General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

corvettes overated and fbodies underated article

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back on the subject.

C5's and fbodies dyno the same unless your running a Z06.

The only thing vettes have going for them is craftsmanship, weight reduction, and aerodynamics....and also looking mean as hell.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kdstang
To my understanding, it was more to keep the Corvette crowd from getting pissed off. I would get pissed off too if I paid 40,000 for a car that has the same engine as a car that cost 25,000.

Ditto except that at one point the Z28 was around only $22.5k, talk about a steal.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember when the first 4th Gen F-Bodies first rolled out and dyno numbers started coming in well above the advetised horsepower numbers. The 'vette owners werecalling some FACTORY FREAKS ... as more and more were dyno'd stock and picking up great numbers there were actually a handful whcih really were fitting of the term, however, most dyno'd 15-30 RWHP which equated to nearly 350 at the motor. I wish I could take more weight off my car without losing sound quality ... squeaks and rattles are somewhat embarrassing, thoug. The 'vettes have a stout tranny and rearend, so you have to spend less money on them to make them fast and hold the power. A lot of F-Body owners eventually go the Corvette route, but, me .... I'll never give up my T/A.

And my next car will be a Z06. It will remain stock and my 1999 T/A will be an all-out racer ... for now, it gets me groceries ...
Old 02-17-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

^^aren't the trannys the same, just diferent gearing?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep pretty much!

Now the rear-ends are EXACTLY the same, just completely different.

The F-body is the all out drag race car due to the ease of the 12-bolt or Ford 9" rear-end swap.

Now the Corvette dyno's a bit different also because of the heavier IRS compared to the feather weight 10-bolt. You slap a 9 inch on their and it'll drain a bit of power.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

To my understanding, it was more to keep the Corvette crowd from getting pissed off. I would get pissed off too if I paid 40,000 for a car that has the same engine as a car that cost 25,000.
In 99 when I first took my bone stock TA to the track, I was running consistent low 13's. Then I lined up with a 99 C5 M6 and he only beat me by .15 two runs (we hot lapped) in a row. Nobody believed me the car was bone stock including him. He just said, "I missed a shift." so I asked him "Two times in a row?" and he just walked away.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was the f-body underrated? oh yes, definitely.

was the corvette overrated? no, the corvette was simply rated properly.

engine dynos have to be done to post horsepower. they have to have proof, so they really can't overrate them. they can, however, underrate them all they want.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dixonk
Engine performance might be the same but features, stability, and handling is apples and oranges on these cars. The corvette is just packed with nice little luxuries, e.g. telescoping steering wheel, suspension damping, HUD, dual climate zones, etc. etc. etc. Having owned both I will say the corvette definetly deserves its overrated attention.
My car doesn't have any of those options (Z51 FRC) and it's still lightyears ahead of the fbody and I love every bit of it. Truly an amazing sports car for the money and imo competes with some exotics in looks, speed, price, and potential.

Originally Posted by SHINER

The only thing vettes have going for them is craftsmanship, weight reduction, and aerodynamics....and also looking mean as hell.
ya...only...
Old 02-17-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why? A vette is an entirely different world from an f-body, whether it shares the same engine or not. The handling, the interior, all of the nice amenities it comes with...

I think the whole under/overrated thing is stupid...who cares. Want to know what the car makes or runs? Dyno it. Track it. Who cares about factory ratings anyway.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
No matter what F-Bodies have the most hideous interior ever and i think that is where most critics started ripped the car in other areas after. I just realized how ugly the interior is even though this is my 11th 4th gen
My F bod has leather seats, leather interior doors, leather wrapped steering wheel, etc. What is so hideous about that?! I like the interior and looks in my SS.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

All of the vette owners should be happy that they put an fbody engine in the vette. That is why they are fast.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by darcar1
All of the vette owners should be happy that they put an fbody engine in the vette. That is why they are fast.
yes because we all know the 97 Trans Am/Z28 came with the standard LS1.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Smile My 2 cents...

I would say that the F-body's were definitely underrated but after driving quite a few F-body's and now owning a C5...for the money, the C5 is hard to beat!
I'm talking about the car as a package not just horsepower...hydroformed frame rails, IRS, forged aluminum suspension components, even weight distribution, gas mileage, interior design...and not mentioning the look of the car! The SS and TA's do look nice but my no means as exotic or eye catching as the body lines on the vette.
The F-body's were definitely underrated when it comes to performance for the dollar though also...
Anyway just my 2 cents on the subject lol,
Donnie
Old 02-18-2007, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Corvette never had EGR.

