly wants the dealer to take back the car for FRAUD, but I dont think the dealer is even responding to his calls. Autocheck only has a buyback if there is title issues, and the title is clean, car was not totaled. He called an attorney in canada where he lives and the attorney said he would have to hire a usa attorney, plus he signed the papers saying "as is". The dealer said it was also inspected and perfect.

ANY ADVISE would be great.

ps - he paid $20k for the car with 50k miles, and now he finds out the carfax says it was wrecked!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

contact a lawyer, he will be able to tell your friend wether this is a civil matter or he has enough to go to the police...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is screwed. He signed an "As Is" statement and he has no written statement reguarding it's condition. Words are cheap, ink matters.

If I were him I would threaten to go public and destroy the dealership with the press. They would lose MUCH! more money that way than refunding him. If they are smart and he is serious, that may work.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's screwed, should have run a carfax before buying it.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asuperdave
The ebay ad talks about how pristine the car is, clean autocheck, inspected, ect...
Link to auction?

If it was grossly misrepresented, he might have a chance. Maybe a US attorney can take it on, BUT he should be aware a lot of sleazy lawyers will promise you the world just to get the retainer, then deliver nothing. There are good attorneys, but he needs to do what he didn't do with the TA, investigate. Ask for recommendations, check with BBB, etc.

Yes, he really should have paid someone to inspect it if he couldn't do it himself. I think they charge ~ $75 to go out and look at a car. I bought a car off Ebay, but I sent only a $500 deposit via paypal, didn't cough up the balance till I went to inspect/pick it up. If it had been a ripoff, would have reversed the deposit with paypal, or with my credit card if paypal wouldn't make me happy.

Hate to hear this kind of crap, post the dealer so people can be warned not to do business with these scumbags. Good luck to your buddy.