Argh, EGR how I hate you... that's why I sold my 1999 (that and I had no place to park it anymore). I moved to an emissions area and despite the exhaust being clean they had to have the part on the car.

Oh how I hate you EGR!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by keliente
Why? A vette is an entirely different world from an f-body, whether it shares the same engine or not. The handling, the interior, all of the nice amenities it comes with...

I think the whole under/overrated thing is stupid...who cares. Want to know what the car makes or runs? Dyno it. Track it. Who cares about factory ratings anyway.
To answer this, I'll quote myself from a previous post here:

However, everyone knows how car guys are, most of them only think about the engine and how much power it makes, and to tell most of the "I-bought-a-corvette-as-a-status-symbol" guys that their LS1 covette has the same engine as a firebird/camaro and they'll probably give you the evil eye and curse your firstborn.
Of course, I think the corvette is entirely worth the money. Compared to other sports cars, its probably the bargain of the last decade. Car guys' brains are wired differently, they want something "more" as in "engine size" if they are going to pay about $15,000 more. Proof of this is found in the current baby boomer muscle car craze, the bigger the power, the more its worth.

True enthusiasts, who know and appreciate what the vette is all about, realize the whole package is what matters.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Corvette- true sports car that can also tear up the dragstrip
F-body- boulevard brawler, cheap to make fast and handles well enough to be fun

The engines are basically the same with the Corvette getting a minutely different cam spec. The solid-rear in the F-body is more efficient, but the Vette has a better exhaust set-up. Bone stock a Corvette should be a couple of tenths quicker because of the weight difference, better contact patch and aerodynamics. However, the LS1 F-body is the new 5.0 Stang insofar as being inexpensive, easy to make fast and developing a loyal following.

I love both and have one of each...
Old 02-18-2007, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick

The engines are basically the same with the Corvette getting a minutely different cam spec.
only differing cam specs i have ever heard of are between ls1 years, not f-bodies and vettes...
Old 02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
yes because we all know the 97 Trans Am/Z28 came with the standard LS1.
I hope you realize that it was just a joke and I know the Vette had it first. I also think that the C5 is one of the best looking Vette's made. I was looking at them along with the TA's since there is only about a 5k price diffrence. Just always had TA's and I have one brother with a vette and another with a 03 mach 1 so I had to switch it up a bit. Either way both cars are fun to drive, get looks on the street and have plenty of horsies to get us in trouble.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Corvettes are amazing veicles, but so are the fbodies, ive seen fbodies blow corvettes off the street, hell, bone stock id take on corvettes in my old convertable 1995 z28 and guess who won? me. we were neck and neck really, but he was too afraid to scratch his car, i paid 6k for mine, he paid 60k for his, and we both had about the same power... tahts one thing that the fbodies have that the corvettes will never have, way more bang for the buck. 1998 camaro - 10k. 1998 vette- 30k engine? ls1. tranny? t56. also, to you vette owners out there with your stock vettes sayin they are faster cuz they are lighter, come and weigh up against my 98 z. i promise im lighter

but dont get me wrong, i respect vettes, they are cehvy made, they are the brother of the camaro and ta, lets not be dissing each others cars here comparing them, we know the corvette is overall a better car, thats what you pay for! i just cant afford a vette, so i got the next best thing, a camaro! its fun as hell! my friends camaro is getting modded to have 1200 hp, he has the money to buy a vette and do that, but he likes camaros handling better than a vettes, having driven everything froma 1969 camaro to a 2006 z06, its a hard call. i love vettes, and camaros... ugh. im happy with my camaro though, till i get $$ to get a vette, im gonna smoke stangs and ricers with my camaro, most people in hawaii dont know wtf a camaro is, they see my car and are like wtf that thing looks badass, everyone knows what a vette is there, i kinda like that element, ricers dont know what they are up against, stang owners dont know, its great..
Old 02-18-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
only differing cam specs i have ever heard of are between ls1 years, not f-bodies and vettes...
There is a chart somewhere on this site that lists all the specs. The Vette did get a slightly different cam up until 2001. I'll see if I can find/post it...